Right now I have 11s on a les paul and telecaster, I'm wondering if going down a size or two in gauge of string would help me play faster and maybe easier. Sometimes I find it hard playing fast, though this is sometimes due to lack of practicing that part.

Are heavier or lighter string used for playing fast / shredding?
i find heavier strings easier....but that may be just me

its a personal decision try em out and see what you think
Well i have Super Slinkys custom gauge nickel wound strings and i can play pretty dang fast with them.Some people think they suck but i like them.
"VANDALISM: Beautiful As A Rock In A Cop's Face."
Kurt Cobain
If you do a lot of bends, lighter gauges are easier, I find. I played on my freind's guitar with .011s, and I found it very sluggish as my style includes a lot of bends and slides. I played on another guitar that had .009s on and I found the difference incredible. I found the .011s slow, and I am used to .010s, so the .009s felt like butter to me. When I next change strings, I'm going for some .009s.
i think yngwie uses 8's but i also think you give up tone with lighter strings.SRV used 13's need i say more.
If I went from 11 to 10, would I need a set up for the neck? As the strain, relief is changing etc.
Quote by Vermintide
If you do a lot of bends, lighter gauges are easier, I find. I played on my freind's guitar with .011s, and I found it very sluggish as my style includes a lot of bends and slides. I played on another guitar that had .009s on and I found the difference incredible. I found the .011s slow, and I am used to .010s, so the .009s felt like butter to me. When I next change strings, I'm going for some .009s.

thats partially true...SRV was said to use up to 17's or some ridiculous guage like that, and he sure bended a lot...so its all preference

i personally use 10-60 and i find them fine for fast playing

if you want heavier strings then work your way up, start light then move on

Quote by R_H_C_P
You're joking right?

It's like comparing sex to sticking your penis in a blender.

I play faster on heavier strings, i dunno why. U eventually will get faster when moving up to a heavier gauge, most of it depends on the neck and action.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I think that if you took a pole on what gauge most shredders use, I bet about 90% would use 9s or lighter.

I use 9s. I don't really think you sacrifice tone, but I would say it gives you a different tone. SRV detuned his guitar a lot too, so the tension was more like a 11 in standard tuning for him.
what happened to the proposed Kirk Hammett flamenco album?

His acoustic didn't sound good with wah pedal, I suppose.
Quote by Doubleday
I think that if you took a pole on what gauge most shredders use, I bet about 90% would use 9s or lighter.

I use 9s. I don't really think you sacrifice tone, but I would say it gives you a different tone. SRV detuned his guitar a lot too, so the tension was more like a 11 in standard tuning for him.

HAHAHAHA I love your sig.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Still wondering, as I asked before, if I'd need to re-setup my guitar when switching from 11 to 10 or 11 to 9.
Quote by ibanezzer
Still wondering, as I asked before, if I'd need to re-setup my guitar when switching from 11 to 10 or 11 to 9.
It's probably a good idea.
I'd go with the 009's. There's enough tension where they won't break but they won't cut thru ur fingers like 11's. That's my experience and I can play Eruption awesome on 009's.