Hey guys, my first post on here so hello to you all

Bascially I am a beginner guitar player, looking to play mostly metal, the majority of what I will play will be Iron Maiden. The band use stratocasters, so therefore to best match their sound, I thought it best to purchase a strat as well as for the fact that it is an overall very versatile guitar. Here is the dilemma though, I can't decide between a Mexican Fat Strat, and an Amercian standard SSS strat. Now my concerns are that the Amercan one, although I can afford it, may be abit too extreme for a beginner. The mexican fat strat, although it receives plenty of good reviews, some people say it has crap sustain, which will be no good for me when I come to start soloing. On the other hand it does have a humbucker which Iron Maiden's guitarists have generating a nice think crunchy tone. The quality of the pickups though on standard strats I've heard is questionable, and I rather not be bothered in changing them. So really, I'm having a struggle coming to a decision, so any comments that would help assist me in reaching a decision will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards
How old are these reviews that say it has crap sustain? They just gave it a larger block in the 2006 models for increased sustain.

I say go for the MIA Strat though. What do you mean by too extreme for a beginner? like just too high end in price etc or differences in the guitar? cuz it's basically the same exact thing
Quote by amazingdm
How old are these reviews that say it has crap sustain? They just gave it a larger block in the 2006 models for increased sustain.

I say go for the MIA Strat though. What do you mean by too extreme for a beginner? like just too high end in price etc or differences in the guitar? cuz it's basically the same exact thing

yeh, basically what I meant by "too extreme" was too expensive for a first guitar. Not sure how old those reviews are.. I guess I'll check.

EDIT - Yeh turns out most of the reviews that said about crap sustain were from year 2001, lol.
Last edited by XtAsY2007 at Jun 13, 2006,
I don't think you can go wrong either way

The pickups on the MIM are just fine.. but if you get the MIM (if you pick a good one/set it up etc) you can use the extra dough on your choice of pickups.

The money would be best spent on an amp though.

But if money isn't really a problem the MIA would be best
What amp do you have at the moment?

And if you pick a good MIM Strat, you'll love it.
It's probably not worth the diff to go USA, but they are great guitars, but if you pick a good MIM, it could easily hold its ground next to a USA Strat.

You could get the MIM Strat and use the rest of the money to get a new amp (I'm just presuming you don't have a great amp)
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Yeh the amp I've gone for is the Vox AD30VT. Supposed to be the best in its price range. Thing is though, although I'm quite sure I'll be sticking with learning to play the guitar, if I fork out loads of cash for the american, and I end up thinking that guitar isn;t for me after a couple of months, Ill lose loads of money when I come to sell it

The guitar I'm looking at is this > http://www.imuso.co.uk/ProductDetail.asp?StockCode=EG00362
That's a damn good amp for a beginner.

That guitar doesn't even look real.... I mean really doesn't look real from the pic, the logo isn't the normal one and it's in the wrong place and some of the pickup pole pieces are missing....
Don't be afraid to care"

the american one is a high end guitar in price as well as in quality and sound. as you said "too expensive for a first guitar" - this is probably right, but I think, buying the mexican first, later on a esp and finally an gibson or whatever is more expensive. if you really purchase the american, I promise you won't think about getting another guitar for years.
Quote by Pearson
Um. NIRVANA. I hope kurt dies. Oh wait, he killed himself already.
Quote by R_H_C_P
That's a damn good amp for a beginner.

That guitar doesn't even look real.... I mean really doesn't look real from the pic, the logo isn't the normal one and it's in the wrong place and some of the pickup pole pieces are missing....

It's just a crap picture. The actual guitar does look how it is supposed to.
Or... you could look for a Japanese Fender Strat, they're amazing guitars, on par with USA Strats, and a lot cheaper too, look for some in a shop and try some out.
Don't be afraid to care"

If you do get the MIM get the 2006 model.
Probably best to get the best when you're learning IMO
Quote by amazingdm
If you do get the MIM get the 2006 model.
Probably best to get the best when you're learning IMO

Yeh I'll deffiently get the 2006 version if I go MIM. I'm assuming all retailers are selling 2006 versions now?
Nope
well I mean
they should be but they also sell the old model for like $30 less.. so get the one thats $400 USD
Right, so the 2006 Mexican Fat Strat Maple neck, 3 colour sunburst is a good one to go for? I mean, I suppose I can change the pickups when I want, and I can get an American strat at a later date when I know that guitar playing is for me.
Money not being an issue, get the best you can afford, IF you're looking for a single versatile instrument to help you find you're musical identity. Fat Strats are pretty versatile, and I really like Fenders, both American and MIM (even Squiers) so I can recommend one. However, I might also suggest a Schecter C1, with the H-S-H set-up. If having a Fender is a
must, check out their Showmaster line.
go wit da mexican. i have one and it rocks out loud.
My Gear:

Epi Les Paul Standard
Fender 48th Street Strat
Vox Valvetronix AD50VT
Martin Koa Acoustic
Some crappy unnamed bass
Quote by Gofishus
stick with the MIM. crap sustain is bs because you can just use a fuzz or distortion (either pedal or amp) to get more sustain or use a compressor.

yea i got a new distortion pedal an it added noticable sustain an when its plugged into my vox wah (scored it for 62$) it geta lil feedback sustain too
Quote by Arlabester
you suck, emo rocks, case closed
BUY LESSONS.

het a nice guitar that you feel comfortable with. dont buy online, go in and play it and choose whatever feels most comfortable. you will not regret it if you decide to not play. also....dont buy a guitar because your favourite playe has it. it doesnt mean ****.

Adam
Quote by ollie_12318
my grandma is dying and my mum wants me to play something on bass for her, any body got any suggestions?!

Quote by splinter26
another one bites the dust has a pretty cool bass line