I have no ear and can't understand music theory on my own, so I consulted one of my friends about getting lessons. He said that music theory will just **** me up and that it'll make writing that much harder because I'll think everything I've written is already done. Is he right?
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
No. He is wrong. Music theory will help you a lot, ignore him and take the lessons if it's what you really want to do.
Do you really even need to ask?

That's like asking, "will cutting off my tongue hurt?"
its better to go back to theory while you still can... if not, ur just setting yourself up for a situation in the future where somethin from guitar theory will come in handy and youll know nothing.... go back now
Well, I'm really wanting to learn theory, but I've always thought of that problem myself. Will that ever really pose a problem for me?
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
ok this is like trying to build a engine for a car with no knowledge of what part does what...
YES YOU NEED TO KNOW THEORY
Heres what I say.

Music is a language. Sure, you could hear what other people say, understand the sounds and repeat them or make up new, cool sounding words...

But it can only help if you learn the alphabet in the rules of the language (Music Theory)
Archdeacon of the Church of Zeppelinism
PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Highway One Telecaster (Upgrade)
Laney 30 Watt Combo
Boss ME-50 FX

horazonblade, you are one of the reasonable/intelligent people on this forum... - JewMasatFlex
I know theory is almost neccesary to be a competent guitarist. I specifically want to learn theory because I have virtually no ear for composition or playing music I hear.
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
If it's what you're worried about, music theory will NOT damage your creativity. Rather, it should help you in writing. A lot.
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust
That's really what I'm aiming for. I can put together basic chord progressions by ear, but I can't write riffs to save my life or compose for ****.
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
I learned basic theory, but I have more of an ear, so it didnt really help me and I don't really use it. But it varies.
I'm hoping to use it as much as possible. I don't want to be a theory nut, but I want to be able to compose riffs, entire songs and chord progressions. I want to be able to learn as much as I can without getting too confused haha.
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Well you won't get far in music if you have no ear....

Anyway, music theory will greatly improve your knowledge, you'll be able to write songs better, use and know how to play in different keys, so that your music will sound different, you'll learn to improvise a hell of a lot better by knowing what notes are in a certain key and learn changes, so you'll be an all round better musician.

Learn theory.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Well, I know major keys at the very least. And I know some scales, but my issue is applying them. I just don't see how Steve Vai and Satch apply scales to their music. For some reason, I just can't see the scales, especially when they're up and down the fretboard like madmen.
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
I've been playing for 4 months, and let me tell you theory may be a little difficult at first, but you'll soon realize it's essential to becoming a better player. You prowl these forums without a knowledge of music theory and you'll have no clue what's going on. Learning theory helps you write your own songs, tab out other songs, and do pretty much everything possible with chords and scales and everything else in between.
General maxim in life: learning anything helps you.

Another general maxim: stay away from people who dissuade you from learning things, because those people are wilfully ignorant and will only hold you back.

Of course learning theory will make you a better musician. Learning how to apply theory to your playing effectively will make you an excellent musician.
Hi, I'm Peter
I believe learning some theory gives you freedom to do what you really want to do, especially if you focus on some ear training too. You could be writing a song, and in your head you hear the next chord. If you trained your ear you would know that you want is a minor seventh chord a fourth above the last one you played, and with theory you would know what that means. It would be a lost faster than going around one fret and a time and trying different chords on each one. By that time your origional inspiration might be gone!
Quote by horazonblade
Heres what I say.

Music is a language. Sure, you could hear what other people say, understand the sounds and repeat them or make up new, cool sounding words...

But it can only help if you learn the alphabet in the rules of the language (Music Theory)

+1
Bleh.

Member #3 of the I Am Canadian Club, pm colen or Mantiscabinet to join
Member #3 of the Necrophagist worshippers pm night_lights to join
Member #2 of the Ibanez RG5xx & up club PM tombo32 to join < 110% credit to t2russo