i've been playing guitar for 5 months, and looking to improve my sound. I really like metal (slayer, pantera, assorted thrash and death) and enjoy that sort of tone. Currently, I have an ESP M-100 guitar and a cheap marshal mg10 amp. A friend told me that i should buy a line6 pod and then i can get all sorts of tones, his reasoning being that "the amp is just the speaker. don't worry about it." But i am having doubts about this advice... Would i be better served to buy a better quality 30-50 watt amp, then slowly build up the collection of pedals?

What pedals will i need? obviously a distortion pedal. an overdrive? a phlanger? phaser? any suggestions on what pedals to aquire for metal style?

can i buy used pedals over ebay, or do you all advise against that?

thanks.
Definitely get a new amp. The amp isn't just a speaker when you use a POD through it. It still goes through the preamp and the poweramp. And unfortunately sending a signal through an MG sterilizes the tone.

I don't think you should buy pedals until you get an amp that you know that you are going to have for a long time.

What's your price range?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
New amp all the way. You gotta have something capable of a good basic tone before you start adding effects. NOTHING, not even my brand-spanking-new ZOOM G7 sounds good through my SS 10watt practice amp. How about a Roland Cube? They're well-priced, sound good and have plenty of decent effects built in to get you by until you can afford come pedals.
Love is not a victory march.
Last edited by shakysam at Jun 13, 2006,
thanks guys for the confirmation. i was reading around these boards recently and have actually been putting serious thought into a roland, as it seems most people around here reccomend them. probably go with a 30 watt or so... nothing too crazy or big, considering this is only for practice purposes, and i am still new to the instrument.

i will start trying out a roland cube in this next month, and just in case, i think i should test out another alternative. any other comparables that you like? possibly vox or randall for that metal-ish tone and effects?
ad30vt is a good choice for a lot of things. I'm not sure how good it is at metal but it's a good amp. the ad50vt has celestion speakers... but it costs more
Quote by Kneusje
^ He's right!

Quote by Flea of RHCP
I LOVE, I LOVE, I LOVE... KILLER WHALES! AND I LOVE MANGOS! AND IGGY POP TOO! I LOVE IGGY POP! AND EVEN GETTING UP EARLY IN THE MORNING, AND SWIMMING! AND TAKING A GOOOOOD SH*T! AND I LOVE ALL OF YOU TOO!

Quote by RHCPKicksA$$
ad30vt is a good choice for a lot of things. I'm not sure how good it is at metal but it's a good amp. the ad50vt has celestion speakers... but it costs more

He plays metal, so the AD**VT's won't suit him the best. I would say go for a Roland Cube 60, but then if you get the Pod in the future, it will make your amp go
I'd say go for the Cube 30 or 60.

I've heard that the Ibanez ValBee is supposed to be good for metal. Not sure it's best for you, but something to consider.
No animals were harmed in order to bring you the above post. However, several photons were greatly inconvenienced.

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNO-TOAD