Well since my dad has some spare SM58's, I was wondering if I could use it to mic my amp or acoustic since I have no SM57 . Wouldn't it work if I unscrewed the cover thing?
Huzzah! It is I, S0ulja, the Duke Of Swiss, 3rd member of the Royal order of cheese!

PM Soulfly_freak or sock_demon to join
It'll work fine, just take off the pop screen (the soft squishy part) if it has one on. The only difference between a sm57 and a sm58 is that the sm58 has responds +4dB at the 3-4kHz frenquency range and drops off on the 7-8kHz range 2dB more than the sm57. Not much of a difference. The bottom line is, if it sounds good, use it, otherwise get a better mic.
The the Sm58 is a great mic, ^dynamic
Member #5 of the I <3 Schecter's Club-PM Schecter-06 to join
"Member of the Guitarists that wished they could sing because they would make fantastic frontmen club"-Pm Davidian to join
I thought it was meant to be used as a live vocal mic. I'm planning on buying a bunch of sm57's for my studio, but would some sm58's be good to have aswell?
well If i had a studio I would be using the Sm57's for instrument mic'ing and the sm58 for vocal
"Member of the Guitarists that wished they could sing because they would make fantastic frontmen club"-Pm Davidian to join
Quote by Muphin
I thought it was meant to be used as a live vocal mic. I'm planning on buying a bunch of sm57's for my studio, but would some sm58's be good to have aswell?

The SM 58 is designed to be primarly a live mic, it can be used with pretty ridiculous gain and no feedback, thats what the sm58 was originally designed for, however ive never tried it for guitars, i just got an sm57
ugh **** enugh with the YOU NEED THIS MIC from guys who dont know what a condensor mic even is. try it, if it sounds good, congrats be happy. if its bad, and your sure its the mic, buy something else.

Adam
Quote by ollie_12318
my grandma is dying and my mum wants me to play something on bass for her, any body got any suggestions?!

Quote by splinter26
another one bites the dust has a pretty cool bass line
lol I know what a condensor mic is I have 3 of them and various other gear in my studio. I'm also the sound tech for one of the few venues we have here in Edmonton. Did you even read any of the above posts? His questions were about sm57s and sm58s, next time try thinking before you act, please and thank you.
Last edited by Crazy Drummer69 at Jun 13, 2006,
Quote by Zamboni
lol, adam, don't try and teach Corey (aka crazy drummer) about mics or anything else studio-related.

He shall fucking pwn you every time.

True that, True that....dont mess
agreed,trying to out smart crazydrummer is as hard as eating an sm58 (not saying that i have tried it)
Quote by Chikitty_China
Well, when I'm fapping, I sometimes look at my left hand and wonder what could have been ....
Quote by S0ulja23
Well since my dad has some spare SM58's, I was wondering if I could use it to mic my amp or acoustic since I have no SM57 . Wouldn't it work if I unscrewed the cover thing?

I would not recomend uncrewing the cover, it makes no difference in the directly of the microphones pickup. If you can get a SM beta A57A, those tend to be better for amplifiers if you cant get your hands on a regular sm57.

you can also try senhiesers mhk series microphones they are great and the models depict the frequencies which depict their uses... adam doesnt know what he is talking about just becuase it sounds good doesnt mean that for the same cost you cant get a better sound.
Last edited by silentdud at Jun 13, 2006,
Quote by Crazy Drummer69
Get the sm57. If you want to record vocals, buy a condenser microphone.

PG58 is the same as the 58 with an added switch and lift get that, you don't need a condenser microphone unless you are mariah carrey. also the sm57 is pretty crappy if your going to buy a microphone in that series and want the best bang for the buck, try out some lower grade phantom power unidirectional microphones(senhiesers). What you want in a vocal microphone depend on what kind of a voice your singer has... the SM58 of PG58 should be absolutely fine; the depict a wider range of frequencies and a truer sound to the singers actual voice. You may also want to look into the beta 565's for vocals, but don't waste your money on an expensive condenser you don't need and can only use for acoustic/vocals.

I work in a copy that does tours and stuff and i pack and specially pick all these microphones for shows so I am a credible source. That said i would like to tell you that I hate the sm57 compared to its senhieser equivilents.
Last edited by silentdud at Jun 13, 2006,
Quote by silentdud
PG58 is the same as the 58 with an added switch and lift get that, you don't need a condenser microphone unless you are mariah carrey. also the sm57 is pretty crappy if your going to buy a microphone in that series and want the best bang for the buck, try out some lower grade phantom power unidirectional microphones(senhiesers). What you want in a vocal microphone depend on what kind of a voice your singer has... the SM58 of PG58 should be absolutely fine; the depict a wider range of frequencies and a truer sound to the singers actual voice. You may also want to look into the beta 565's for vocals, but don't waste your money on an expensive condenser you don't need and can only use for acoustic/vocals.

I work in a copy that does tours and stuff and i pack and specially pick all these microphones for shows so I am a credible source. That said i would like to tell you that I hate the sm57 compared to its senhieser equivilents.

If met numerous studio techs that love and swear by the SM57, its all a matter of taste if you ask me, im not a VETERAN or anything, but ive heard people say the sm57 is the best thing that happened for that money, and ive heard people say its crap epitamized.... i mean theres gotta be some preference involved huh?

i admit with my 57 its not easy get the sound perfect, but when i do, its a pretty beautiful thing for the money you spend.. personal opinion
Quote by Scott3229
If met numerous studio techs that love and swear by the SM57, its all a matter of taste if you ask me, im not a VETERAN or anything, but ive heard people say the sm57 is the best thing that happened for that money, and ive heard people say its crap epitamized.... i mean theres gotta be some preference involved huh?

i admit with my 57 its not easy get the sound perfect, but when i do, its a pretty beautiful thing for the money you spend.. personal opinion

SM 57 is what we send to charity events and free shows that aren't paying us... it is a good microphone don't get me wrong, it definitely gets the job done. for a low budget project it is versatile enough to cover many tasks(if you are layering). its not that it sounds good its that it is extremely durable.. some of the ones we have are like 15 years old and look like they have been run over by trucks.
Last edited by silentdud at Jun 14, 2006,
So what is better than a SM57 for the money? These " lower grade phantom power unidirectional microphones", do they cost more money to use? Like, do you need equipment you wouldn't need with an SM57?
yes.
you would have to buy either a mixer that supplys phantom power, or a phatom power box. alot of mics in my opion are better than the SM 57, I have one and barely ever use it. then again I write most of my songs on acoustic guitar and vocals mainly (with a little keyboard) so im not really needting that amp mic. but its a good mic, if you can mess with it right.

me i love (LOVEEEEEE) my Nt1a, oh its heavenly
check out me and my nt1a in my newest songs : https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5863929
Wow, just listened to that. Amazing, man. Have you tried the NT1A on an amp yet? How does it compare to the Shure for micing a guitar cabinet?

The NT1A is a bit pricey, but it sounds really nice, so I'm considering it.
i would say the 57 is a great mic if you have a nice preamp,with the stock preamp on a soundcard its okay,but a nice tube preamp will light it up
Quote by Chikitty_China
Well, when I'm fapping, I sometimes look at my left hand and wonder what could have been ....
well I think the major diffrent between the two mic'ing setups is that the rode will pick up all of the frequences, such as the hiss from the amp, and where the shure will pickup that bassy full sound.

im not sure, i dont use the shure enough.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
The SM58 is one of the best (condensor?) mics for recording acoustic guitar anyways.

It should work good.

Definately not a condensor, it's a dynamic.

It should work fine, you don't even need to unscrew the cap, why would you if you think about it in reality, how is it gonna make any difference if you take the cap off, unless you want to get right up to the amp itself.