Page 1 of 2
Ok I want a "SRV" Exciter Circuit in my strat. But there is a problem. It doesn't turn into a tone control when turned off. It just turns the unit off. So I am thinking about modding it or finding someone to build a custom circuit. So can someone tell me how I can build an exact SRV circuit and mount it to a push-pull pot? I want to be able to turn off the circuit when not in use and then use it as a tone control. Hopefully this is possible. If not my other choice is to get a push-pull tone pot and the SRV circuit. I can use the push-pull pot to replace the tone control slot that I lost. I would rather find another way to mod or build a new SRV circuit. Because the push-pull pot is audio tapered and that takes away from the actual control of the tone. Linear tapered is as most of us know is better for tone controls. I also don't know if when a push-pull pot switches from up to down does it kill the other position? So can I have one tone setting in down position and then switch to up to set the next tone setting in up position and have both work at the same time? Do push-pull pots kill one position when switched to another basically or can both positions run simultaneously?
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Member #2 of the Coheed and Cambria fanclub, PM dementedpuppy to join.
I don't think it'd be possible.

push pull pots are only a switch+one regular pot in the same item. You'd need a stereo push pull pot which I doubt even exists. Or you could get away with a concentric pot with the top control as a tone control and the other one as the SRV thing at the same time even.

edit:
or you could just go and set up the 3 knobs on a strat as: master volume, master tone and the SRV thing if you don't mind losing the seperate tone controls/adding a tone control to the neck pickup
I can't do concentric because of the knobs I want to use on the strat. The only way that would work is if I have a bottom concentric pot knob and then the bell knobs/top hat knobs that I want on top. But I don't know if that will fit together. I want two tone controls because if I didn't that would kill the whole idea of versatility behind this strat. Do you know of a place that can sell custom potentionmeters or if that knob combination mentioned earlier would work?
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Ok concentric is out of the question completely. I can't seem to find one with a 250k value. I can get a push-pull pot. I'm still a bit confused though. What I want in the push pull pot is this. Lets say it's wired to volume and tone. It's set to volume in the down position. Then when I pull it up to change my tone does the volume control cut off completely? I don't want to edit them both in the same position. I just don't want one to go dead when I switch to the other to edit. If nothing works I will just go with normal strat wiring. I will find a way to add the circuit later. But I really want this to work somehow.

EDIT: Also is parallel and series switching the same as in phase and out of phase switching?
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Last edited by OsirisProtocol at Jun 18, 2006,
I know this might be not your plan, but have you considered making another hole in your pickguard for a switch to switch between SRV control and no SRV control. A sub-miniature DPDT for instance. And If you wanted to keep you t
one control have it as the option on the switch.
In up position = Straight Tone Knob
In Down position = SRV exciter

and to answer your question about series and parallel...

IF you have all you pickups in series you'll get a super HOT sound out of it (i think) whereas in parallel u pick up the nuances of each pickup working together...
i think... someone tell me if im wrong here...
Thanks. I am trying to find a way to make the switch push-pull from tone to SRV but I don't know how. Noone explained to me how I could. I don't mind adding another hole for the pickguard as I am getting a custom one anyway. If you know how can I get a dpdt in up position in straight tone knob and down position in srv exciter? I want to know if it is possible to remove the switch from the circuit and it will still function. Or can someone tell me how I can buil my own circuit to attach to a dpdt switch?
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Last edited by OsirisProtocol at Jun 17, 2006,
I have an idea as regards your mod...

but I don't know how to post up pictures.. I have an imageshack account what do i do?

EDIT: Right It depends on what you want but I have some circuits for you, choose the one that's most appropriate to you and I'll we'll try and mod it to inculde the SRV exciter

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WDUSSS5L1101
http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WDUSSS5L1202
http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WDUSSS5L1204
http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WDUSSS5L1205

That will give us a good starting point...

and if none of these are what you are looking for then have a look at the home page...

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/category/wiringresources/

Now in my opinion if you chose a circuit to suit you and then we could inculde the SRV Exciter into that circuit to have an extremly versatile design...
Last edited by jcwear at Jun 18, 2006,
HAH!
I think I have a plot brewing in my head.
I need to think about it.

Use the switch to change what the pot connects to...
You'd need to buy the circuit board, and then take off the pot, and buy a new pot. And I'll get back on the rest once I have some time to think about it.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
HAH!
I think I have a plot brewing in my head.
I need to think about it.

Use the switch to change what the pot connects to...
You'd need to buy the circuit board, and then take off the pot, and buy a new pot. And I'll get back on the rest once I have some time to think about it.

well with a switch you can only change what 2 of the conacts connect to (unless you get a 3DPT push pull switch which I assume is very hard to find). And IF in the booster thingy one of the terminals goes to ground you can switch the other 2 between the circuit and a capacitor for the tone control

The problem is that the booster is probably going to act up without those 2 terminals of the pot. And if its in series with the guitar signal you'd get something wierd coming out (or nothing at all) so you'd have to rig up the switch to entirely take the thing out of the circuit so you could have a normal tone control....

Fender's Eric Clapton sig strat has a built in active midboost but at the expense of the seperate tone controls so it has a master tone control instead.
Mechanically you are correct.
However, with an electronic switch, it would be VERY easy. I was working on a more concrete idea earlier, I don't really have the time to go over it now, as it's 4am and I need go get on a plane in 12 hours, but reading this might help. Plus it's probably got alot of issues as I'm dead tired.
http://www.geocities.com/thetonegod/switches/switches.html
I've developed a remote switch for my reverb project using the same chips.
If you're willing to get a bit further into it, there's a whole mess of crap you can do.

Hope that helped.

Yeah, but I'd say thats way too much of a hassle to put in a guitar and I'd rather just give up one of my tone controls (if you want it different for each pickup just reach down and change it half a second...)
god those chips looks complicated, give me a dpdt switch anyday...

i recommend taking one of the circuits i have got links to and add the SRV exciter to the input before it gets to tone / volume controls by usuing a dpdt switch... surely thats the easiest solution to keep all the knobs and stuff? Is there any way knowing how many wires go to the SRV thing and which ones they are supposed to be... that's the only possibility i can think of...

Another possibility is that you use one tone control which is a push pull system whereby you pull it and alter neck tone push it and you alter middle pup tone. and get rid of the other tone control for the SRV exciter...

How about that?
Quote by seljer
Yeah, but I'd say thats way too much of a hassle to put in a guitar and I'd rather just give up one of my tone controls (if you want it different for each pickup just reach down and change it half a second...)

IMO that hits the nail on the head, you don't want loads of things inside a guitar, you want things to be small and compact. Adding a few CMOS chips would defeat the point really, not to mention those electrical switches are a royal pain in the ass to work with. I'd always stick to "analogue" DPDT/whatever switches. It's not like you need a clean switching signal (which IMO is what those chips should be used for) in a pedal anyway.

My 2p at least

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details

Yeah, I'm a dumbass. Yeah, that switch has 5 poles. But since you have a power supply handy, maybe you could use a push pull, and a 4pdt relay. I think relays work like that. And if the right terminal on the pot is already grounded, you can ditch a pole. Yeah, I know I'm a dumbass.
These go to eleven...
Relays suck a lot of power, not good for use with batteries. As well as being rather bulky parts.
Thanks alot everyone. I am going through the posts now. I will post again when I am done with all this information.

*Also I will not be using a standard 5-way switch for the strat. I will be using 3 seperate 3-way toggles for the pickups. Based on the super strat wiring.

Edit: Since I am already using mini switches is there a way that I can add another mini switch to act as a killswitch for the SRV to turn it into a tone control?

Edit 2:
jcwear: I don't think any of those combinations would work for me. I still want two tone controls remember. To your other post about push-pulll tone altering. Is there anywhere you can get a linear tapered push-pull pot? Just to clarify when pushed down the position in up is
still active. I mean will the tone alterations stay the same?

Pink Queen: I read through the tutorial you posted and I got lost half way through. It's just to complicated for a guitars wiring as power freak said.

Seljer: The extra tone knob is tacky but cool. lol. I gotta think about that. If I do go that route. That extra knob will be the volume and the others will follow SVR, tone (middle), tone (bridge and neck).

Jim PlaysGuitar: One thing I do know is that relays are power hungry bastards. I think it will just be anoying swaping in batteries all the time.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

I thought it was a damn good idea...
You could always do boss style FET switching...it's more likely to have bleed through though.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen

I thought it was a damn good idea...
You could always do boss style FET switching...it's more likely to have bleed through though.

the Boss style switching would probably be just as much of a pain as the CMOS switching
^More of a pain IMO. The COMS switches are actually pretty easy. And it does what he wants to do...that's why I say go for it!

Anyways, I'm sure it would also work to leave one of the pot lugs hardwired, and toggle the other two between a tone and the boost circuit.
^With a 4pdt mini toggle, that could be done as well as bypassing the SRV circuit. Or would that be too big?
These go to eleven...
Quote by JimPlaysGuitar
^With a 4pdt mini toggle, that could be done as well as bypassing the SRV circuit. Or would that be too big?

well if you brought in another toggle switch into the equation that makes things different

As the booster thingy is allready a push pull so you can turn it off, you'd just have to toggle switch to change the pot into a tone control instead.

Of course there may be another problem: the value or the taper of the potentiometer used in the booster may not be the right one for a tone control.
^Good point there. Forgot about that.
I had the value/taper thing in mind. With the push pull bypass and the tone/SRV switch, theres gonna be a dead spot. Well, will it be dead? With the tone selected, and the SRV not bypassed, the signal will be going into the circuit, minus a pot.
These go to eleven...
Last edited by JimPlaysGuitar at Jun 18, 2006,
Quote by JimPlaysGuitar
I had the value/taper thing in mind. With the push pull bypass and the tone/SRV switch, theres gonna be a dead spot. Well, will it be dead? With the tone selected, and the SRV not bypassed, the signal will be going into the circuit, minus a pot.

ah yeah, forgot about what would happen if you switch to the tone while the SRV was not turned off
^Total death would happen lol.

Well I will send the page to a couple of my electrician friends. Hopefully one of them can makes sense of it. Seeing how this is all going I don't plan to do this mod myself. I will end up paying for the work but it's worth it.

EDIT: My problem is solved well as long as this works. I found a site the sells linear tapered DPDT switches. This is the site. Now I changed up my whole wiring scheme a bit but everything seems to fit. First off I want an audio tapered DPDT switch. This will be master volume in down position and in up position send all pickups out of phase. Would this work considering I am using the superstrat kit? *I don't know if this switching is possible since all coils have their own 3-way switch. Second position will be the linear tapered DPDT switch. In down position it will control the neck and bridge pickups tone control. In up it will control the middle pickups controls. *I am skeptical about this because I don't know how this switch operates. I keep asking this and not getting an answer. If I shape the tone in up position and then switch to down is the shaping for the up position killed or is it still in effect even though I can't change it till I go back up? The last open slot will be used for the SRV circuit. The SRV will be wired to all pickups. Sound good everyone? And I can I please get an answer to my starred(*) questions? Thanks alot for everyones help.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Quote by OsirisProtocol
This will be master volume in down position and in up position send all pickups out of phase. Would this work considering I am using the superstrat kit? *I don't know if this switching is possible since all coils have their own 3-way switch.
No need to do that, that three switch thing has phasing options anyway.
Second position will be the linear tapered DPDT switch. In down position it will control the neck and bridge pickups tone control. In up it will control the middle pickups controls. *I am skeptical about this because I don't know how this switch operates. I keep asking this and not getting an answer. If I shape the tone in up position and then switch to down is the shaping for the up position killed or is it still in effect even though I can't change it till I go back up?
That's possible. If you shape the tone how you want it, it's gonna be the same, either up or down.
The last open slot will be used for the SRV circuit. The SRV will be wired to all pickups. Sound good everyone?
Lookin' good to me.
These go to eleven...
Sweet. Thanks alot. One problem with the first inquiry about the master volume switching to phase and out of phase. I want the 3-way switches for each pickup to be series/off/parallel. And then when the audio pot goes to the up position all pickups go out of phase but can still be switched between series and parallel according to their own 3-way mini switch. This might just cause too much load and just make the wiring complicated but I want to get as versatile as possible.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

You can't run from series to parallel with a single coil? lol A well then I will just go with a normal audio tapered pot and keep the settings for the mini switches to in-phase and out of phase. Thanks alot. I owe you guys.

Edit: I remember seeing a Fender wiring guide saying series and parallel switching. I'll look for it again.

Edit 2: Here we go

Acrobat reader needed.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

yes you can do series and parallel...

In Normal strat wiring i thought that when the pickup selector switch was in positions 2 and 4 out of the possible 5 that the neck and middle were in parallel and the middle and bridge were in parallel respectively... ?
So you want:

- 3 single coil pickups
- Ability to turn each one ON/OFF/Phased
- 2 Tone Controls (neck + middle/bridge)
- 1 Master Volume
- 1 SRV Exciter to be used on the whole lot before it leaves the output

Keep to bullet points its easier for people like me to read

EDIT: I know this link is using 2 HBs but it can get your senses tingling about 21 possible sounds http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WDUHH3T1103

Now to have each single coil on/off use this:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/schematics/individual_on_off_switches.html

BUT: Your pickups will all be in parallell, now if you want to additionally mod it to get series parallel going on you have to encorporate this idea into it...
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/schematics/singlecoil_series_mod.html
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/schematics/S_series_split_parallel.html

But then you also want phase switching so there's this:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/schematics/phase_reversal_singlecoils.html

But I am dead sure there's a way to have on/off/phase for each pickups,
then 2 additional seperate switches for series/parallel between each of the pickups.

Hope that helps you more!

Of course you might end up with 4 pots, 10 switches and a very busy pickguard...
Last edited by jcwear at Jun 19, 2006,
Seems very Brian Mayish to me. I see no point in having more than a master tone, with the three on/off/oop switches it's hard to have independent tone controls. Say you're using bridge and middle, you can't set the tone for the bridge, then pull it and set it for the middle. It's all gonna be the same, up or down. I think a master tone would be best, cause what you want now with the push-pull will basically act as a master anyway.
These go to eleven...
Last edited by JimPlaysGuitar at Jun 19, 2006,
Very nice. Thanks alot jcwear. I went through the diagrams and I drew up my own based on them. It's sloppy but I think it will work. I need a scanner to post it though. The superstrat wiring kit comes with directions for the wiring. I will see how that looks then I will tweak it to include everything I need. Now that I have the parts that I need in mind I just have to worry about wiring it. Here is my sumation.

I want:
- 3 single coil pickups
-* Ability to turn each one with mini switches to series/off/parallel (if not possible then in-phase/off/out of phase)
- 2 Tone Controls (neck + bridge then middle alone)
- 1 Master Volume
- 1 SRV Exciter to be used on the whole lot before it leaves the output (can be turned on and off)

*Note: The superstrat kit didn't talk about turning the pickups from series to parallel. I am still a bit confused about that but it will come in time I guess. A problem with that is the Bare Knuckle pickups I am getting are reverse wound for the middle. I don't know if that will effect something.

JimPlaysGuitar: To DPDT pot for the tone will be a master pot but it will control the neck and bridge in the down position and the middle in the up position. So I will still have room to tweak.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Quote by OsirisProtocol
JimPlaysGuitar: To DPDT pot for the tone will be a master pot but it will control the neck and bridge in the down position and the middle in the up position. So I will still have room to tweak.
As I was trying to say, that's not possible. In whatever position, up or down, it's gonna control all pickups. I don't think theres a way around it. Theres really no point, if you knew how a push-pull pot worked, you'd understand. The switch is completely seperate from the pot, it's not like you can set the tone for the bridge and neck pickups, then pull it up and set it for the middle, that's gonna change the bridge and neck's setup at the same time. It's gonna be a master tone with two positions, both the same... Pointless.
These go to eleven...
oh, that's what i actually thought it did at first- that's why i suggested it at first, that would be my fault!!

Seriously I would just drill another hole so you have 4 knobs and about a kizzilion switches all on the pickguard It will look cool as well as being versatile.

Quote by OsirisProtocol
*Note: The superstrat kit didn't talk about turning the pickups from series to parallel. I am still a bit confused about that but it will come in time I guess. A problem with that is the Bare Knuckle pickups I am getting are reverse wound for the middle. I don't know if that will effect something.

The barenuckle pickups are reverse wound in the middle so that when you select positions 2 and 4 in ordinary start wiring these single coils are in parallel, and because they are reverse wound- they cancel out hum (much in the way a humbucker does! but with the single coil sound)

So don't worry about the reverse polarity, its not a biggy, wires are easily swapped around
Last edited by jcwear at Jun 19, 2006,
It took three days but someone finally answered my dpdt question. Thanks for that JimPlaysGuitar.

Well unless I go into sone crazy circuit modding that Queen suggested I think it has to be master tone. Ehh... that's life. But as for the wiring of the pickups even with the reverse wound middle coil can my idea of series/off/ parallel would work? Then if possible push-pull volume control will change from in phase to out of phase? If thats not possible is it at least possible for me to get the series/off/parallel setting with the mini switches as mentioned earlier?
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

yeah sure it is, series/off/parallell will work more than fine with the middle pickup reverse wound. The phase switching will also work perfectly fine.
You're gonna have to have the three mini toggles as in phase/off/out of phase. Cause to have series/off/parallel with one single coil is impossible, that's for humbuckers. What you can do is have a seperate switch, maybe a push-pull, to have two single coils of your choice, in series. I'll draw a doodlygram with some ideas. Yopu can't use just one dpdt for phase switching for all three pickups, only one. Plus, all pickups out of phase will make no difference in sound, the idea of phasing is that you have one pickup out of phase with another pickup in normal phase.

Edit: I've doodled up idea #1...

- 3 singles with a switch for in phase/off/out of phase each.
- Master Volume
- Master Tone (Pull it up for the abillity to have the Bridge pickup in series with either the Middle or the Neck pickup, or both. Whichever one/s you turn on. But the Bridge pickup HAS to be on for that to work).
- SRV thingie

That's about it for complicated Idea 1.
These go to eleven...
Last edited by JimPlaysGuitar at Jun 20, 2006,
Page 1 of 2