Well, I play electric, and now I want to try bass, since my band has no bassist. I'm currently looking into buying one, but I'm unsure of what to get. My budget is around AU$600, or US$450, so anything less than that is fine. I've been checking out some Ibanez's, I've heard they're good. What do you guys reckon?
im not a bassist myself but the bassist in my band uses an Epiphone thunderbird and its really nice, the shapes kool, it souinds kool, and its strong!!!!

but in general i think that epiphone do nice basses!!!

hope that helps a bit
I wouldn't recommend epiphones, gibson make really nice electric guitars but the basses they manufacture are........... nasty, in a word. they are too heavy, and the sound they produce (without effects etc) are not as good as what a fender bass can produce. but ibanez have good basses. go to a music store and ask if you can try them out beofre you make your decision.
www.myspace.com/nopeepingcommatom

Quote by Braindoctor
Dont ask for buttsecks straight away , wait about 3 minutes then WHAM stick it in her butt.

This guy knows his stuff!
^^ Hmmm, no, not really. Epiphone are not known for their basses. Look at Ibanez, Shecter, Spector, Yamaha. No offence but if you're not a bassist and know nothing about basses, why answer?

if you do a search there are so many of these threads around you'll get some more info..
Last edited by Applehead at Jun 14, 2006,
Ibanez Soundgear or a Schecter bass would do quite nice.
Holiday, Boulevard Of Broken Dreams And American Idiot's Solos!!!! Those Are Soooo Good!!!
greenday1182
Spectors are godlike but only if you have the cash (theyre expensive)

a schecter stilletto bass is really good
Soul Collector of the BassMilitia PM Dinkydaisy

Co-leader of The league of toxicity33, Kankuro, Dr. Gonzo Slash, DownInAHole, Synyster Gates, This End Up, and Neil_.

You should've used the Pythagorean Theorem, BITCH

BLALLALALASSISSIS *shank*
My mate bought a Warwick Rockbass Corvette Active the other day... It's actually amazingly nice for the money, and has such a vibrant tone.

EDIT: Link. It's over your price limit, but it's definitely worth looking into.
Musicman Stingray 3EQ
Cool, thanks for the replies guys. Well you all seem to approve Ibanez's, so I'll probably get one of those. The only problem with some of the other brands like Shecter is that I don't have many dealers around my area, because I live in Australia. I'll definitely look into Yamahas, though. I know they have those.

Quote by bassguru
I wouldn't recommend epiphones, gibson make really nice electric guitars but the basses they manufacture are........... nasty, in a word. they are too heavy, and the sound they produce (without effects etc) are not as good as what a fender bass can produce. but ibanez have good basses. go to a music store and ask if you can try them out beofre you make your decision.

Yeah, I've tried an Ibanez at my local music store. Plays pretty good. I'll try some others.
Quote by bassguru

i disagree. i have an epi LP and with a little bit of modification it is awsome, although the sound is not as good as a standard fender, you can get it to sound up to par with a simple 5 band eq.
Quote by Applehead
^^ Hmmm, no, not really. Epiphone are known for their basses. Look at Ibanez, Shecter, Spector, Yamaha. No offence but if you're not a bassist and know nothing about basses, why answer?

if you do a search there are so many of these threads around you'll get some more info..

i had a friend with an epiphone thunderbird, and i hated it. although it really had some presence, i did not like the way the bass was set up. that headstock just would not stay up, and the bridge was so high i could practically fit my arm through. granted the kid had no idea how to use it, but when i played it, i felt such a lack of tone. it booms, not much else.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
Yeah, I don't think I'll get the Thunderbird anyway. I don't like that shape on a bass.