Ok, so I've noticed that when I'm playing with gain, you can hear other strings being played even though I'm not playing them. The more gain I put on the worse it gets. Example: I was just playing a riff on the low E and A strings and when I got done, I muted those 2 strings and the open D, G, and B strings were sounding even though I never touched them, thus resulting in me sounding like crap. Pretty annoying when something's really easy, but doesn't sound right because of this. So.....am I supposed to mute strings even when I won't play them or what? I've seen some videos and it really doesn't look like the guitarists are muting the strings they're not playing, they're just playing.

Basically, why is this happening and how do I solve it so I can sound better?
youre to close to your amp its called feedback
Guitars:
Parkwood PW320M
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone C-40 willie nelson signature
Squier Strat
Some beat up acoustic from '68

Amps:
Vox Ad50vt
Crate xt15r

Effects:
Vox Clyde McCoy Wah
Technique involves muting string with either your left or right hands. For instance, you know the old open G chord (inversions):
E---3------3--
B---3------3--
G---0------0--
D---0------0---
A---2------x--
E---3------3--

that kinda principle. Sounds the same, but your first finger fretting hand mutes the A string ever so slightly, by fretting the root G (3rd fret E) and resting onto the A string.

This is a similar process when playing single note riffs and such. I think its more practive and whatnot rather than anything else. You build your own technique the more ye play, and then can't really explain too well what your now doing
Quote by leon_strat
This is a similar process when playing single note riffs and such. I think its more practive and whatnot rather than anything else. You build your own technique the more ye play, and then can't really explain too well what your now doing

That sounds more like muting a string you're playing right after you play it, but I can play a riff on the low E and A string and make sure that I don't touch the other strings at all, and they still sound. The other strings don't sound at all when I'm playing clean though, only with gain. It would be nice if it was just feedback, I'll have to play a little farther away next time and see.