Before i took my guitar in, i called and asked how much it'd cost to get a bridge/nut replaced. the dood told me $12 in labor and whatever parts costs. But when i went in, i told them i wanted it set up and to replace the bridge/nut if needed with bone. I just got a phone call saying that it costs $100 in labor and $9 in parts. does this sound right to anyone? What exactly is a set up? i thought a set up was just adjusting the action, which is what they should do anyways if they are replacing the bridge/nut. Any advise would be great since i'm a poor college student

btw it's a takamine a/e
I'd say they kinda ripped you off there man. Setup can also include fixing the intanation (although its an acoustic, so that isn't adjustable), so they spent about 2 or 3 hours adjusting your truss rod and putting a new bridge in. That I doubt, unless they had to like unglue the entire saddle and replace that, but then the parts wouldn't be $9. Some places charge like $50/hour (canadian) for a tech to work on stuff. I have several friends that do this sort of thing for me.

Advice: I'm not really sure, go in and ask exactly what they did, how much they charge an hour, and get them to explain why it took so long for a seemingly simple job. Good luck, give us some follow up if you can
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour
thanx for the reply. i really appreciate it. Last time i brought my other cheaper guitar in to get the bridge replaced with bone and it cost somewhere between $25-$33, i can't remember exactly, but that was at a different place. so i'm pretty shocked that a "set-up" and possibly a nut replacement would quadruple the price at this other place....i'll def ask them what they all did to it. if i would have known that it costs 100 to bring it to top notch, i would have just spent 300 instead of 200 on a tak a/e.

btw. this is USD..what's the exchange rate with canadian?
That sounds like a rip off to me even more now. What was the store called?

As for the currecny thing, try here: http://www.xe.com/ucc/

1.00 CAD Canada Dollars = 0.899113 USD United States Dollars
And Eternity in an hour
$100 worth of labor sounds a bit pricey.... but it really depends on what they are charging you per hour.
i just relistened to my voice mail and he said it costs "$100 in labor and $8 plus tax and parts" i hope he means it's 108 plus tax and not $100 in labor, plus parts plus $8 whatever charge...

i'll have time to pick up the guitar tomorrow. BTW i'm in southern california and i'll post the name of the place after i get my guitar, i don't want any retaliation marks on it..
alrite, i just got it and this is what it lists:
Complete setup $50:
Level Recrown + buff frets, lube +buff fingerboard, adj neck

Bone saddle + nut regular price 65 discount 15 for all work.
= $100 Labor
$4.00 Bone saddle blank
$4.00 Bone nut blank

i thought that the saddle was the wooden part that is glued onto the guitar and has a slot for the bridge, which is the bone/plastic piece? shouldn't a guitar repair-dude know the difference between a bridge and saddle, especially since he's been doing this for 10s of years?
Quote by snobdrblinkchik
i thought that the saddle was the wooden part that is glued onto the guitar and has a slot for the bridge, which is the bone/plastic piece? shouldn't a guitar repair-dude know the difference between a bridge and saddle, especially since he's been doing this for 10s of years?

From the FAQ

(Invalid img)
Quote by snobdrblinkchik
Complete setup $50:

= $100 Labor
$4.00 Bone saddle blank
$4.00 Bone nut blank

If that is what they did then you got a good deal. What they have listed as a "complete setup" is what most luthiers call a fret dressing and they typically cost around $80. And to get the Nut replaced is usualy around $40 and the saddle is around $30 so you could have spent $150 easy.
Not taking any online orders.
actually after seeing it and playing it, i am VERY satisfied and dont really care that much about the price..
i've always called the saddle the bridge cuz that's what my stupid old HS teacher taught us..lol...
Good to hear! Thanks for the update All is well in the universe...

I've always thought that guitar techs get paid way too much. I mean 50-60 or more $$ an hour?
And Eternity in an hour
Quote by snobdrblinkchik
Complete setup $50:

= $100 Labor
$4.00 Bone saddle blank
$4.00 Bone nut blank

Like CorduroyEW said, that's a great deal. Especially because you got a full fretjob --that alone can cost up to $100.

American Stratocaster + Blues Junior

My guitar teacher who is also a luthier does this job (replacement of saddle) for $ 45 dollars and a setup for $25, You might have gotten screwed.