is it just me or are all my recordings have an annoying hiss in them? is it my mic?

if so, what's a good mic I can buy. If it's not my mic will you shoot me now please?
FIJI
Probably your mic. Get a line in to allow you to plug your guitar/amp to your computer. You'll need a 1/4" to 1/8" converter. It will cost about 5 or 6 bucks at most.
Its probably your mic dude, when I record on audacity it never hisses.
'J'adore ah les femmes', yeah I love my riches, 'bonjour' money and 'au revoir' bitches
Quote by elementskater7s
sm57

thats what u want to get
Member #5 of the I <3 Schecter's Club-PM Schecter-06 to join
"Member of the Guitarists that wished they could sing because they would make fantastic frontmen club"-Pm Davidian to join
u could also try the noise removal effect....
My Gear:
Fender Standard Strat w/Tex-mex pups
Epi Les Paul Jr.
Epi MM-20 mandolin
Yamaha FG-110
Boss SD-1
Boss BD-2
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Digitech RP80
Fender FM212R
Epi Valve Junior

Check Me Out:
Me
mike

audacity is what i use
no it does not suck
Call me Sean
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
He's just trying to protect our innocence.

Yes i am
Quote by :Vicious--

Your flirting powers are incredible.

Gear:
Schecter S1 Elite Black Cherry (Soapbar Neck, Invader Bridge)
Schecter Banshee
Orange Dual Terror
Boss CE-5
Goatkeeper
Audacity Sucks!!

Actually, no.

Quote by bushey37
ya get that, its what the presidents use

awesome.
Co-President of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Liez!
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
ok chill, only kidding about audacity...

anyway an sm57 is good huh?

where can I buy it and how much will it cost?
FIJI
Quote by Archaon
Probably your mic. Get a line in to allow you to plug your guitar/amp to your computer. You'll need a 1/4" to 1/8" converter. It will cost about 5 or 6 bucks at most.

i did that...i also fried my sound card. make sure your careful if you plug your amp straight in.
Musicians Friend, Zzounds, Guitar Center, almost any guitar selling store I guess. Its 89$ But they are are now starting to sell it for 99$ . U might be able to still get one for the original proce off Ebay
"Member of the Guitarists that wished they could sing because they would make fantastic frontmen club"-Pm Davidian to join
I'm probably going to go with the 1/4 to 1/8 converter... how did you fry your sound card? turning your amp up too loud?
FIJI
I don't know what your set-up is or what you plan on recording but everyone screaming praise of the Shure SM57's says wonders on how Shure has taken over the market on Mics.

SM57's are not the worlds only/best mic. The best mic is the mic that is made for your application. If you're wanting to record a nice guitar cabinet, [which I advise against. If you're recording electric guitar, you'll want to get a small 30-15 watt practice amp. They have better tone without having to crank the volume and overpower the mic.] you'll want to get an AKG C 414 B-XL II Cond. Mic. It's got a steep price for a reason. It's the best for recording mic'd amps and vocals. The freq. response on this "bad-boy" is amazingly wide. It's 20Hz-20k. That's plenty. Even a bit more than you'd normally need.

It's got even more features then you'd find on a Shure 57.
-High sensitivity and extremely low noise
-High-sound pressure level capability and wide dynamic range
-5 switchable polar patterns
-Completely immune to electrostatic and electromagnetic interference from digital -gear, computer monitors, etc.
-2-color LEDs provide quick visual monitoring of polar pattern and output overload
-3 switchable bass cut filters and 3 pre-attenuation pads with LEDs
-All switchable components operate in low-impedance circuits
-Elastic capsule suspension greatly minimizes structurally transmitted noise
[Thanks to Musicansfriend.com ;-)]

This mic is built to please, and please it does.

If you want to sound cheap, you can get the cheap 57's that everyone seems to fall to their knees for.

That's my opinion and I'm Shure everyone else will have theirs as people tend to do.

Thanks,
Jonas Stevens
Primary Production Engineer
Boxcar Studios
Great response, that should be placed in every thread that covers the topic of mic's and Shures. But I wouldnt call the sm57's "cheap"
Last edited by Guitaraphone06 at Jun 13, 2006,