Hi, I play in a hardcore band My Band and am getting ready to buy a new guitar. Right now I have a Fender Mexican Fat Strat with a Floyd Rose and Emg-S/S/81. I always play in Drop-D and am pretty happy with the tone I get from my Fender. I use and gig with a Mesa/Boogie Rect-O-Verb. I would say that the only problems I have with my guitar now is I am not very fond of the whole 9V battery thing and since there's not a cavity in my body for the Floyd Rose, I really can't pull it 'up' without 'floating' it. I guess I could have that professionally done but it seems to destroy my action every time.

Anyway, I've done a bit of research and have decided to go with either the Jackson DKMG Dinky or Ibanez RG1570. They're both about $749 at MusiciansFriend and I plan to change the pickups. I have only recently considered the Jackson, only because it seems to have very good reviews. I do like the H/S/H configuration of the Ibanez. For pickups, I'm thinking DiMarzio PAF Pro/YJM/X2N. I don't really think that it would be worth changing the pickups in the Jackson (EMG-85/81), but 1. I already have EMGs in my Fender and 2. My other guitarist is planning to get a Schecter Hellraiser (EMG-85/81).

Now that I think I've pretty much gone over the spec-similarities of the two guitars (FloydRose vs. EdgePro; both 24 frets) I'm simply asking for opinions on the two. Please tell me what you think.
I own the TOM version of the DKMG, but, that means it's the same thing as the DKMG, minus the FR and a EMG TurboCharger (Which just adds more noise) My model of the DKMGT is discontinued, because they came out with the 81/85 version.

From what word goes around here, FR-licensed bridges are meant to suck.

However, the 1570 has a good bridge. Again, from word around here.

But, it's always best to try them out yourself.
Jackson SLSMG Soloist (JB/Jazz)
Roland Micro Cube

Member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join.
jacksonn
Quote by MastaBassist10
Run around the city jacking off in random places... and when you cum, jump out at people and yell "SURPRISE!" Then walk away calmly as if nothing had happened. That's what I would do, anyway.

Quote by Unofficial
Jackusaureles, You're now my favorite UGer.
Ibanez hands down~

Faster and more comfortable neck, way better trem, sleeker, more shred capable.

Of course these are my opinions, except about the trem part, ibanez is better thats a fact lol.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Last edited by ClassicAxe at Jun 13, 2006,
Oh, and I forgot to mention that my local music store is very big on amps (one of two Mesa/Boogie dealers in Georgia) but they have hardly any guitars. So I'm not so sure how easy it would be to try them both out. I think I may be able to try the Jackson but I'm not so sure about the Ibanez. I'll do what I can though, and thanks for your help.
play em both at a store and decide which you like better. i prefer the jackson but thats just me
I would go with the jackson also.
"VANDALISM: Beautiful As A Rock In A Cop's Face."
Kurt Cobain
RG1570 and dont get EMGs too trebly unless you go 85 in the bridge, go with Dimarzio SUper Distortion or Duncan Distortion, direct mounted into the body will pick up harmonics like crazy. Plus the neck is slicker than the Jacks.
Center Stage Music, Augusta GA. I believe on the Mesa/Boogie website it says the only other "Liscensed" Dealer or whatever is in Marietta.
Quote by ClassicAxe
Ibanez hands down~

Faster and more comfortable neck, way better trem, sleeker, more shred capable.

Of course these are my opinions, except about the trem part, ibanez is better thats a fact lol.

You'd say Ibanez still if it was a JEM vs. Your own custom-shop Jackson.
Roland Micro Cube

^ No i wouldnt. I like jacksons, and especiallly the soloist models..... its just that, in this comparison the 1570 wins.

Im not being biased, i like both brands.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Well for a while I was rather obcessed with the JEM but I'm afraid it's just a bit too expensive for me. Lol I'm only 15 but my amp was like $1575 so I'm trying to keep the guitar down to like $1000 (which is what the Ibanez would be with all new pickups.) And CustomCustom, I was really thinking the X2N and PAF Pro would be the way to go (yeah it rhymes) with pickups. Keep in mind I need ALOT of gain.
^ Thats where your amp comes in, you dont need super highout put pickups...

Try like a Dimarzio TZ or EVO
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
I've never played the Jackson so I'm totally biased, but I have the 1570 and it kicks ass. The neck is so frickin' sweet. I'm not a fan of the pickups though, but seen as you're changing them anyway that shouldn't matter.

Hmm.. kinda off topic but is it ok to have my gain at like.. 9.5-10? It says in the booklet that it's 'commen sense' not to have anything at 10 but here's my equalizer settings: Gain-10; Treble:9; Mid:1; Bass:7 I'm also asking because a while ago, like 3 days after a show my amp just stopped working.. it sounded like there was a short in the wires but I got it back from a repair and it was $80. They said they had to take it apart and stuff, they didn't even screw the screws back in but anyway, I still don't know what was wrong with it.
Quote by PerryS.
Well for a while I was rather obcessed with the JEM but I'm afraid it's just a bit too expensive for me. Lol I'm only 15 but my amp was like $1575 so I'm trying to keep the guitar down to like $1000 (which is what the Ibanez would be with all new pickups.) And CustomCustom, I was really thinking the X2N and PAF Pro would be the way to go (yeah it rhymes) with pickups. Keep in mind I need ALOT of gain.
X2N sounds like a$$ so does the Dimebucker unless you want your nice Prestige to sound like a garbage can with strings.
Quote by CustomCustom
X2N sounds like a$$

Not with Michael Romeo using it.
Roland Micro Cube

^^ agreed but whats he using for amps effects and settings? X2Ns Ive played instores sounded too trebly with mad feedback.
Quote by PerryS.
Center Stage Music, Augusta GA. I believe on the Mesa/Boogie website it says the only other "Liscensed" Dealer or whatever is in Marietta.

Yeah it is I was there yesterday lol. I would go with the Ibanez dude. That's just my two cents...
Um is he asking what amp/effects/settings I use? If so, I already posted EQ but just um.. a pretty nice Mesa/Boogie with super high gain and no effects. AtrumArx, you live in Augusta? Were you by any chance at that thing at Big City Music on Saturday?
i have a jackson and i love it. it's really just preference man. they are both great guitars and you'd probably love having either of them