in lessons this week with my guitar teacher he introduced me to modes were starting with doing dorian. so basicallydorian is the second note of whatever major scale your going from so if im soloing in the key of E i would use an Fsharp dorian correct?
what is a dorian mode
never heard of it??
2010 Gibson SG Honeyburst
I'm a musician, a composer, and a theory nut. Pleased to meet you! Check out my websites and drop me a line.

"The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude. " ~ Freidrich Nietzche

My Website
Quote by inmysleep
if im soloing in the key of E i would use an Fsharp dorian correct?
You have to be careful how you word that because that isn't really correct. You use E to solo in the key of E. Now, E major and F# Dorian contain the same notes, but they are completely different scales and sounds. They aren't interchangeable.
Quote by Angusman60
what is a dorian mode
never heard of it??

It's one of the seven modes of the major scale.

Ionian
Dorian
Phrygian
Lydian
Mixolydian
Aeolian
Locrian
Quote by bangoodcharlote
You have to be careful how you word that because that isn't really correct. You use E to solo in the key of E. Now, E major and F# Dorian contain the same notes, but they are completely different scales and sounds. They aren't interchangeable.

unless you play F# dorian over an e major chord, then itll sound like E ionian.
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
Quote by Night_Lights
unless you play F# dorian over an e major chord, then itll sound like E ionian.

Uh, no. If it sounds like E ionian then it's E ionian. No argument here.

You may be playing in a position that starts on F# and contains Emajor's notes, but if you're resolving to an Emaj chord, it's E ionian, regardless. If you resolve to an F# over an F#m chord, then yes, you're playing F# dorian.
Looking for my India/Django.