this is the first time i've ever really uploaded a video of me playing on this forum. it's a video of me improving a jam (pretty drunk, so be nice) on my acoustic 12-string (actually an 11 string, broke a string) earlier tonight... i know the video is dark and you can't hardly see anything and the sound is terrible. it was recorded on a digital camera... not a digital VIDEO camera... a digital camera. so yeah the video quality is terrible. you can't hear all the subtleties of the 12 string as they are meant to be heard in the video... the sound quality is really horrible but you get the idea. and just ignore where i get lost at around 20 seconds, hahaha. just let me know what ya'll think. crit for crit. thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTh0CUeqSgg

EDIT: keep in mind that this is improv and i've only had a 12 string for about a month

EDIT2: here's the second video... same jam with some different improv stuff and the hook played at a quicker tempo...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pednKFM27JA
Last edited by jimtaka at Jun 13, 2006,
^-- thanks for the response! everybody is entitled to their own opinions and those are what i'm looking for!! whether or not you see much skill in it is all relative to your own playing ability i suppose... and also relative to the fact that you can't see anything that i'm doing, hahaha
^--- well i played on this jam for about 10 minutes and this video is just the ending really so you missed alot of the dynamics because of that.... but perhaps you're right and i got carried away with it though. meh, it happens there's another video of me playing the same jam that my buddy shot right after this one. somebody else there asked me to try the same thing at a faster tempo so that's what the other video is. i'll get him to send it to me and maybe upload it also... but maybe not as i haven't seen it yet hahaha

EDIT: ok i got the second video uploaded so ya'll check that one out also if you would please... oddly enough he only recorded the end of it also, but oh well. i'm editing in a link to it in the first post. thanks everybody!
Last edited by jimtaka at Jun 13, 2006,
^-- thanks alot, ben. you're definitely right also, hahaa. i need alot of work with the ol' 12 string still
Pretty good. You stay on rhthym the whole time through, except for maybe one awkward moment around 1:40, but only for a short time. The notes are mostly on key, and it sounds swell. Though, I'd agree with the others in suggesting having it be more dynamic. Though, these are only the last two minutes or so, so, yeah...
Very good for improv, you should try playign w/ another acoustic guitarist for backing chords ect. i could tell ur a decent guitarist, very fast on the second video
Check out my music *
On the second video it seems like your kinda masterbating on the fret board, but I don't know, I don't hear 12 stings often.
hey thanks for the crit on my acoustic song cover could you crit my crazy train cover http://media.putfile.com/Crazy-Train-Cover

I thought this was kinda weird. Kinda funky and interesting. sounded nice except for he lead parts i think you were tring to go for werent that great but it is improvised so i can understand. nice job and thanks again for the crit
Quote by yawn
Pretty good. You stay on rhthym the whole time through, except for maybe one awkward moment around 1:40, but only for a short time. The notes are mostly on key, and it sounds swell. Though, I'd agree with the others in suggesting having it be more dynamic. Though, these are only the last two minutes or so, so, yeah...

thanks for the nice comments and the tips also... i definitely know what you are talking about when you say "awkward moment(s)" there were definitely times when i didn't really know where i was going with it and had trouble pulling it back together... i guess that's the nature of drunken improv though, hahaha

Quote by elementskater7s
Very good for improv, you should try playign w/ another acoustic guitarist for backing chords ect. i could tell ur a decent guitarist, very fast on the second video

yeah i have alot of other guitarists, bassists, drummers, keyboard players, etc. that i play with often. i was actually with two other guitarists and a bassist last night... it just so turned out that the only time the video camera was broken out was when everybody else was already too drunk to play anymore, ha! and thanks for the compliment.

Quote by The way to hate
On the second video it seems like your kinda masterbating on the fret board, but I don't know, I don't hear 12 stings often.

i'm not quite sure how to respond to this... esp. since i have only been playing 12 string for around a month or so now... so yeah, maybe elaborate more?

Quote by danilo19
hey thanks for the crit on my acoustic song cover could you crit my crazy train cover http://media.putfile.com/Crazy-Train-Cover

I thought this was kinda weird. Kinda funky and interesting. sounded nice except for he lead parts i think you were tring to go for werent that great but it is improvised so i can understand. nice job and thanks again for the crit

thanks for the insight. i really appreciate it! i've been thinking today about actually sitting down with this and writing something out of it. so that way it is all tied together and doesn't wander like i do in these videos sometimes. the more advive you guys give me the more food for thought i'll have when actually focussing on it. i appreciate your opinions on the lead parts. i'll look at them really closely when i'm deciding how i really want it to go. btw, i'd be happy to crit your crazy train for you... but it'll probably be tomorrow evening... cause tonight was another drunken music fest

thanks again to everybody who has actually responded! i really appreciate it a ton. anybody else wanna crit?? this thread has an awful lot of views to have so few crits!
Last edited by jimtaka at Jun 14, 2006,
it seems as if you know where you going around the fretboard which is good, which towards the end of the video is more prevalent in your playing. The finger work is good, but i know you can do better just based on your dexterity from the chord changes. It has a sort of folk john mayer esque sound to it which is cool. I

Is this song purely a jam, or something you put into another work of yours? or something you plan on putting words over?

strumming through a 12 string feels so good, i love that tension on the pic from the strings.

overall i thought it was tight, and its definately not something thats "big" today like power chords, and sweeps...
^-- it was all purely improved. i started the whole thing just with that hammer on/bend/pullof into the A minor pentatonic and just built it all from there. it probably wouldn't be something i'd put into another work, but i'm considering turning this into it's own work. i doubt i'd put words over it but i suppose it could be done. i agree with you about the feel of a 12 string. i've just started playing it and i am really enjoying it so far. i appreciate what you said about knowing where i was going around the fretboard and that you could tell i could do better... i've been playing acoustic for a few years, just not 12 string. i definitley still need alot of work and fine tuning on my 12 string playing, but i feel like i'm making pretty good progress no longer than i've had it. i don't really write much music that is into what you're calling "big" today i guess. i write alot of folksy/funky style pieces and alot of really acoustic-driven power-strumming rock type of stuff. anyway, i really appreciate your crit!!
^

i meant "big" in a sarcastic sense, as that is all that is in music today. A lot of rural blues guitarist were doing things like this. Check out Mississippi Fred Mcdowell, Muddy waters, Blind lemon jefferson, Django Reindhardt, Hubert Sumlin, John Lee hooker, Pinetop perkins.... i can go on.

but you can learn a lot form those guys. Really.
^-- yeah i understood what you meant. saying that power chords and sweeps and such are what is "big" nowawadays meaning that they seem to be the building blocks of nearly all current music.

i'll definitely check out some of those artists. thanks for those! any specific songs by any of them that you had in mind or are you reccomending them purely on a style basis? and if so, are you saying that you think my style of playing kinda goes in the same direction as the people you listed?
^ i really havent sat down, and been able to pull single tracks, but their styles are known in their music. You come off as a rural blues guy, yet quick, or can be quick with the chords like the pass' n methenys' which is whatd youd want to do in building a large chord vocabulary. that what im working on myself. i dont want to be stuck into one particular "theme" or sound, i want to manipulate it to how i feel and what i want to do that day.

my teacher is showing me and make me learn all the chords in every key. I.e CM7 Dm7 Em7 FM7 G7 Am7 Bm7b5... and just going on and on. eventually you'll see that the same chord is used throughout the other keys and from there you can borrow and get really savvy like john mayer, who i think is like a modern genius with his chord work.
Real cool, dayum. I like the little lead things, solo things, whatever you want to call them...

I honestly wish/can't wait til I can play like that. AND YOU WERE DRUNK? Props, my friend... Much props.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...ad.php?t=376177 crit mine please, thanks
"If you're going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don't even start..."
Charles Bukowski
6.5/10 .. I like some parts.. but some parts were too hmm let me see "funky" hehe
Textures - greatest band ever
7/10....it had its highs and its lows. overall very creative though.
My Gear:
Fender Standard Strat w/Tex-mex pups
Epi Les Paul Jr.
Epi MM-20 mandolin
Yamaha FG-110
Boss SD-1
Boss BD-2
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Digitech RP80
Fender FM212R
Epi Valve Junior

Check Me Out:
Me
I didn't know you were beggining on the 12 string, sorry about that. I don't listen to much fast acoustic though, but it does sound nice.
pretty good for a drunken improv.. your fills were pretty sloppy and as others have said there were a couple slip ups where you either were off time or screwed up. but then again, you were drunk heh. Nice funky main riff though i dig it. hmmm... 6 or 7/10!

crit for crit?

http://alpinehigh.dmusic.com/

castles made of sand is all improv fills and solo the others are essentially strict covers with some variations...
this stuff sounds great...i really like what it does towards the beggining..keep it up!

crit back please thanks
This sounds really good. It sounds a little bit like if the guitarist from porcupine tree would jam on a 12 string. I like this sort of acoustic music...I can't explain why...but hey good job!!
Dude I thought it was really good, I liked the three chords you used between your main jam thing, they were cool. I also love the way 12 strings sound, they're always fun to play. I didnt watch the second one but the first little jam was pretty nice.
CRIT ME?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=377372&highlight=Pablo
i Thought it was good, who ever said it wasnt any skill
was retarded
go F them
lol,
it was good
very cool sounding
and original

oh at least your postive about his crappy post

its GOOOD
and clasic
and i duno crazy fun

im not much
help
but i liked it
Quote by HyperFeedback
is that an ibanez 12 string?

nah it's a takamine

Quote by ovdojoey
i Thought it was good, who ever said it wasnt any skill was retarded
go F them

oh at least your postive about his crappy post

haha thanks man. honestly i am not one to toot my own horn, but i know what skill level i'm at. so what he/she said doesn't bother me a bit.
Last edited by jimtaka at Jun 19, 2006,