I've been playing for a while now, and doing quite well. However, whenever I go to play standing up, everything goes horribly wrong. I find it hard to change chords accurately, can't play solos without propping my leg up against something to raise the guitar, and my index finger on my picking hand always hits the strings, which can be very painful.

Any tips on how to get good playing standing up?
practice.
I know its the usual advice most people give, but standing up and sitting down are two different things.

Once you get used to one, it feels awkward in the other posistion.

I used to play sitting down, but now i need to stand to use my wah pedal, and now i find it awkward sitting down.

It just takes getting used to, and finding out how to hold your guitar while standing
Been away, am back
Wow, I'm the complete opposite - I can't play sat down to save my life
Co-President of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

yeah- what others guys said- practice standin up, and get a strap that u can adjust easily. Start with it up like buddy holly, and lower it slightly when you can play perfect. Youll soon be playin like Slash!!
Quote by MastaBassist10
"Um, yes waiter, I'll have a wank, please."

Quote by HaKattack

I'm a man. We don't cry. We bottle up emotions and become abusive alcoholics.

Proud Member of Slashism. PM slashs_#1_fan to join
Ha! I don't know about playing like Slash, but thanks anyway

Pretty much the advice I was expecting, to keep practising, I didn't think of shortening the strap though, I'll definitely try that. Need to buy some decent strap locks first, though. Thanks for the help! (and keep any more tips comin)
^What i meant was with your guitar on your knees. No-one (except joe perry and Page) can actually play like Slash
Quote by MastaBassist10

Quote by HaKattack

^sorry to cut you down there, now i feel mean. sorry
Quote by MastaBassist10

Quote by HaKattack

I always have my strap fairly high, but the best advice I can give is to always practice both equally!! Thats the only way.
You should keep your strap short enough so that you don't have to bend your wrist in unhealthy ways to grab the neck...
#57 of the Alter Bridge Fan Club
Quote by mamakin87
^sorry to cut you down there, now i feel mean. sorry

No, not at all!

What I forgot to mention initally was that I'm having particular problems with reaching frets past the 12th fret, and I can't keep my thumb in the correct position on the neck. These are the things I'm specifically having problems with.