so yeah i'm researching as much as i can to build a guitar, and what has me baffled is this pickup wiring diagram (attached). What does it mean by grounding? grounding it wouldn't that require the Earth? i didn't understand, so i opened up that back of my guitar, which has a similar set up. It had wires soldered onto the back of the pots, now wtf is that for? is that the grounding? if not how do you ground something that doesn't touch the ground????

EDIT the grounding is the three lines, the site i got it from is http://www.1728.com/guitar.htm
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Gou attach the grounds to the back of the pots, and then take a line from that onto the ground of the jack socket (not the bit that sticks out the back, the other bit). This then grounds through the amp's ground.
My Gear:
Vintage Metal Axxe Razer
Shine Orange thing
Westfield Strat Copy
Self Built Mahogany Thing
Collins CD28CENT Electro Acoustic
Vox Valvetronix 30 Watt
Roland Cube 60
EHX Big Muff
Crybaby
Boss MT-2
Jim Dunlop 0.7mm Picks
wait what part of the jack? can you circle it on a pic? or at least describe it, so couldn't it essentially be grounded directly to the jack? does is have to make contact with a pot?
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
grounding is an electronic techinque used in guitars to cancell out some unwanted hum. Grounding just takes the Ground wire (usually green) and attaches it to a piece of metal that is not in the "hot" wiring section thingy. The wires soldered to the back of the pots is grounding. That is what you need to do when you ground your wires. Solder them to the pots.
My Gear:
Gibson SG special (W/ S.D. Jazz(N) & JB (B))
Mesa-Boogie Solo Triple Rec. (with EL-34's)
Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
Boss TU-2 Chromatic tuner
(what else do i need)

Where i work:
www.beanstalkmusic.com
k dude but is that all? just solder the mofos to the back of the pots? that it right? Do i have to do the jack thingy as well? and i'm gonna assume only one grounding per pot, kuz if not that would be dum (short circuit kaboom)

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
there's also a "ground" on the jack... which you also send to the back of one of the pots... then you send the whole thing out to your trem cavity in back, and solder it to the hook that your trem springs are attatched too....
wait what if you don't have a trem? what you mean a ground on the jack? meaning the jack has to be grounded? i have a normal stop tailpiece with tune-o-matic bridge on my current guitar, so i was working around that, at least until i start building

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
You ground the pickups, bridge etc. by soldering the correct wires to the back of a pot (same pot). A wire is then taken from the back of that pot to the jack. You see how on your jack it has two sections? One is the hot, the other is the ground.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
solder a wire to each pot, take one to the negative pin of the jack, and another to a part of the bridge (usually theres a hole routed out that a wire runs through)
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.