Page 1 of 2
I've been playing for about 2 years now and I've hit a wall in how fast i can pick (8 nps ) and i think it is because of how i hold my pick.

i hold i tbetween the TIPS of my thumb and my finger and i want to know if this is correct. or if there is a more correct way to do it.

i also want to know if its okay to have my arm resting on the guitar body slightly. and no i do not anchor my pinky

thx in advance
i cant really help, but to cheer you up, i can only pick 6.6 nps lol. (ive been playing 2 years now as well.)
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
How can you find out how many notes per second you can play?
That might be a totally n00bish question but oh well.
Quote by hammetttoheafy
How can you find out how many notes per second you can play?
That might be a totally n00bish question but oh well.

if you have a metronome, it goes by beats per minute (bpm) and all you have to do is see how many beats per minute you can get by the metronome and divide that by 60.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
well you take ur bpm (beats per minute) and u take what kind of notes u are playing (quarter notes eighth notes etc.)

so u divide ur bpm by 60
then multiply by how many notes per beat u were doing

so if u were doing 240 bpm eighth notes, thats 8 nps
^ u sure about ur math there?...if ur doin 8 notes per beat at 240 bpms thats like 32 nps!!...i think u mite've made a lil mistake there

EDIT: unless you mean ur counting 4 beats per bar and 8 notes per bar...then it works
I've Got a Green Tinted Sixties Mind

?Mike
^ 8th notes are generally two notes per beat... not 1/8th of a beat...
Quote by les_kris
Corwinoid is God
I'm not even God-like... I've officially usurped the Almighty's throne.
Click here to worship me.

Member #3 of the Corwinoid Fan Club
Aye.

So, it should be. . .

60 bpm - 16th notes = 4 nps
120 bpm - 16th notes = 8 nps
etc.
Ah ok cool, thanks. When I pick all notes I can do like 10 nps sorta clean. Been playing for about a year and a half.
Oh wait I just realized that I could just play one note. I was playing multiple notes when I got that lol. I can do about 12.5 nps picking one note continously
Quote by Afi_rocker_91
my brother plays 16th notes at 173 bpm and triplets at 193 bpm. is that pretty good?
16ths at 173 are faster, but that's not bad. He should be able to get faster.
yeah, he's been working at it intensly for a few days seeing how much his speed can increase in a month. i think he said that from yesterday to today, he increased 3 bpm.

also, can you get a metronome that goes faster than 208 bpm?
Quote by thelastdeath
ya the one on my gnx 3 goes 240
Yeah, it's upsetting when you see that and know that people can actually do 16th notes at that tempo.

DAMN YOU JOHN PETRUCCI!

Quote by Afi_rocker_91
yeah, he's been working at it intensly for a few days seeing how much his speed can increase in a month. i think he said that from yesterday to today, he increased 3 bpm.

also, can you get a metronome that goes faster than 208 bpm?
Get an online metronome, or use a metronome in powertab or guitar pro.

Quote by hammetttoheafy
Get guitar pro or powertab. Their's goes over 400.

Powertab's goes up to 300, but you can say that a dotten half note equals 300. That equivilant to quarter note equals 900.

Wow.
Quote by thelastdeath
I've been playing for about 2 years now and I've hit a wall in how fast i can pick (8 nps ) and i think it is because of how i hold my pick.

i hold i tbetween the TIPS of my thumb and my finger and i want to know if this is correct. or if there is a more correct way to do it.

i also want to know if its okay to have my arm resting on the guitar body slightly. and no i do not anchor my pinky

thx in advance

Try differeny grips and see which one is most comfortable, then angle your pick slightly also.
i rest the palm of my hand on the bridge of my guitar and my arm SLIGHTLY rests on the body of the guitar. sometimes i anchor my pinkie. but anchoring is not a bad thing. Dave Mustaine said that he anchors his pinkie on the pickup of the guitar or under the strings, and it allows the muscle memory in his hand to tell him how far it is from string to string. he said it allows him to switch strings faster when playing.

as said above, just grip the pick differently until you find something comfortable.

~timepheonix.
what really help me get faster was to learn how to control my picking hand. I learned that by increasing the amount of focus on my picking hand, I was able to learn just how much I wasn't concentrating on it previously.

Basically, you need to learn the smallest amount of movement possible to get the same effect. Once you find that out at a slower speed, its all about learning to have that amount of control at higher speed.
Download Weird Metronome. you can set it to whatever tempo you like ! even 1000 if you want!
but anchoring is not a bad thing. Dave Mustaine said that he anchors his pinkie on the pickup of the guitar or under the strings, and it allows the muscle memory in his hand to tell him how far it is from string to string. he said it allows him to switch strings faster when playing.

Do not be a fool. Dave Mustaine isn't someone you would want to learn technique from.

Anyways there is a lot of little factors in picking. With using the tip of your thumb, you lose a lot of stability and surface area that could otherwise be put to use by absorbing the general "shock" of picking a string. Picking angle also makes a difference. The more slanted it is the easier it is to pick but more dull sounding, if its more rigid and straight you'll have more trouble, but a sharper sounding attack etc.

Here is a large indepth article on picking. http://www.tuckandpatti.com/pick-finger_tech.html

Very useful, knock yourself out.
I think ultimately Anchoring slows you fown but you can pick fast with it. just faster without. But i do think there is some merit in the accuracy of string skipping when anchoring.
ok i just tried the picking speed thing for the first time and i can do 16th notes at 270 bpm which equals 18nps?

i have been plaing about 3 and a half years - good or bad?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=339913

Read that. Every possible thing you could and would want to know about anchoring/un-anchoring. Any further questions or responses can go there.

On a side note any anchorer would die attempting to play this lick at shawns speed.

Edit --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOZOzUVBhUI&search=shawn%20lane better link that just shows the picking part.
Last edited by Erc at Jun 14, 2006,
^ Your ignorance shows.

edit --> Since I am feeling every so helpful today...

John Petrucci, a la dream theatre, is a superconsistent 14nps guy. I have my doubts that the lick previously quoted here was accurately tabbed, but he deserves a mention for being extremely consistent and even. (and fast, obviously)

Shawn Lane has definitely alternate picked his trademark diminished string skips at 18nps ? but also possibly a lot faster. It remains up to debate whether the groupings of nine on that lick are even, exact, on the beat nines, but I?d rather reserve judgement. Either 180bpm sextuplets, or 180bpm 9s (27nps). Take your pick based on your ears. Check out this video on youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOZO...ane%20technique and this transcription - http://rapidshare.de/files/21593487/Shawn_Lane.ptb.html

From the fastest guitarist thread.
Last edited by Erc at Jun 14, 2006,
Quote by KurrptSenate
any recordings of you going that fast?

if that was to me i dont have anything to record with and im not the kinda asshole to make stuff up like that i was just wonderin if thats a good speed for 3 and a half years?
Quote by nofxnofxnofx
if that was to me i dont have anything to record with and im not the kinda asshole to make stuff up like that i was just wonderin if thats a good speed for 3 and a half years?

if it was clean and accurate, sure. The real question is if someone would agree with your assessment of it. I was just curious, because I'm no where near 270
Quote by KurrptSenate
if it was clean and accurate, sure. The real question is if someone would agree with your assessment of it. I was just curious, because I'm no where near 270

well what i did was made a guitar pro file and gradually increased until the metronome couldnt go faster playing 8th notes at 400, so i changed it to 16ths at 200 and got up to 270 before my arm started to hurt.

i checked plenty of times tho and even though its quite hard to hear at that speed im pretty sure that its clean and correct.

like i said im not the kinda person to cheat at that sorta stuff especially where its for my own knowledge
Quote by nofxnofxnofx

Depends what you're playing. Sloppy trem picking, no, clean trem picking, slightly better, purely clean legato, great, purely clean picking moving across strings, incredible.

And terrible if you're tesning up.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
yeah but are you just doing tremolo picking or across all of the strings? when i do it i go across all of the strings.

~timepheonix

edit: that was to nofxnofxnofx
Page 1 of 2