While playing acoustic, I find it very hard to sing without messing up the rhythem I am playing, even if it is just a simple chord change such as Melissa by the Allman Brothers, any tips on how to sing while playing.
UG's Official Tenacious D fan
Practice until the playing is automatic. When you don't have to think about the guitar, you can concentrate on the singing. I can only sing and play like one song. You might try singing as you learn the song.....I've never tried it, but maybe it will help. I'm not an expert because I stink at singing, but in my limited experiance, it has been better for me to know the song cold, then try and sing it. Try both, see which works for you.
Quote by chipsahoy
You don't like the smell of some other guy's poop? Hmmm...smells like home to me.
i can play alot of songs, but can only sing along with one. ummmm the thing that made it easy for me to sing the song was its only D and G chords the whole way through. What I Got by Sublime. alot of people enjoy that song and its very easy to play if your jsut struming it. so practice with that a little to jsut get a "feel" for it. like dude man said. . . .you jsut gotta know how to play the song. your fingers jsut gotta do it cause the whole timne your singin that all your thinkin about. alos. ive been told to read things while you play. i sit in my apartment and read the posters, liqor bottles, mute the t.v. and read the news while you play. humming has helped a little aswell. sing the song in your head while you play. remeber when to change chords depending on what part and word you are at in the song. hope that helps alittle.
LAISSEZ LES BON TEMPS ROULER
Let it flow... When you jam with your band, or are just messing around in front of people, talk to them while you play. Talking it out of rhythm, and will improve it more, so when you need the vocals, the in rhythm stuff is easy.

I sing to Opeth songs, Pink Floyd Songs, and Doors songs (as my voice can hit all three of those ranges, except some of Mikael's upper ranges). Opeth songs especially are hard to do, as it's generally two completely different rhytms at once.
for me singing with songs that involve only easy strumming chords is no sweat. you just gotta know the song like everyone has said. i strum around when i'm on the phone and such to keep my rhythm practice up. songs with lyrics that hit right when the chords change are easiest. anyways practice makes perfect.
Nowadays all the songs on the radio, all drive me crazy.
Its just practicing over and over and over again...I have terrible rhythym so i have to know a song REALLY well to sing to it.
Beauty Supreme

Yeah you were right about me
Quote by schitz
Practice until the playing is automatic. When you don't have to think about the guitar, you can concentrate on the singing. I can only sing and play like one song. You might try singing as you learn the song.....I've never tried it, but maybe it will help. I'm not an expert because I stink at singing, but in my limited experiance, it has been better for me to know the song cold, then try and sing it. Try both, see which works for you.

My thoughts exactly.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
^-- i couldn't agree more... especially for a beginner. when you first start learning to play and sing at the same time... start with a song you know extremely well. it needs to be a song that you can hear every little change and signature to in your head without a doubt.