Page 1 of 2
I currently have a solid state crate XT120R, it's pretty good, but I know that I want to upgrade my amp to a tube amp. I have researched and currently I'm looking at Peaveys, Mesas, and Carvins. I listen/play mostly metal/nu metal ie: Metallica, Slayer, Pantera, Sevendust, Korn, Mudvayne, Sabbath. I've had some recommendations such as the Mesa Dual Rectifier and the Peavey Triple XXX, I have a budget of around 1000-1500. What would suit my style best?
^true. Mesa boogie dual rectifier is great for metal. Mesa Boogie mark iv has better cleans but i feel the dual has better overdrive.
try an engl powerball, they have enough gain to kill a grown man
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
Quote by Inspired_by_Vai
try an engl powerball, they have enough gain to kill a grown man

Actually read the thread, dont just jump on the ENGL boner.

He has a price range, and a Powerball would be way outside of it.
Quote by TheFluffy

Didnt see the price range
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
The Dual Recto would probably fit your tastes in music very well. However you could try something like a Mesa Boogie Mark IV. I haven't played one but I've heard very good things about them.
Current Gear
-LTD M-50
-Mesa Boogie 3 Channel Dual Rectifer
-Mesa 2x12 Rectifier Cabinet
-Peavey Rage 158
Quote by TheFluffy

actually no. you could easily get a used powerball for $1500 used with a footswitch. although you'd still need a cab, the actuall "amp" part is essentialy within his price range.

dont buy an XXX if you have a grand. maybe if you were limited to under $700, but over that feel free to get something better. like the for-mentioned peavey 6505/5150 if you'd rather go used. they're great amps.

also within your range is the ENGL screamer 50. great amps.

the mesa mark IV is also a great idea, as is a single recto if you like recto tone.

to help us better decide an amp that would suit you, any specific tones you want? bright? dark? bassy? cutting?
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Quote by gpderek09
actually no. you could easily get a used powerball for $1500 used with a footswitch. although you'd still need a cab, the actuall "amp" part is essentialy within his price range.

Exactly, He wouldnt have any money at all for a cab...maybe 100 bucks or so..and a cab for that money would ruin the tone of the powerball, and leave it sounding like crap.

Hence the powerball not being a good option.

I would have said that earlier, but i got banned from diablo so i was in a bad mood. I still am. The bastards.
Last edited by TheFluffy at Jun 13, 2006,
^ I'm not really an expert on tones, but I want that raw crunchy sound of Pantera. I have the JB pickup in my mahogany Schecter so it's really trebly so I might need something a little darker with a little more bass to balance it out I guess. Sorry it's hard to choose that, I'm not really an expert, but I'd prbly say dark/cutting is what I'm looking for.
Quote by pierce34celtic
^ I'm not really an expert on tones, but I want that raw crunchy sound of Pantera. I have the JB pickup in my mahogany Schecter so it's really trebly so I might need something a little darker with a little more bass to balance it out I guess. Sorry it's hard to choose that, I'm not really an expert, but I'd prbly say dark/cutting is what I'm looking for.

Dimebags tone will so be hard to recrate. You would need a Bill Lawrence xl-500, a solid state randall, and amazing chops. His style was alot of his tone.

Id pry go for the 5150. Its dark and has sweet bass.
^ Alrite, thanks, i figured it would be difficult, but for Metallica, Slayer, Sabbath, the Peavey 5150 would be best? I'm probably also going to install EMG's in my guitar, or buy a Hellraiser FR down the road. Is the 6505 similar?

http://www.music123.com/Peavey-6505-212-Combo-i158444.music
Quote by pierce34celtic
^ Alrite, thanks, i figured it would be difficult, but for Metallica, Slayer, Sabbath, the Peavey 5150 would be best? I'm probably also going to install EMG's in my guitar, or buy a Hellraiser FR down the road. Is the 6505 similar?

http://www.music123.com/Peavey-6505-212-Combo-i158444.music

The 6505 is the EXACT same thing tone wise.

The 5150 will work for just about any metal. Unless its a bright tone.
I'm sure you could EQ it all funky, use an all maple strat with JB's, and get it a bit brighter.
Quote by Mascot
I'm sure you could EQ it all funky, use an all maple strat with JB's, and get it a bit brighter.

Or get a XXX and EQ it dark. Its your choice.
Make sure you actually try these amps out at a local guitar shop (if possible) before running to get your credit card to buy... You could also check out the Peavey JSX line

Btw, I've never seen a MarkIV sell for under a grand.
Mesa F-100, Mark IV, Mark III, Rectifier studio recording, Single Rectifier, and NOMAD. All of those would be used and on Ebay to be around $1000.

Peavey XXX, 5150II, 6505

Randalls have a great non tube tone except for their new series where you buy the tone card thingys. The Line 6 HD-147 is a sexy metal massacre too, check it out.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
JSX is the way to go.
#12 of the "Ibanez SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4life SZ! to join!
Quote by TheFluffy
JSX doesnt have enough gain for metal, imo.

Really? O well, it maybe the most versatile out of the group, except maybe the engl's.
Quote by love_O_rock
Really? O well, it maybe the most versatile out of the group, except maybe the engl's.

Wait, versatile...that means that there would be times that your not playing metal....WHO THE HELL DOES THAT??!?!
Quote by TheFluffy
Wait, versatile...that means that there would be times that your not playing metal....WHO THE HELL DOES THAT??!?!

lol

ENGL ftw.
How much better is the ENGL Powerball than the Peavey 6505 or the Mesa Dual Recto? And lastly, do you guys recommend getting the 6505 head or the combo. I was interested in getting the combo instead of getting a head and a cab because it could go out of my price range. Can you play with just a head until you get a cab?
Or how about an Engl Fireball?

They are said to have about hte same amount of gain as the powerball, but less features, (one eq control for overdrive/clean)
Quote by pierce34celtic
How much better is the ENGL Powerball than the Peavey 6505 or the Mesa Dual Recto? And lastly, do you guys recommend getting the 6505 head or the combo. I was interested in getting the combo instead of getting a head and a cab because it could go out of my price range. Can you play with just a head until you get a cab?

The powerball is amazing.
Quote by pierce34celtic

a) How much better is the ENGL Powerball than the Peavey 6505 or the Mesa Dual Recto?

b) And lastly, do you guys recommend getting the 6505 head or the combo. I was interested in getting the combo instead of getting a head and a cab because it could go out of my price range.

c) Can you play with just a head until you get a cab?

a)well, the powerball, peavey, and dual recto are 3 very different tones. powerball is voiced in the high mid, the peavey is voiced in the low mid, and the dual is voiced in the low lows. imo powerball is the beast of the beasts.

b) i'd go with the combo, as you can always get a cab later.

c) no
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by pierce34celtic
^ They didnt reacommend ss gear because I asked for tube amp recommendations.

Whats that too?

Noone said anything about SS.
Quote by Mascot
He deleted his post. Don't worry about it.

Oh, recommending the uber leet fender metalhead?
^ no some guy said something like

"can't belive nobodies recomended any SS or rack gear."

or something like that.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

why don't u try out the fender metal head? i have one and its DAMN GOOD
^Right. Of COURSE it is. You keep on thinking that, noob. Just don't tell anyone.

Laney GH-50L. It has enough gain for ya. Check Harmony Central for reviews. I believe the amount of gain it has has been compared to the 5150.
...Which is a damn lot, yes?

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
^ yes indeed.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

when it comes to metal amps the 6505 is the 800 pound gorilla.
if the 6505 is the 800 pund gorilla, than the powerball is the juggernaught in gorilla form and will eat the costume of the entire universe.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Page 1 of 2