Page 1 of 2
how many nps can u play??
i can play 8.3 i think but i dunno if thats good or not
schecter c1 plus (duh)
seagul mini jumbo

soad....
I think both of you are full of ****. For one, how do you come up with 8.3 notes per second? 12 notes per second and you pick "VERY SLOW"? Yea, I don't think so.
Quote by myvaliantleap
I think both of you are full of ****. For one, how do you come up with 8.3 notes per second? 12 notes per second and you pick "VERY SLOW"? Yea, I don't think so.

There's something called alternate picking.
Jackson SLSMG Soloist (JB/Jazz)
Roland Micro Cube

Member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join.
6-8...22nd fret high e string

i could get more if i practiced, ive never tried to play as fast as i can lol
Behringer V-tone GM108
Epiphone SG
I hate these threads cause in all honesty, it doesn't matter if you can pick 40 nps if its not picked clean. On that note I admit that I lack in the speed department sometimes.
Rockybo on Gwar: "What costumes? They're from fucking outer-space, you retard."
Quote by PunishedOne
There's something called alternate picking.

Yes, but we are talking about one (1) second here. And when he says "nps" I don't think of someone sitting there and tremelo picking. I'm thinking of running through a scale. So, maybe they can, but I doubt it. And I would like to know how he got 8.3 nps.

Quote by that1l)ude
he derived 8.3 from his npm. and dont be so cocky 12nps is fast.

I was meaning that it was fast. I didn't know why he was saying he picked VERY SLOW.
What does it matter. It's only how fast you're right hand is moving. If you're left hand can't keep up, it means absolutly nothing, you can just trem pick fast. (switch the left and right around if you're left handed.)
^^this girl's pissed she can't pick fast (edited due to reply )

if i tremolo pick, i can do about 20
Quote by Duane_Allman
Your gayer than me, and thats pretty gay.
Quote by Twist of fate
If there's blood on the field, play ball.
[center]
The
e|--3---0---0--|
B|--0---1---0--|
G|--0---2---1--|
D|--0---2---2--|
A|--2---0---2--|
E|--3---x---0--|
You just lost.[/CENTER]
Last edited by *kill'emall* at Jun 13, 2006,
like I care, but how the hell do you guys count how many notes you've per second??
Dream Gear:

Fender Jaguar 62'/Gibson ES-335/Fender Nashville Telecaster
Fender Blues Junior/Fender '59 Bassman
Snarling Dogs Blues Bawls/Andy Effect Classic Overdrive/Boss TU-2

I think I can get around 10 or so, but I play bass, and I don't play a guitar too often. Before you call bullsh*t, I have played along to a metronome when I was picking a guitar.
“There’s only two ways to sum up music; either it’s good or it’s bad. If it’s good you don’t mess about it, you just enjoy it.” - Louie Armstrong
Quote by *kill'emall*
^^this guy's pissed he can't pick fast

if i tremolo pick, i can do about 20

If that was to me, im a girl.
i was talking to punished one and my valiant leap about being cocky. picking one note i can pick about 13nps but it doesnt matter because alternate picking one note that fast doesnt help much
how do you measure it?
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
Quote by Hibasaki
like I care, but how the hell do you guys count how many notes you've per second??

record yourself picking fast, slow down the playback, count
Quote by Duane_Allman
Quote by Twist of fate
[center]
The
e|--3---0---0--|
B|--0---1---0--|
G|--0---2---1--|
D|--0---2---2--|
A|--2---0---2--|
E|--3---x---0--|
You just lost.[/CENTER]
wtf is this thread??? "ooh im gonna lie and show off to UG and try to look cool" nobody here gives a **** how many nps you can do
Quote by mw7
how do you measure it?

whenever I am playing bass or guitar and I am trying to measue I play along to a metronome and subdivide in my head.
“There’s only two ways to sum up music; either it’s good or it’s bad. If it’s good you don’t mess about it, you just enjoy it.” - Louie Armstrong
^^lespaulsson also can't play fast
Quote by Duane_Allman
Quote by Twist of fate
[center]
The
e|--3---0---0--|
B|--0---1---0--|
G|--0---2---1--|
D|--0---2---2--|
A|--2---0---2--|
E|--3---x---0--|
You just lost.[/CENTER]
Quote by that1l)ude
i was talking to punished one and my valiant leap about being cocky. picking one note i can pick about 13nps but it doesnt matter because alternate picking one note that fast doesnt help much

Hell I'm not cocky. I can't pick very fast. Again, I was envisioning them running through scales at 12 notes a second. I would be hard pressed to find someone who can do that. Maybe I just under estimated. No hard feelings guys.
Quote by Hibasaki

use a metronome and see how many bpm you can play at then divide it by 60

and to the guy who said 12 nps is slow ive only been playing for 9 months so dont be a jack ass
schecter c1 plus (duh)
seagul mini jumbo

soad....
I once glued 4 jazz picks to a grinder bit in a battery operated drill, it was hella fast but I didnt record the actual nps
Quote by CustomCustom
I once glued 4 jazz picks to a grinder bit in a battery operated drill, it was hella fast but I didnt record the actual nps

haha, get bored often?
Quote by myvaliantleap
Yes, but we are talking about one (1) second here. And when he says "nps" I don't think of someone sitting there and tremelo picking. I'm thinking of running through a scale. So, maybe they can, but I doubt it. And I would like to know how he got 8.3 nps.

8.3 nps actually isn't incredibly fast at all.

To calculate nps, you need a metronome playing to a certain tempo (lets say 120 bpm). lets say you're playing 16th notes (4 notes every beat). To find the nps, the formula is BPM/60 * # of notes per beat. so we'd have 120/60 * 4. which figures out to 8. so you'd be playing 8 nps.

next time, try not being ignorant.
If I just tremolo pick the same note I get to about 10-11nps. If I am doin chromatics its about 6-7nps.
I can get up to 7-8, thats decent right?
#12 of the "Ibanez SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4life SZ! to join!
The most i've done is sweep picked 19 notes per second, although it was sloppy.
Clean, I managed to pull off 15.
Quote by priest.fan.
8.3 nps actually isn't incredibly fast at all.

To calculate nps, you need a metronome playing to a certain tempo (lets say 120 bpm). lets say you're playing 16th notes (4 notes every beat). To find the nps, the formula is BPM/60 * # of notes per beat. so we'd have 120/60 * 4. which figures out to 8. so you'd be playing 8 nps.

next time, try not being ignorant.

How about next time you try not being such an arrogant smarta$$. The guy simply wanted to know how somebody got a decimal number as their NPS -- an incomplete note is not a note, so it doesn't count. You seem to have a real bad habit of needlessly insulting other forum members.

American Stratocaster + Blues Junior

this is probably stupid, but whats the difference between alternate picking and tremolo picking?
"All Randy ever wanted to do was play the guitar."

Quote by Xenn99
Or...were you playing Fallout Boy? Because then it's obvious what happened. Your Low E String committed suicide.

"I don't fucking eat donuts"
Are these people actually playing 8(for instance) notes per second? or just tremolo picking on one string?
Apart from trem picking, I've done a bit over 12 with 5 string sweeps mixed in with a bit of legato. But rly it doesn't rly make you a better player or anything, its just how fast you are.
Ibanez Prestige RG1570 ftw!
Page 1 of 2