Page 1 of 2
I am pretty set on wanting an Ibanez Prestige RG series guitar, but there's like 10 different ones in the Ibanez Prestige RG line. Is there any severe difference to their quality aside from some being a 7 string, paint job, or H-S-H or just H-H setups, etc? I was going to get a RG1570 because everyone speaks so highly of it. But what is wrong with the other RG Prestige models?

*note: Throw price range out the window for now.

*2nd note: I am also considering the S Prestige series. I just put RG on the top of my list cuz I've played with one of the models, though not a 1570. I have not found a place that has the S Prestige yet. The tremolo system on the S series sounds fancy on their website, lol.

Anyone who has had experience with both guitars, please help.
I would get the RG1570 because I myself own one and it's amazing. The only difference really is price range and maybe HSH HH, the 1570 is the cheapest but all the others are made almost to the exact same specs so the 1570 is the best deal.
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
RG Prestige is actually divided into 3, the RG, RGA and RGT. And the RG have a normal one and a special one (RG1820X and RG1520G). The RGA Prestige has fixed bridge unlike normal RG Prestige, and the RGT Prestige has neck-thru design, for increased sustain.

RGA Prestige Arched Top Body

RGT Prestige Neck-Thru Design

The RG1820X has Double Edge Pro, with included L.R Baggs Piezos which are isolated to eliminate palm noise and a 2-band EQ on the piezo output provides added tone control. The RG1520G features Roland GK special fx which allows access to Roland's GK effects and midi control. The isolated piezo elements on those also offer superior tracking for controlling midi devices.

Double Edge Pro - Compatible w/ FX

Some other differences that you may notice are the paintjobs, and the including of pickguard for RG2550E. There are also some special stuff that you can look up if you think of getting the S-Prestige, such as the Painjobs, and the different feel on the ZR trem. One feature that i like about the ZR is that, a d-tuner can be inserted to it for easy drop tuning.

D-Tuner (ZR)
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
rg prestige plays very nice imo!

got mine 2 days ago, but i've still to adjust it the way i like it! it's getting better by the day!

the next paragraph = waste of time

(at the only decent shop where i live, the guitars are only tuned. adjustments are $@^#.
so on saturday, i march in, ask for the 1570 but they only got the 2550 e (almost the same)
it was horrible!!!
then i ask for a screw driver and the allen wrenches . the look on the salesman's face was priceless! LOL anyways, i dig my way in the guitar while he tunes a classical. the piece of wood turns to a guitar! then at home i turn it to a good guitar! later it's gonna be a great one!)
lesson = don't be shy to adjust a guitar in front of the salesman!

about the s prestige... we don't have em here! BUT i tried the s470dxqm and don't like it much. the body is just too thin and feels strange imo.
rg = basswood
s = mahogany
(mostly)

so try and find those s series.

+ rg1570 would be a good buy. very good for the price. (for me)
member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join
Member #18 of the team. Pm Gabel to join!
i have the 2550ltd limited edition, best investment in my life, plays sooo well. i wouldnt know about the s series though, of the rg's they dont differ that much in quality but some will play different to others just see which one u like
rg = mahogany and basswood
s = just mahogany

AS we can see the rg offers more things and more colors unlike the S prestiges. But the ZR trem is always a plus since you dont need a wrench to fix the bridge up. Id rather get a rg1570 (i have it too) and uprgade the pickups. You basically waste money on its older bros like the rg2550 and 2570 which are build the same way but still needs pickup change. And they cost alot more. Its really up to you if your rich enough to get the 2xxx series and switch pickups later on or ....RIGHT AWAY....
[img]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9672/stevevaisigver24vf.jpg[/img]
Just an influence.
^ he has a good point. i got mine cause it was limited edition soo hot and was on sale 600 dollars off which meant it was basically the same price as the 1570 i could have got.
Do a search there are countless threads on RG prestige models, i've made quite a number of posts about the pro's and con's of the RG1570 in comparison to some of the other models. IMO value for money wise, the RG1570 is best.
also i think most of the S series only have 22 frets where RG's have 24.
Ovation Celebrity
MIJ STRAT
Ibanez Prestige S1220WNF
modded Ibanez GAX75
Fender tuner-DIGITECH EX-7-BOSS SD1-Ibanez CF7-Tech 21 TM 60
(LOOP)Boss DD20(Loop)
My soundclick page
No price range?

If i were you, i would go with the RGT 220

Better pickups, better woods, neck thru, and sexier than the 1570.... But for double the price
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Last edited by ClassicAxe at Jun 13, 2006,
rg 1570 is sick just got one of those puppies two days ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i had an ibanez once but i hated it, so just throw all you ibanez stuff away and buy fender's american strat or gibson's les paul because ibanez is stupid AND they suck.
^ Yeh and your a retard, why dont you backup your post dumb sh!t.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Take ur time, that ingenious post consisting of just, THEY SUCK is just too briliant and would pwn everyone....
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
the biggest problem was the durability or the lack of durability, and it didn't stay in tune worth a square root of a ****, no matter how much adjusting i did to the inotation it still wasn't right, it had NO sustain, the list goes on and on
Quote by TheCrimsonKing3
i had an ibanez once but i hated it, so just throw all you ibanez stuff away and buy fender's american strat or gibson's les paul because ibanez is stupid AND they suck.

For just one guitar, you're labeling Ibanez suck. And what model is it? i 100% doubt that its a prestige model. Maybe its poorly setup by inexperienced hand, no sustain is probably caused by too high of the pickup height thus killing the note fast, again probably caused by improper setup.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
you, sir, are 100% wrong. I'm not a complete idiot if the pickups were up to high i would know it was just a really bd guitar i hater it.
Quote by TheCrimsonKing3
you, sir, are 100% wrong. I'm not a complete idiot if the pickups were up to high i would know it was just a really bd guitar i hater it.

This noob just joined like 30 minutes ago rofl.
Okay you are an idiot, were talking prestige ibanezes. Not the jumpstart package you bought for 299$

Look kid, lack of durability? Whatd you do, drop it out of your 2story house? Tuning? Well....... thats what you get for buying hte jumpstart package. Because if you hada prestige, it would NEVER go out of tune, ive had my 3120 in Eb for over 4 months and the tuning hasnt change the slightest, and i abuse my bar every day. Either you ****ed it up when messing with it or you did NOT have a prestige ibanez. You should of gotten it professionally set up, because your obviously not professional in any way.

Okay end of story, noob has been pwned lets continue with our ways.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Quote by TheCrimsonKing3

1st thing, if you hated it, y did you buy that specific model, there are much better Ibanezs. Again, you didnt state the model's name so we dont know what model actually you're talking about....most certainly not a prestige. And about the pickups, do you know what is "too high" means and what sound it'd produce. Too high doesnt mean that its to the point of touching the strings or mess up your picking pattern. Too high means that it'll kill the vibrating string = no sustain. Probably you're also using the stock pickups and generally, Ibanez have very very poor pickups for lower models.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Lol ownage. And I've got a RGT220, picked it over the 1570 and 2550 because better upper fret access, better tone, and I love the natural "woody" look.
clips
Gear
  • Framus Cobra Head
  • Peavey 5150 Head
  • Marshall MF280 4x12 Cab
  • PRS Custom 24 w/ 3-Way/Coil Tap
  • Ibanez RGT220A w/ EMG 85 Neck/81 Bridge
  • Rack w/ BBE 482i, Hush Super C, and Furman
^ Yeh my next guitar will hopefully be a 220A . They are so damn sexy

Edit - ur sig, (kinda suck) whats that lol, the 220 is amazing.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
The Dimarzios I put in, PAF Pro in the neck and Tone Zone in the bridge. The PAF Pro is great but the Tone Zone is muddy and just has a bleh tone. The gutiar is kickass, just the pickups I was referring too. I'm thinking EMGs as the next endevour. I love EMGs.
clips
Gear
  • Framus Cobra Head
  • Peavey 5150 Head
Meh to tone zone, you should just get 2 PAF Pros in em. Then you'll be Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Tonezone/Paf pro is my setup... The TZ is prolly just muddy in that ash body... In my mahogoony body its great...

And yeh, EMGs look most sexy in natural guitars, im prolly gonna go with some 89's for my next guitar. More fusionish rock based from what ive played.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
No I've played a 550 with a PAF PRo in the bridge, doesn't cut it. I play Arch Enemy/As I Lay Dying/Devildriver/Shadows Fall/Killswitch Engage along with Tallica, Megadeth, and stuff like that, and I need something with a great metal tone. The Tone Zone is really high output but has a bad voicing for metal, too mid based.I do play shred, Vai, Satch, Gilbert, Petrucci, and a lot of it, but I want something more versatile.

EDIT: IF anything the tonezone would be more muddy in the Mahogany, ash is brighter and less dense than mahogany. And it's not so much muddy, just has a lot of mids, and doesn't balance out well with the Lows and Highs.
clips
Gear
  • Framus Cobra Head
  • Peavey 5150 Head
Quote by JimiMan1535
No I've played a 550 with a PAF PRo in the bridge, doesn't cut it. I play Arch Enemy/As I Lay Dying/Devildriver/Shadows Fall/Killswitch Engage along with Tallica, Megadeth, and stuff like that, and I need something with a great metal tone. The Tone Zone is really high output but has a bad voicing for metal, too mid based.I do play shred, Vai, Satch, Gilbert, Petrucci, and a lot of it, but I want something more versatile.

EDIT: IF anything the tonezone would be more muddy in the Mahogany, ash is brighter and less dense than mahogany. And it's not so much muddy, just has a lot of mids, and doesn't balance out well with the Lows and Highs.

Humbucker from hell perhaps? or combo the DiMarzio with some SD's alnico pro

To classic axe^
Hmm, i still think 81 bridge and 60 neck has the best sounding if put into mahogany built axe.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
^ Well 550 is basswood, still not mahogony
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Sweet RG550, didnt know you had one. Slap those EMGs in the RGT, would be awesome.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
^ He doesnt
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Ummm im pointing to you, assuming that you have the RG550? confused now..
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
He said he played one, not owned one. and besides , hed have it in his sig
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Didnt you say ur next guitar would be the RGT220A, hence i said i liked the 81+60 combo better than the 89s, just an opinion. Correct no?

As for JimiMan, i recommended him the humbucker frm hell...
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
^ You said, sweet i didnt know you had an rg550, and you were refering to jimiman. I said he doesnt have one.... Because he doesnt

Reread the posts now and see if u understand
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Blehz, that sweet i was pointing it to you (#32post), coz u nvr had anything in ur sig......

Anyways, its still f'kin awesome for you guys to have one of those prestiges. Wish i had one.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Id go with a Duncan Distortion about the same output as an 81 or Dimarzio SuperD but slightly brighter with less feed back vs. Dimarzio, that is if the TOne Zone is too muddy for you.
Yea lol I don't have a 550, I just played one. And the humbucker from hell doesn't sound right, quote:

"Humbucker From Hell® DP156 & F. Want the single-coil sound with the output and quiet operation of a standard humbucker? The Humbucker From Hell® goes where no humbucker has gone before. It has the glassy, open sound of a great single-coil, with bright pick attack and warm depth of tone. Recommended For: Neck position in solidbody guitars. Available in standard or "F" spacing"

The only thing about EMGs is they don't fit the routes on the guitar. Dimarzios have triangle ends where you screw them in where nearly everything else is a square. The Ibanez has the triangle route so I'd either have to route the body (which i'm not too fond of doing) or like cut the EMGs lol.
clips
Gear
  • Framus Cobra Head
  • Peavey 5150 Head
Well, I'll be getting the RG1570 Prestige on Friday (Made an appoitnment) It's locked and loaded to go. I'll be returning my Jackson RR3 (been less than 30 days) and case for it. The RR3 is a great guitar for it's price, the problem is, my fingers can't agree with it's neck.

I'm planning to put DiMarzio Evo in the bridge a little later on. Don't know what I should use for the neck position though.

Again, thank you everyone =)
^ Neck = Paf Pro or another Evo like steve vai does
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Page 1 of 2