my rhythm guitarist keeps coming up with songs that repeatedly use the same pattern in chords.and every song that he's writen sounds like they could easily flow together as the same song. and he wont listen when i tell him to come up with somthing new but he wont listen.the only 2nd guitar parts he can come up with are ALWAYS harmonys. so maybe i can convince him of a differant way of using 2 guitarist and atleast changing some aspect of his song writing. but im not sure what other technique to use exept harmony. PLEASE HELP
When the power of love conquers the love of power, the world will know peice- hendrix
I'm assuming you guys play hard rock/metal when I say this.

Harmonies are really cool and should be used. If you want to do something else, have one guitar play distorted power chords or a riff while the other guitar plays clean chords or apreggios.
i know harmonies sound ****in awesome but wouldnt a listener of the whole cd get sick of hearing the use of them in EVERY song?
When the power of love conquers the love of power, the world will know peice- hendrix
Quote by ryank2
i know harmonies sound ****in awesome but wouldnt a listener of the whole cd get sick of hearing the use of them in EVERY song?
Heard of Maiden?

Edit: Hell, heard of classical music?

im actually listening to 7th son right now yea i notice they do a lot of harmonizing too and i honestly get kinda sick of it twords the end of one of there albums cause i just start them on the first track and listen all the way through. maidens like my 3rd fav band so no im not dissing them in any way.
Mix up your harmonies; thirds can sound good, but why limit yourself? Try fourths, fifths, and sixths to start, but also try harmonies that don't just stick to one type of interval. Mix them up and see what combinations sound good.

The guitars don't have to play the same rhythms either: you can have harmony lines where every few notes one guitar holds a note, while the other guitar plays the melody and you hear the different intervals from just one moving line over a pedal.

Another technique could be call and response type lines. This would only reach its full potential live, but I think its a good habit to get into with two guitarists.
One o fyou can do a clean thing while the other playes chords or power chords. Also he could play a rythym part and you could play a lead line and he could play a rythym and then wen you come back in the rythym it sounds bigger and fuller. Just try anything you can imagine like I wrote this thing where I play a part that I don't pick at all I just tap on adjacent strings for a rythym part and my friend plays a lead line.