i think it's supposed to go the other way around, but i might have to set it up reverse because of the lenth of the wires left over

what do you think?
If it's newer EMGs, then they should have the Quick Connect clips, meaning you can disconnect the wires and reconnect as necessary. If they're older pickups, then the leas are hard-wired to the pickups.

Personally, I think the 81 is generally better in the bridge, but it depends on the guitar's wood.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
i actually prefer 85 bridge. there's more chunk and crunch with distortion. killswitch engage does it.
LSD

"Member #5 of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Pot Smokers Association. PM AK Guitarist to join."
Killswitch's Caparison guitars have alder bodies. The EMG 81 sounds like ass in the bridge of alder, IMO. The 85 is a much better choice for bridge in alder. But like I said in my post, it depends on the wood of the guitar.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

if you have a dark sounding wood (mahogany) go for the 81 in the bridge, if they have the very useful quick connects there should be no problem with caqble length
GEAR

ESP LTD Viper 400 with EMG 81s
Jackson Dinky DXMG with EMG 81/85
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60 DSP
Ashdown Fallen Angel Cab 120W 4X12
Keeley Modded SD-1 Overdrive
Korg DT-10 Tuner
Noise gate (cheap)
EQ (cheap)
I don't like the 81 in the neck at all.

I agree with crunch about 85 or 81 in the bridge.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ya i have mahogany guitars 81 in Bridge 60 in Neck
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
well, the body is some kind of blonde wood with light, horizontal grain pattern. kinda looks like maple but i'm quite sure it's not. i got it just as a body from a kit, so what ever the standard strat-style guitar-body wood would be.

the 85 is about 20 years old, so wires go directly in, and they are cut too short for the neck position.

i will be playing mostly ambient death metal.
Quote by sethp
well, the body is some kind of blonde wood with light, horizontal grain pattern. kinda looks like maple but i'm quite sure it's not. i got it just as a body from a kit, so what ever the standard strat-style guitar-body wood would be.

the 85 is about 20 years old, so wires go directly in, and they are cut too short for the neck position.

i will be playing mostly ambient death metal.

ahem, sorry all i can think about is death metal being played in an elevator or hotel lobby somewhere in sweden.
You can always get new wire and extend the existing wire to make it long enough. It's quite easy.

Get some flux and shring tubing. Strip the leads of the existing pickup wire and slide a length of shink tubing over the lead. Get a new piece of 2-conductor wire, and splice the 2 end together and solder. Slide the shrink tubing over the soldered part and heat with a lighter or something until the tubing shrinks around your solder joint. You'll have a lead that's just as good as the one that came out of the pickup, and you can make it as long as you want.

i like the 81 in the neck for heavy distortion..but the cleans suck
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
I have dual 81s in my Lado. It's an all maple guitar, so it has a really big, solid tone. The 81 in the neck sounds surprisingly good for lead work. Very smooth and 'creamy', but with lots of bite and definition. It's not the greatest for cleans though.

thanks, i guess i could always switch them around to see which work better.

so what makes the clean tones on the emg so terrible?
looks like i can get another 85 for less money than the 81. how would 2 85's do?
because they are so high output! however. the EMG60 is all rite for cleans
GEAR

ESP LTD Viper 400 with EMG 81s
Jackson Dinky DXMG with EMG 81/85
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60 DSP
Ashdown Fallen Angel Cab 120W 4X12
Keeley Modded SD-1 Overdrive
Korg DT-10 Tuner
Noise gate (cheap)
EQ (cheap)
I've never liked 81s in the neck, but the 85 is actually surprisingly good in the bridge.
All the EMG's sound good in all postions. If you put a 60 or 85 in the bridge it will have a smoother lead tone and a great (rhythm) tone if you tend to keep your guitar in bridge postion. Putting an 81 in the neck will have more clarity than the 60 or 85 because its a brighter pickup. It all depends on your tone preferances.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio