Quick question, for those who have actually played either of these.

I own an Epi LP, bought about 7 months ago, have kept it clean, etc. And am looking to get a better sound out of it. The stock pups aren't doing it for me anymore. I typically play through only Marshalls, and I'm definitely beginning to see I lack tone compared to other guitars I've played. I've attempted adjusting heights, etc, so I have one simple question.

Anyone have a preference on either the Burstbucker 1 & 2 combination, Burstbucker 2 & 3 combination, or the '57 Classic & '57 Plus combination?

I'm looking to go with ONE of those, so please don't reccomend me to DiMarzio or some other company. I'm dead-set on these *three*, and would like some opinions.

If it helps, I'm an avid Zep fan, and prefer the Page tone, but at the same time, I love my distortion.. and I'd like to be able to kick it up when I feel like it.. so, with that in mind.. please, guide me.

Edit: my mistake, I meant three, not two. :/
Last edited by StonesFan15 at Jun 13, 2006,
(a) what marshall do you have?

(b) why ask for advice, if you limit the advice we can give ("ONLY from these 3")?

(c) what's your budget?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
(a) Currently, I'm alternating between an AVT50 and an MG30DFX, but before the end of the year, I plan on buying a JCM2000 DSL 100 with the 1960A cab.

(b) I asked for advice, because as I said, I'd like to know what opinions are out there regarding these setups. I've played others, and haven't been too fond of them. I don't see what the problem is with narrowing my options..

(c) I'm looking to spend around $200-220 for both pickups, (money's a bit tight, due to the 'amp fund' I have going) which is why the BB's and '57s fit in my price range.
(a) ok, just make sure you buy that better amp though, lol.

(b) you shouldn't narrow your options before you have to. This applies to everything in life, not just pickups, lol. Which pickups have you tried that you didn't like? That'd help a lot.

(c) lots of pickups fit into that price range...

I'm not trying to slag you off or anything, I just want you to get the best pickups you can for your cash.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have the Giibson CS LP '57 with the BB 1 and 2, the SG '61 RI with the '57s, and an Epi Explorer upgraded to BB Pros (2 and 3). For LedZep, the LP with BB 1 and 2 comes the closest because of the mahogany/maple, as opposed to the mahogany on the SG and Explorer.

I'm not sure what kind of Epi LP you have, but if it's the mahogany/maple, your best bet would probably be to go with the 'BB 1 and 2. I'm sure you can make the other 2 combos work for you and they're all within your budget. They're not extreme in any way, compared to some of the face-melting PUs that are pretty common now.
Yeah I understand what you're trying to say.

And yeah, the amps I have now suck, horribly, but they take what I give them, so I can't really complain. Considering I've only been playing for 2-3 years, I don't have many concerns about the amp just yet, but I've definitely found myself wanting more from them.. hence why I've started working on that halfstack.

But.. I've played SDs, not really sure which ones, but I didn't like the sound I got out of them. They were way too.. creamy on the clean side, with not much note clarity, and way too fuzzy with distortion. I really just want a classic setup, that I can use to play Zep, ACDC, but also have the ability to play some newer material.

I apologize for making it difficult, so if you would like, I'd be willing to check out different manufacturers, I just figured it'd be best if I stuck with Gibsons.
^ I'm not a fan of SD's either. I'm not too well up on the gibbo pickups, I haven't tried the 57's, and I've only tried whatever type of BB's come stock on the LP standards.

Aside from the gibbos, you might want to look into:

wolfetones (www.wolfetone.com). I'm not too sure about the specific model- it should be pretty obvious, or you could email wolfe if you want any advice. I haven't tried these, I've just heard good things.

swineshead: www.swinesheadpickups.co.uk. They post worldwide. I have a set of these (warthog bridge, condor neck, spotlight middle) and they're really good. A lot better than any duncans I've tried. I'd probably get a runaway bridge, condor (or runaway) neck for the tones you're after- if you don't like creamy, the runaway neck may be better. I haven't tried the runaway, though, but judging by mine, it should be great. Gabel got a runaway recently (bridge) and said it was great.

lollar: the imperial, probably. It's their only humbucker. Might be a little creamy (just going by the spec). Haven't tried it...

www.highorderpickups.com they can pretty much wind you what you want. Quite a long wait... again, haven't tried, but have heard great things.

There are probably a lot more that I've forgotten...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Am I to chiche for sayin BKP black dogs or riff raffs?
#12 of the "Ibanez SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4life SZ! to join!
http://www.billlawrence.com makes some good pickups from what I hear. Not entirely sure which ones you'd like. He has a small selection, all of which can be customized if you just call him up. You can also discuss with either him or his wife the sound you're looking for and they can help you choose one.
Quote by love_O_rock
Am I to chiche for sayin BKP black dogs or riff raffs?

His busget is around $200, not enough for BKP.

Go with what Dave_Mc said and check out the swinesheads, they're great pickups and should leave you with a little extra money for that JCM.
Quote by GiantRaven
I'm sure theres a Nigerian king just waiting for you to reply to his email
ah, oh yeah, i forgot about www.sdpickups.com and www.billlawrence.com

check those out too.

love_0_rock: yeah, BK's are over budget, i think...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
O well, thought he meant 200 on each.

Maybe kent armstrong is in his price range? just throwing it out there.....
#12 of the "Ibanez SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4life SZ! to join!
I ordered a bass and when it was delivered the pickups had fallen back into it and the plastic casing was in the right position... After taking that off I saw that they had used glue to hold it in place originally. Now since I have never fixed a pickup in this way before I just wanted to know if really matters about what type of glue I use. Epoxy or something low end like Elmers. I doubt it really does but I just need to be sure.
I know it is a stupid question and everything but this is quite a nice bass and I would really hate to have to buy new pickups or something.
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join
Founder of the Soundgarden Fan Club (Louder Than F*ck!). PM me to join.
^^^Nevermind, I got it done and it sounds fantastic.
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join
Founder of the Soundgarden Fan Club (Louder Than F*ck!). PM me to join.
I went with the Burstbucker 1 & 2 set. I figured it would be more cost-effective to do so. If I had a bit more money, I would've gone with the Bare Knuckles, but this time I stuck with Gibson.

The only problem (and I know most of you are probably going to redirect me to another thread) is that I wanted an open-coil in the bridge, so I plan on removing the cover on the BB2. From what I've read, the BB2 isn't wax-potted, so I shouldn't have to worry about that. I've read some articles about some people using a small cutting wheel (which I really don't think is a good idea), or the other way, where you just heat up and remove the solder that is currently holding the cover to the pickup.

Any suggestions regarding the removal of the cover? (I'd even appreciate a link to a different thread )
BB 1 and 2s were the best that i've used. I'm pretty sure they can buy them without covers. Why would you oh they look so sexy with them. All it does is increase midrange slightly.

edit: thru a atv or mg it wouldn't be enough to change that crap tone.
I bought them both with covers, because that was what they had in stock. I love the look with the covers, but I guess it's more of a cosmetic thing that I've wanted..

I find open coils sexy when paired with a covered p'up :P