How long does it take from the point you start learning to play the guitar
and til the moment you know the guitar good enuf to improvise the best you can
and know all the scales and modes by heart, and know where every key is...
becouse i've been playing for some time now.. and i still didnt get there.. =\
it all depends on how often/much you practice your scales. start practicing like 5 hours a day, and you'll be there in no time.
^wrong.

it's not how many hours u practice but it's what u practice in those hours.
Quote by Jimi Hendrix
The Blues Is Easy To Play But Hard To Feel.

Quote by Chris Impellitteri
I Promise That My Solos Will Only Get Faster.
[Practice Makes Perfect][Hell Yeah]
Quote by Drone_
How long does it take from the point you start learning to play the guitar
and til the moment you know the guitar good enuf to improvise the best you can
and know all the scales and modes by heart, and know where every key is...
becouse i've been playing for some time now.. and i still didnt get there.. =\
What's the sound of one hand clapping? How long is a rope? It takes as long as it takes.
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.
The more you practice the right stuff, the quicker it gets in your head, also helps if you keep scales for a warm up exercise every time you play as you'll never forget them once learnt.
Well I asked my guitar teacher at school, who has a degree in classical preformance/loves van halen/is an amazing guitarist, how long it took him to be able to play and get across exactly what he's feeling all the time and do great improvising all the time - and he said it took him until about 1999 or 2001. This guy is 40, and started playing when he was 14, and he plays a lot. Now he could probably improvise to the degree you mean a long time before that, but he wasn't very satisfied with himself until about 5 years ago, and still really isn't. As gpb said, its different for everyone. Hope that helped
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour
Quote by Evil_Empire24-7
^wrong.

it's not how many hours u practice but it's what u practice in those hours.

yes
Call me Sean
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
He's just trying to protect our innocence.

Yes i am
Quote by :Vicious--

Your flirting powers are incredible.

Gear:
Schecter S1 Elite Black Cherry (Soapbar Neck, Invader Bridge)
Schecter Banshee
Orange Dual Terror
Boss CE-5
Goatkeeper
With guitar, and indeed any musical instrument, it's hard to see whats behind you, only in front. You can play for 20 years and be what is considered and excellent guitarist, and then see someone like Clapton, Satch, or whoever...and think Man i am still lame. That's the problem. I'm not a very good guitarist at all, bass is my main instrument.. but when people come round and i play they think i am brilliant. Recently my friend came over who is just starting to learn and i was watching him practice changing from an Open C to and Open G. Now, if you cast your mind way back you'll remember thinking how impossible that was at the time.

So in asnwer to your question, there is is no answer because the possibilities are endless in music, you never stop learning. It's like a martial art in that respect. You never know as much as you want to.
Quote by slash.hammett
it all depends on how often/much you practice your scales. start practicing like 5 hours a day, and you'll be there in no time.

true, quality of pracitce over quanity of practice
yeah but one hour of good practice is far more beneficial than sitting for five hours trying to learn master Of Puppets solo./

To get good, you have to sit and be bored ****less for a long lonf time, doing monotonour drills and down, up and down, up and down, up and down........... (repeat to fade)
Quote by Applehead
yeah but one hour of good practice is far more beneficial than sitting for five hours trying to learn master Of Puppets solo./

To get good, you have to sit and be bored ****less for a long lonf time, doing monotonour drills and down, up and down, up and down, up and down........... (repeat to fade)

along with this basic technical training, however, it is crucial to play and improvise and learn songs to train your ears and give you a sense of melody. scales are important, but with scales alone, you just learn... scales. learn lots of music to get better at improvising/creating music.

by the way...

The lengendary baroque composer Joseph Haydn, who lived to be 77, was reported to have said near the end of his life, "I have just learned to write for the woodwinds, and now I must leave this world."

you never get there. there's always more you can do.
Quote by Dan Steinman
along with this basic technical training, however, it is crucial to play and improvise and learn songs to train your ears and give you a sense of melody. scales are important, but with scales alone, you just learn... scales. learn lots of music to get better at improvising/creating music.

by the way...

The lengendary baroque composer Joseph Haydn, who lived to be 77, was reported to have said near the end of his life, "I have just learned to write for the woodwinds, and now I must leave this world."

you never get there. there's always more you can do.

I completely agree with you. I'm just of the opinion you should learn songs via scales and not scales via songs, if you know what i mean. but yeah, learning songs helps you so much.

and as for your last statement.. never a truer word say brother