i was thinking of buying my first tube amp(vox ad50vt) and was just wonder how often do u have to relplace tubes ??
Im pretty sure that's not a tube amp. If it has a tube its only one of them, because it may be a emulation amp.
It's a hybrid amp - Solid state pre-amp and a power amp driven by a single preamp valve. Sounds gorgeous mind you, I use a 340 and it's awesome for blues to hard rock!
My Gear:
Vintage Metal Axxe Razer
Shine Orange thing
Westfield Strat Copy
Self Built Mahogany Thing
Collins CD28CENT Electro Acoustic
Vox Valvetronix 30 Watt
Roland Cube 60
EHX Big Muff
Crybaby
Boss MT-2
Jim Dunlop 0.7mm Picks
Its a hybrid amp, not a real tube amp. The tube is in the preamp, not the poweramp, so you wont get tube distortion. Replace it every 3 years or so.
Quote by will1990
i was thinking of buying my first tube amp(vox ad50vt) and was just wonder how often do u have to relplace tubes ??

That's not a tube amp. The VT series use a single 12AX7 (normally a preamp tube) in the first power stage of the solid state power amp to add tube warmth and simulate tube power drive to the tone. The tube certainly has more of an audible effect than in hybrid amps with a tube in the preamp, but it's a digital hybrid amp, not tube.

Depending on use, you could easily have that tube last 5 - 10 years.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Quote by Crunchmeister
That's not a tube amp. The VT series use a single 12AX7 (normally a preamp tube) in the first power stage of the solid state power amp to add tube warmth and simulate tube power drive to the tone. The tube certainly has more of an audible effect than in hybrid amps with a tube in the preamp, but it's a digital hybrid amp, not tube.

Depending on use, you could easily have that tube last 5 - 10 years.

:O

So it is in the power amp...nifty.
Quote by Mascot
It's not in the power amp.

Quote by Crunchmeister
That's not a tube amp. The VT series use a single 12AX7 (normally a preamp tube) in the first power stage of the solid state power amp

Oh nose, im confused.
Quote by adam02
Its in the pre-amp

Actually, if i remember correctly, we found a schematic of it, and it isnt in the preamp, but it before the poweramp.
Quote by adam02
Its in the pre-amp

That's what I just said. . . I did the because Fluffy thought it was in the power amp stage.
Quote by Mascot
That's what I just said. . . I did the because Fluffy thought it was in the power amp stage.

Quote by Crunchmeister
That's not a tube amp. The VT series use a single 12AX7 (normally a preamp tube) in the first power stage of the solid state power amp

So hmm...
Quote by adam02
Its in the pre-amp

No it isn't. Technically, it sits between the solid state pre and power amps. But it interacts as an external first stage for the power amp. When you adjust that knob at the back of the amp to select output wattage of the amp, you're actually not selecting how much juice the solid state power amp puts out, but how much drive and power this 'tube reactor' stage allows thru. So technically, it's tied closer to the power amp operation than it is the preamp. The preamp is 100% digital. It's not even solid state in the 'traditional' definition of it.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

It doesn't matter where it is, its still a solid state amp. Hybrid amps are solid-state amps IMO
Quote by greenbox
Actually, I assumed it was in the preamp, but according to their website, yeah, it's technically in the power section.

http://www.voxamps.co.uk/products/valvetronix/vtoverview_inside_story.htm

Thank you. I searched (briefly) for something like that on the Vox site but couldn't find it.

Quote by Gutch220
It doesn't matter where it is, its still a solid state amp. Hybrid amps are solid-state amps IMO

I kind of agree. Most hybrid amps are nothing but a gimmick to make you pay more for it, and you don't get any benefit from having the tube. In the Vox VT, you can actually hear the effect of the tube. A little 12AX7 preamp tube and a solid state power amp will never get you the tone of a real ELx4 / 6L6-powered tube amp, but the tube does add that little extra to the tone that you don't get with straight solid state.

But you're right. It's still not tube, and doesn't have that tube quality in the sound.

Last edited by Crunchmeister at Jun 14, 2006,