First of all i know people use modes and penatonics for blues and jazz but I would like to know what exactly are modes. I know you supposed to be able to play modes after you know your scales ,and so on (I do by the way) but could someone explain MODES to me especially since I'm looking how to spice up my blues playing.

p.s. sorry for my crappy grammer
I can explain what a mode is, not sure how to apply it to playing properley though...

A mode is built of a degree of a scale. It goes like this (in C)

1st Degree-C So the mode is C Ionian. The notes are :

C D E F G A B C

2nd-D- D Dorian:

D E F G A B C D

3rd-E- E phrygian:

E F G A B C D E

4th- F - F Lydian:

F G A B C D E F

5th - G-G myxolydian:

G A B C D E F G

6th A- A Aeloian (the relative minor)

A B C D E F G A

7th -B - B Locrian.:

B C D E F G A B

They all have the same notes .the notes of C major (or Ionian which is the same thing) but they are based around there 1st note of taht mode. For instance. D Dorian is built around D , but using the notes of C Major still.

In they key of C all the chords that fit in they key are: (with the modes that fit over them)

Cmaj7 C Ionian
Dmin7 D Dorian
Emin7 E Phrygian
Fmag7 F Lydian
G7 G Myxolydian
Amin7 A Aeloian
Bmin7b5 B Locrian

That's pretty much all I know about modes. The same rules apply to all keys just replace C ionian withA ionian or whatever key you're in.

It affrimed the knowledge in my head though.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
So do they all link up from the Root notes?
Also whats the point of modes, as in what are they used for?
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
If you are in the key of C and you are using E phrygian. The root note is still C, but you will be basing what you are playing around E Phryigan (still the notes of C major). To resolve you will have to go bac to C (the root) though...

But yes I see what you mean. They fit with specific chords . (you might be able to go alot further with this, I don't know, but taht's at least th4 basic idea) C ionian goes with Cmaj7 D dorian goes with Dmin7 etc etc

also...

blaghh. don'tk as me. That really is like my entire understanding of modes. I can't apply them to music in any useful way yet or anything. That's just where they go.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
yea modes will give you a certain sound that you want

it all depends on what mode usage you want

some modes have major qualities(ionian,lydian)
some have minor qualities(aeolian,dorian)