I've just started to learn sweep picking and I cant stop notes from ringing out after I play them. Any help would be much appreciated.
~ My Gear ~

Gibson Les Paul Studio in Alpine White with EMG 81/60
Fender Stratocaster
Marshall DSL401
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
Boss Super Overdrive SD-1
Boss Noise Suppressor NS-2
Digitech RP80
Samson Wireless
Fender Champions Series 30

e|-------1-|
b|-----2---|
g|---3-----|
d|-4-------|

say you are sweeping that (for example). after you play the 4th fret on the d-string you should pull the finger off before your picking had gets to the 3rd fret of the g-string. all you have to do is pull your finger off of the note you just hit and it should stop ringing if both of your hands are synchronized.
after you would play the
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
at first practice sweepings extremely slow. i mean very slow, like 1 note per second or something ridiculous like that, and concentrate on trying to lift your finger off the string enough to mute it, before you pick the next note. this is hard to get the hang of but it helps a lot. once you're comfortable with that, then use palm muting while sweeping, trying to again mute the string after you play it. once you get that down you can use both methods of muting together to get a really clean sound, then all you have to do is speed it up
Quote by metal4all

e|-------1-|
b|-----2---|
g|---3-----|
d|-4-------|

say you are sweeping that (for example). after you play the 4th fret on the d-string you should pull the finger off before your picking had gets to the 3rd fret of the g-string. all you have to do is pull your finger off of the note you just hit and it should stop ringing if both of your hands are synchronized.
after you would play the

Yea thats what I do but if I'm playing that example, the 4th string seems to ring out after I lift my finger off.
~ My Gear ~

Fender Stratocaster
Marshall DSL401
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
Digitech RP80
Samson Wireless
are you doing a "pull-off" on accident? if you're not doing that your finger may accidentally tug the string when you're pulling it away to hit the next note. i would suggest doing some sweeping exercise real slow and analyze what exactly you are doing and what may cause it. headfest88 has some good advice as well there. i dont know, i hope that helps.

edit: if all else fails, here is a link to a really good sweep picking video, so you can make sure you are doing it right: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/features/steal_this_video_sweep_picking.html
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Last edited by metal4all at Jun 13, 2006,
Yea, I've realised I am doing a small pull off which is really annoying because I cant stop myself doing it
~ My Gear ~

Fender Stratocaster
Marshall DSL401
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
Digitech RP80
Samson Wireless
oh, in that case... i would still recommend giving that vid a watch to see exactly how it is done right to see if there are any changes you can make to stop a pulloff from occurring.

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥