Hey, Zeppelin's "Stairway" is in the key of Am, right? I'm pretty sure it is, I just want to make sure.
Ohhh...My head hurts...

Quote by Inahrima
^ have i told you i keep misreading your title as UG's biggest bad greek?
Quote by beatles_rock09
Hey, Zeppelin's "Stairway" is in the key of Am, right? I'm pretty sure it is, I just want to make sure.

Yes.
Minister of Zeppelinism, PM TheHeartBreaker to join
#6 member of the oasis fan club
Cardinal of The 1st Church of Frusciantism
'89 fender american strat
Vox ad15vt
Peavey raptor plus EXP(bridge: alnico 2 pro)
yamaha f-310p
A minor pentatonic, or C major, learn both scales and youll be able to solo better, learn about relative keys
NOT Cmajor. Aminor. NOT Cmajor. Aminor. Same notes, BIG difference.
Looking for my India/Django.
Quote by sexy-man
its called realtive keys, learn your theory dude

Just because they have the same notes doesn't mean that it has the same feel. Each scale has it's own feel, not because of the notes in the scale, but because of the starting and ending points of the scale.
my point is they both work, and by knowing both, you extend the amount of notes past the very limited 5 notes of a minor, dont give me bull**** about feel
when you improv you dont play the scale up and down, you play the notes in the scale it aint worth a rats ass where it ends
Quote by sexy-man
when you improv you dont play the scale up and down, you play the notes in the scale it aint worth a rats ass where it ends

Dude, I would just stop posting.
Quote by sexy-man

Major = Happy
Minor = Sad

So how can the same notes convey two different emotions? Usually it always resolves to one or the other, typically by ending on that note, or emphasizing it throughout the piece.

Bry
Quote by sexy-man

That's pretty wrong.
Current Equipment:

Ibanez SZ 520
Peavey Bandit Selling
Pro Co Turbo RAT Selling
Digitech RP300A Selling

PM For Details.
yup im w/ redwings on this one fer sure, you could do c major over it COULD being the key word but it would sound all weird having a minor key with the major running over it at the same time.
Quote by sexy-man

When you play a scale up and down, you are playing the noes in the scale. All licks and riffs are just notes ascending and descending. And what is a good solo without any feel? A bunch of notes that just run together is what it is.
Sexy-man, you just made a huge ass mistake. Learn YOUR Theory dude. 5 notes in a minor? What the hell? And yes, soloing, it does matter where you end, its called resolve. If your playing a IV chord, and you play the leading tone of the key, thats gonna sound like **** dude. The Am Penatonic specifically does not have these notes to avoid this. Soloing in "C major" would ruin it.
Quote by sexy-man
my point is they both work, and by knowing both, you extend the amount of notes past the very limited 5 notes of a minor, dont give me bull**** about feel

And that's why you'll never get anywhere...

Well, feel does matter, that's pretty what music is about. Or at least to me it is. The feel. And uhhh...there's 7 notes in a minor not counting the octave. lol
Quote by krymson
I hope that we could get some real metal out there. I guess A7X a start...
But nu metal does have its moments like Slipknot Mushroomhead and Korn.

Quote by VR2005
...Scales are basically the most useless thing in jazz...

Quote by sexy-man

How do you extend the amount of notes when they use the same ones?

And quite obviously you're not a good soloist if you happen to hear the same thing when you play Cmaj and Amin. You have no recognition of resolution, of chord tones, etc.

Before you start talking ****, think about it first.

red
u could play the same shape as the C major but ur landing note should be the A still u can't call it C major
Quote by Jimi Hendrix
The Blues Is Easy To Play But Hard To Feel.

Quote by Chris Impellitteri
I Promise That My Solos Will Only Get Faster.
[Practice Makes Perfect][Hell Yeah]
before this gets out of hand (and it will), and since the question was answered...

**closed**