Page 1 of 2
erm anyone got any good suggestions on amp levels for a SRV type sound? I have a Tube screamer and a Peavey classic 50. Not really expecting a perfect match but just generral suggestions on where to hit the mid and treble and so forth.

Thanx for you're help
did you even bother looking? search for ultimte amp settings on ug forums and they have every amp setting
Quote by MastaBassist10
"Um, yes waiter, I'll have a wank, please."

Quote by HaKattack

I'm a man. We don't cry. We bottle up emotions and become abusive alcoholics.

Proud Member of Slashism. PM slashs_#1_fan to join
Quote by mamakin87
did you even bother looking? search for ultimte amp settings on ug forums and they have every amp setting

did u even look? they dont have stevie ray on there,
Quote by Atreideslegend
did u even look? they dont have stevie ray on there,

pwned lol.

Honestly, I don't think anyone can replicate his tone. I swear his tone is the most sought out but I think it's the way he plays that makes his tone sound as it does. Those heavy strings, god. No one can play like that.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by GoodNite_AmyLee
pwned lol.

Honestly, I don't think anyone can replicate his tone. I swear his tone is the most sought out but I think it's the way he plays that makes his tone sound as it does. Those heavy strings, god. No one can play like that.

i agree whole-heartedly, im not trying to copy his sound in a massive way i just wana basis to create my own blues tone from that has a similar edge to it, so any information on stuff liek whether he pushed up the mids or if it was all bass or whatever, its kidna hard to tell from his tracks. Anyway, just any kind of general direction would help
Yeah, you need a overdrive pedal, the Ibanez green ones (Tubescreamers) are the best --- they're what he used. TUMFP's settings seems about right...

Then, strap on 13-60s, tune half a step down, and play your ass off.
Looking for my India/Django.
The main thing to do is crank the mids and play on the neck pickup (most of the time). He used so many amps, its hard to recreate his tone with just one.

He also used very thick strings. (i believe redwing suck pointed those out)
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Whats the bass tone lvl?
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
What exactly do the mids do? Do they make your tone brighter?
Amp:
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
^^^It's hard to explain what they do, exactly (at least for me). It's a tonal quality like highs or lows. Once you mess around with your tone enough, you'll be able to hear the mids and what they sound like. One big effect they have, though, is they really let your music cut through a mix. High mids make the guitar more noticeable, i guess.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
So it makes it louder?
Amp:
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
No, not louder, it just cuts through a big mix better. I'm terrible at explaining things like this, lol.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
^ Yeah its weird to explain something like that

Don't want to be an actor pretending on the stage
Don't want to be a writer with my thoughts out on the page
Don't want to be a painter 'cause everyone comes to look
Don't want to be anything where my life's an open book

Phish - Waste
Ok I think I understand it now, it makes the notes stand out more.
Amp:
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
^It adds some "presence"... There's a "presence" knob on many fender amps, but cranking the mids does things it can't.
Looking for my India/Django.
pretend a song is butter and the guitar is a knife, w/out mid it is but a butter knife...with mids were takin jagged steak knife straight through the butter. SLICED!!!
Wouldnt SRV not have cranked Mids, because of the high Mid output on his strat?
Amp:
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
I mean his pickups are wounded hotter, the pick-ups are the one that gave him more mid output.
Amp:
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Quote by TUMFP
i thought only Clapton used that Mid-Boost in his circuits?

Buddy Guy has it too ... originally the Clapton Strat was almost identical to the Buddy Guy Strat

Don't want to be an actor pretending on the stage
Don't want to be a writer with my thoughts out on the page
Don't want to be a painter 'cause everyone comes to look
Don't want to be anything where my life's an open book

Phish - Waste
The pickups certainly add to the mid-drenched sound. I don't guess anyone really knows exactly how he set his mids on his amp, but the best way i've found to replicate his sound is to crank the mids on my amp.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Yea I know one person that knew his settings Cesar Chavez his tech guy. He posted something on his site about SRV's settings on his amp and tube screamer. Heres the tube Screamer pedal Level on whatever, Tone on 3 O' Clock, Drive on 12 O' Clock.
Amp:
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Quote by redwing_suck
Yeah, you need a overdrive pedal, the Ibanez green ones (Tubescreamers) are the best --- they're what he used. TUMFP's settings seems about right...

Then, strap on 13-60s, tune half a step down, and play your ass off.

I believe his low e string was a bass D string if I remember correctly. I know it is some bass string.
Whatever happened to sweet Jane?
Id suggest raising your action to the highest you can and relearning the guitar- I think SRV's high action played a part in his sound. Mind your fingers tho, bends are much more painful...

5th Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM Apocalypse13 or altronataku to join.
didn't he use the position that combines the neck and middle pickup on his strat?
Quote by Duff_McGee
Masturbate. A lot. Seriously.

<----This is a man
^^^He did use that position some, too. I personally dont like that position.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Try getting a set of texas special pickups the setting the 5-way switch to the middle
My signature is a metallic red stratocaster named "Ruby"
with a Randall RX series amp with a Dunlop Crybaby.
so far all i can do for his kind of tone is to do the neck pickup, turn my distortion to the lowest(or use overdrive on my amp), put on the thickest strings my store had, turned my highs up and lows down, and turned the tone all the way up on my pedal. its actually pretty close. im sure it would be a lot closer if i had the tube screamer but i dont have the money yet. the strings really made a difference though. my low E string is 56 and my high E is 12. sounds really good.
If any of you play bass and guitar, ive read that putting your guitar into a bass amp can make it sound a bit closer to SRV's.
The Lindy Fralins Blues Specials are more suited for the SRV tone. But are very expensive.
Amp:
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Last edited by The Master Plan at Jun 25, 2006,
Quote by Bluesdriver90
Try getting a set of texas special pickups the setting the 5-way switch to the middle

If that was aimed at me, i do, in fact, have those pickups.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
I think he used 2 tubescreamers, using only 1 turned on for rhythym and both turned on for lead.

5th Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM Apocalypse13 or altronataku to join.
He did, in fact, use two tubescreamers.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Page 1 of 2