Page 1 of 2
Well that sounds a little bit desperate, if you're looking at the title but I'm just new here and I don't know if there's a typical thread for this question, but I'm searching for a new guitar.
What I have now is a normal Stratocaster, only, it's of some B-brand called Volcano that nobody knows and, well, sometimes I want it to have another, better sound. My amp is a Line 6 Spider II 15, if you wanna know that.

What I mostly play are punkrock songs (Offspring, Greenday, Social Distortion etc), and heavy,power metal, bands like Iron Maiden, Hammerfall, Sonata Arctica and all these other bands that are in that direction.
And even sometimes some Joe Satriani tunes.

So, I read some reviews of my amp here on this site in the reviews section and found that in all the reviews, people are very happy with it and so I came to the conclusion that it's my guitars foult, not of the amp.

So, after this dreadful long story (sorry for that) can somebody tell me a great guitar, which I can get a good metal/rock sound out of it in combination with my amp and the styles that I play. And offcourse is'nt really expensive, think aboves 400 euro.

Thanks very much !

Flen
No, it's your amp.

Hate to say it, bud, but reviews are almost ALWAYS positive, even for bad products.
I would try some ESPs I payed 230USD for mine (it's only an f-50) but it's still a really good metal guitar..

If you aren't sure if it's your amp or guitar why not try playing some different guitars through your amp and see if it sounds better to you?
Why don't you go look at Guitard Center???

I think you need a new amp too. Line 6 stuff BLOWS. Go tube dude. If you like metal, get a metal guitar. Ibanez is good for cheap metal guitars. Ditch that ****.

Last edited by infragreen at Jun 14, 2006,
400EUR isn't much. If you want a fat hard rock sound get humbuckers. Epiphone, LTD or Jackson? For amp you should try a used tube amp. Peavey Valveking, a Laney?
Heey thanx for all the replies and stuff... I think it will be useful

Thanx very much!

Flen
Quote by infragreen
Why don't you go look at Guitard Center???

I think you need a new amp too. Line 6 stuff BLOWS. Go tube dude. If you like metal, get a metal guitar. Ibanez is good for cheap metal guitars. Ditch that ****.

You have to be the most idiotic and uninformed person I know.
First off, I own a line 6 flextone, and I dunno about the spyders but that thing blows my friends vox off the map.
Secondly about the guitar, shut up, most guitars don't say "metal guitar" on them, so you weren't any help at all.
Now to answer the kids question.
For punk rock a p90 pickup would be your best bet, a p90 looks like this or a humbucker sized pickup with a cap and a row of metal dots goind down the muddle (as opposed to a humbucker with a cap with screws going down the top or bottom)
The p90s are good for punk because they provided a nice punchy tone.
If you want a metal guitar you want an ibanez, schecter, jackson, or flying V shaped guitar most of those are designed for metal.
As with anything in the world, the more you pay, the better the quality.
Quote by Schecter1277

Not really. Look at Gibson's quality control.
Jackson SLSMG Soloist (JB/Jazz)
Roland Micro Cube

Member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join.
Quote by Danno13
Hate to say it, bud, but reviews are almost ALWAYS positive, even for bad products.

I find it hard to take reviews of beginner gear seriously. You have to consider the source of the review. When some 15-year-old kid gets his new Squier Strat, MT-2, and Line 6 Spider, OF COURSE he's going to love it. That's the best gear this guy has ever played, so of course he's gonna get online and give the product a raving review (often, only minutes after getting the said gear). It's not to put down noobs or anything, but seriously, they have no experience and nothing to compare their stuff to, therefore wouldn't know what to look for in a piece of gear. We've all been there at some point...
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Quote by Schecter1277
You have to be the most idiotic and uninformed person I know.
First off, I own a line 6 flextone, and I dunno about the spyders but that thing blows my friends vox off the map.
Secondly about the guitar, shut up, most guitars don't say "metal guitar" on them, so you weren't any help at all.
Now to answer the kids question.
For punk rock a p90 pickup would be your best bet, a p90 looks like this or a humbucker sized pickup with a cap and a row of metal dots goind down the muddle (as opposed to a humbucker with a cap with screws going down the top or bottom)
The p90s are good for punk because they provided a nice punchy tone.
If you want a metal guitar you want an ibanez, schecter, jackson, or flying V shaped guitar most of those are designed for metal.

i agree mostly with this guy. (except for the flextone being better than a vox part, but its all personal preference ). anywhoo yeah. noodles from the offsrping uses ibanez and ibanez is also good for metal so i think you should get a nice ibanez and eventually a nice amp like a roland cube or vox valvetronix if your on a budget or a nice tube amp like a fender(godlike, but buy a boss overdrive/distortion pedal to get your metal sounds out of it.
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
an ibanez would be a good choice

but you gotta replace that spider. there wil only be a small difference in sound through one of those things with a new guitar. replace the amp first, then get a new guitar
Gear:
PRS Custom SE
Shit Strat
line6 spider II 112 (worst choice of my life)
Squier 10 watt (sounds better than the spider)
Digitech rp200
Rocktron Silver Dragon

Quote by FretboardToAsh
he's right, and he plays prs so that's proof.
Quote by red star
i agree mostly with this guy. (except for the flextone being better than a vox part, but its all personal preference ). anywhoo yeah. noodles from the offsrping uses ibanez and ibanez is also good for metal so i think you should get a nice ibanez and eventually a nice amp like a roland cube or vox valvetronix if your on a budget or a nice tube amp like a fender(godlike, but buy a boss overdrive/distortion pedal to get your metal sounds out of it.

Flextone has more features and cab modeling, vox does some things better, but flextone is the better all round tone finder.

I wouldn't go with a fender, for a SS they suck I had one, no tone and it blew out on me to boot. Also the more you turn it up the worse it gets.
If I was gonna get an amp I would go with a crate or line 6(if they did the flextone nice the spyders got to be worth something)

Which Vox are you talking about here? The AC-30?? They make tube, solid state and digital. If your buddy has a tube amp, then you are most certainly TONE DEAF.

Guitars don't say METAL or PUNK on them?? Oh crap, thats news to me!!
What I said was Ibanez makes A LOT of guitars geared toward that style. I'm sure this guy can pick and choose all by himself.

Line 6 SUCKS BALLS. All digital modeling stuff SUCKS!! From software to stacks to practice amps, they are ALL extremely SAD IMITATIONS of a tube amp. Yes, you plug into them and they sound pristine at first, but try really beating on your guitar. LITTLE OR NO DYNAMICS. THE FEEL IS TOTALLY NOT THERE!! A good tube amp will respond to how hard or soft you pick. Solid-state or digital WILL NOT. I compare solid-state and digital versus tube to electronic drums and acoustic. You want the real thing or do you want a sad imitation?? Grow up dude. I gave a simple answer, and I say if this kid wants to play electric guitar properly, he needs a good tube amp first. Modeling amps are TUPPERWARE!!!!

Just goto a good guitar shop and ask to try some guitars out. Everyone has their own preference, feel and style. But the best I could think of would be to buy a branded guitar, like Gibson, Ibanez ect. Might be expensive but trust me, it takes money to make money, and the known brands are alot better than any strat you could ever find. I guess when looking around, test the feel of the guitar, and what I like to do, is make sure the volume, and tones are out of the way of your right hand, most strats have the volume control to close to the strings, which is a pain in the ass. And also guitars with inlays on the fret board are helpful and stylish. Just test some out and find what suits your style.
Quote by infragreen
Which Vox are you talking about here? The AC-30?? They make tube, solid state and digital. If your buddy has a tube amp, then you are most certainly TONE DEAF.

What I said was Ibanez makes A LOT of guitars geared toward that style. I'm sure this guy can pick and choose all by himself.

Line 6 SUCKS BALLS. All digital modeling stuff SUCKS!! From software to stacks to practice amps, they are ALL extremely SAD IMITATIONS of a tube amp. Yes, you plug into them and they sound pristine at first, but try really beating on your guitar. LITTLE OR NO DYNAMICS. THE FEEL IS TOTALLY NOT THERE!! A good tube amp will respond to how hard or soft you pick. Solid-state or digital WILL NOT. I compare solid-state and digital versus tube to electronic drums and acoustic. You want the real thing or do you want a sad imitation?? Grow up dude. I gave a simple answer, and I say if this kid wants to play electric guitar properly, he needs a good tube amp first. Modeling amps are TUPPERWARE!!!!

That is the most closed minded thing i have heard. As with all gear selection, it is all very subjective You may love tube, but then someone like me, will prefer hybrid, different people want different sounds so they should buy what sounds good to them not what sounds good to some tube snob.

and as for that picture, it's just sad that you took the time to create it.

To the threastarter. I suggest (^wow, you see the objectiveness there^) that you first of all play some other guitars through your amp, not $1200 guitars because they are always going to sound better. So try to find a guitar at the same level as yours (squier or similar) and also some slightly higher and play those. Although as i just said, seeing as it's a cheap starter guitar, unless you're very lucky it's not going to sound as good as it would if it wer a higher spec guitar. If you find that the tone is all lacking similarly in the guitars, then it is probably your amp. If so, go out and get a new one. Don't necessarily go straight to the tube section because everyone on here is saying that tubes rule. Play all kinds of amps you can find. And then from them chose the sound that you like best. If you find that some of the guitars you try and play through your amp sound better then it will be your guitar. In this case, as before go to your local guitar shop and just play. I suggest that you look at Ibanez, and ideally something like the RG370DX, with the HSH configuration, that way your are still getting a lot of versatility.

hope this helps, and remember, play lots of stuff then chose the sound the YOU like best.
Quote by infragreen

I did a search on Musicans friends for "metal guitars", and nothing came up, then I searched for "punk guitars", and nothing came up. So, I think it's safe to say that guitars still aren't labeled as metal or punk. And if he knew which were which, I don't think he would make a thread asking which guitars can play metal and punk.
Yes, I was comparing the SS vox to the Line 6 flextone, and line 6 pulled off a better sounding SS sound than Vox.
Comparing SS to tube is like comparing apples to oranges, you can't say "well a tube does this, can a SS do that?" No, but with a SS you aren't stuck with one sound, I can make my guitar have several different tones without having to buy a new amp everytime I want to have a different sound. Modeling amps may be tupperware, but tupperware does keep things fresh doesnt it?

EDIT: and to the starter, I suggest you find your guitar in the store(or take it with you) and try it on different one's. Then if you decide it still sounds bad, take your amp and try different guitar. That's what I did. When I go to GC I hog the Flextone setup they have.
Last edited by Schecter1277 at Jun 14, 2006,
I made that pic a year ago, and it took all of 10 minutes to make. Yes I'm a tube snob, but I'm just trying to guide the lad down the right path. If he buy's junk, he may not keep playing, if he buys something decent he'll keep at it.

I am not being closed-minded OR subjective. I'm stating a FACT.
Digital and solid state DO NOT and probably WILL NEVER have the DYNAMICS that tubes have. Say it with me you hacks. DYNAMICS. Now spell it D-Y-N-A-M-I-C-S. Its not a matter of being a "tube snob". I've owned 2 solid state amps and a digital effects unit that didn't last long years ago, and I regret that I wasted one dime on them. They sounded great in the store at first, but soon afterward I just felt like something was missing, and it made me NOT WANT TO PLAY. I went tube, and I've never gone back. It FEELS like so much more and extension of my guitar and hands and brain. Behind the physics of digital/solidstate versus tube lies a very real reason for this.

Don't listen to any of these bedroom hacks, Flen. Get a tube amp. And don't take my word for it. 99.9% of pro-players from studio to stage use TUBES!! The sooner you get assimilated to a tube feel, the better off you'll be.

There's a ton of guitars suited to metal and punk. Go to music stores, ask the salesguys, and start jammin til you find what FEELS right. And make sure you plug into a TUBE amp.
Hey "TheSumofTwo" and "Schecter1277"!! How would you guys know whats good??
From the amount of posts and replies you guys have made, it looks like you spend more time shooting your mouth off on this forum than you do actually playing.
Quote by PunishedOne
Not really. Look at Gibson's quality control.

Put together mediocre, but sounds great while they last.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by infragreen
I made that pic a year ago, and it took all of 10 minutes to make. Yes I'm a tube snob, but I'm just trying to guide the lad down the right path. If he buy's junk, he may not keep playing, if he buys something decent he'll keep at it.

Digital and solid state DO NOT and probably WILL NEVER have the DYNAMICS that tubes have. Say it with me you hacks. DYNAMICS. Now spell it D-Y-N-A-M-I-C-S. Its not a matter of being a "tube snob". I've owned 2 solid state amps and a digital effects unit that didn't last long years ago, and I regret that I wasted one dime on them. They sounded great in the store at first, but soon afterward I just felt like something was missing, and it made me NOT WANT TO PLAY. I went tube, and I've never gone back. It FEELS like so much more and extension of my guitar and hands and brain. Behind the physics of digital/solidstate versus tube lies a very real reason for this.

Don't listen to any of these bedroom hacks, Flen. Get a tube amp. And don't take my word for it. 99.9% of pro-players from studio to stage use TUBES!! The sooner you get assimilated to a tube feel, the better off you'll be.

There's a ton of guitars suited to metal and punk. Go to music stores, ask the salesguys, and start jammin til you find what FEELS right. And make sure you plug into a TUBE amp.

I agree with you totally. And i didn't mean to come across as so opinionated, i have a habit of doing that and then failing to state my point. I agree 100% with the part about processors. I hate processing gear, give me a pedalboard full of stomp boxes anyday. But again, tube are great, dont get me wrong, but theres just something inside me which makes me prefer the sound of a hybrid, i feel it gives a bit more warmth than a SS but provides the strength and flexibility of SS. But as i said before, and as youve said, everyone should buy gear which sounds and feels right to them.

peace

Quote by infragreen
Hey "TheSumofTwo" and "Schecter1277"!! How would you guys know whats good??
From the amount of posts and replies you guys have made, it looks like you spend more time shooting your mouth off on this forum than you do actually playing.

and by the way, i've been playin for 6 years and i try to play for atleast 3 hours a day. And ive been giggin for 2 and a half years. Thats how i know what would sound good.
Last edited by thesumoftwo at Jun 14, 2006,
Quote by infragreen

I agree, with the fact where you say tube amps have they dynamics and a great tone. You actually feel what your playing and using a tube amp for a month will get rid of all the sloppiness in your system. A tube amp with the gain all the way up feels like a clean solid state amp...but sounds better.

But to argue, my band uses a Line 6 Flextone II. It being solid state, you can be sloppy and still sound great. It has numerous tones, not to heavy to carry around, direct out for recording which i prefer to micing cabs, and it has digital effects. It is also completely silent when you stop playin and a tube amp isnt.

I'd suggest if you want a new amp, check out a 30-50 watt tube combo, tube amps being dynamic sound sooo much louder. My 100 watt mesa on 60 watt mode sounds louder than a 550watt randall going through 2 cabs if that says anything. If your looking to do home recording and small gigs, id suggest a Flextone II, III, Roland Cube or a VOX.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by infragreen

Tell me, do you plan on having kids? If so tell me, I need to fix that.
So, because you don't like tube that makes it a fact...right, everyone write that down, the pharoah has spoken.
99.9% eh? so all the players that use SS aren't really pro, didn't know that, write it down, it's fact!
Again, youre comparing apples to oranges, you don't play SS to get dynamics, you play it to get effects, to make each song sound like youre playing off a different amp.
You can also play SS quieter, it isnt effected by volume like a tube is, you'll have a different sound when on 7, 2, and 10. Not an attractive feature to me.
Try a tube yes, but try a few SS, see which one you like. Music is about self expression, do you want to sound like the 1960's or be able to create your own sound?
The thing is tube sounds great, but only when you have the volume and gain at 10. (or 11 in plexi's case) It sounds to me like flen is underaged, so am I. and my parents don't really apperciate me playing a 30 or 60 watt amp at max volume. With a SS I can play it on 1 or 2 and still have the same tone as if I had it cranked.
Tube is also more expensive and heavier.
Quote by Schecter1277
Tell me, do you plan on having kids? If so tell me, I need to fix that.
So, because you don't like tube that makes it a fact...right, everyone write that down, the pharoah has spoken.
99.9% eh? so all the players that use SS aren't really pro, didn't know that, write it down, it's fact!
Again, youre comparing apples to oranges, you don't play SS to get dynamics, you play it to get effects, to make each song sound like youre playing off a different amp.
You can also play SS quieter, it isnt effected by volume like a tube is, you'll have a different sound when on 7, 2, and 10. Not an attractive feature to me.
Try a tube yes, but try a few SS, see which one you like. Music is about self expression, do you want to sound like the 1960's or be able to create your own sound?

k first of your second sentance didn't make any sence to me (than again im very tired.) I thought he did like tube?
and about your third statement, most pros really do use tube amps. the pros that cant afford tube amps wish they had tube amps. i know their are plently of pros about some ss amps (modeling amps in particular) but its just a fact that most players would like to have a tube amp over an ss or modeling amp.
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
Yeah, I'm tired too, it was a typo
Most pros do use tube amps, but there are a lot that don't, they are mostly your indie or nu metal though.
But a pro is different than a hobbiest, personally I find it offensive everytime I see "get that 80's tone" or "get that '73 tone." I am part of a new generation and I want to see what computers can do for me, this is 2006 dammit, and I want a digital amp.
Digital amps offer more flexibity, pros have more money and therefore tube is a more viable option, but for the average joe, a tube is twice as expensive, unreliable(change tubes, blowouts etc), and will sound one way, no matter what you do. If you get tired of your amp or want to sound like such and such, you will have to buy a new amp.
True, with a SS you won't sound as good as a tube, but you will be able to have a different sound when you want to.
This SS stigma I feel is limiting SS growth, you can do a lot with computers, but everyone is so stuck on this tube stuff that no one wants to put out a decient SS or spend too much money making one because no one will buy it. So were stuck in this cycle, tube amps are great, but we've basicly done all we can with them. It's time to move on, like I said, it's no longer 1960.
I prefer tube, but have nothing against solid state, they are more dependable (usually) and you get really good cleans with them. This would be a very good choice for a giggable solid state amp:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-DynaTouch-III-Stage-1000-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=480484

You can also get a 5-watt Epiphone tube head that will overdrive without blowing out your windows for around $99.

I DO think that a beginner should learn "clean" before he progresses to mega-gain and distortion.
Quote by mrbreeze

I DO think that a beginner should learn "clean" before he progresses to mega-gain and distortion.

I, sir, laugh at you
Having a tube amp does not equate to being stuck in "1960". There are plenty of modern-voiced- tube amps available, not to mention pedals and outboard gear to mix and match.

For low-volumes I'd suggest a Fender Blues Jr. Small 15watt,great sounding,great dynamic tube amp for about the same price as your Flextone. Its only one a channel clean with reverb, but there are a ton of great distortion pedals out there to collect and try. I like Fulltone and Maxon the best. They're more expensive than Boss of Digicrap, but totally worth it. MXR has some cool high-gain stuff also for metal.

Solid state is solid state. You can't reinvent the wheel here. Adding all the digital bells and whistles doesn't suddenly give you a radical new sound, and it also doesn't change the fact that SS will never have the feel of tubes. Again, you can't reinvent the wheel.
It's not apples and oranges, its more like real apples and plastic oranges. One looks and tastes like the real thing, the other just looks like the real thing.

The pharoah has spoken.
Last edited by infragreen at Jun 14, 2006,
Quote by infragreen
Having a tube amp does not equate to being stuck in "1960". There are plenty of modern-voiced- tube amps available, not to mention pedals and outboard gear to mix and match.

For low-volumes I'd suggest a Fender Blues Jr. Small 15watt,great sounding,great dynamic tube amp for about the same price as your Flextone. Its only one a channel clean with reverb, but there are a ton of great distortion pedals out there to collect and try. I like Fulltone and Maxon the best. They're more expensive than Boss of Digicrap, but totally worth it. MXR has some cool high-gain stuff also for metal.

Solid state is solid state. You can't reinvent the wheel here. Adding all the digital bells and whistles doesn't suddenly give you a radical new sound, and it also doesn't change the fact that SS will never have the feel of tubes. Again, you can't reinvent the wheel.
It's not apples and oranges, its more like real apples and plastic oranges. One looks and tastes like the real thing, the other just looks like the real thing.

The pharoah has spoken.

All right, so let me get this straight, youre suggesting that I buy a new $400 amp to play just low volumes? Not to mention it only has a clean channel and I will have to spend who knows how much money to put effects on there should I need them... Please, explain your logic...
I have a 75w amp, I can play loud or soft, crystal clear or distorted, it's up to me.
Solid state has not reached it's peak, the digital bells and whistles are what solid state is. Youre saying just because an orange is fresh doesn't make it fresher.
Dynamics can easly be programmed into an amp if someone took the time to do it, but with people so hard onto tube why do it? I don't see why it's nessisary to spend 2 to 3 times as much for an amp that will only give me a minimal difference.
Gawd, kid, your comprehension is awful. I wasn't talking to you , and I wasn't suggesting ONLY playing the Fender at low volumes. It actually keeps up pretty well in band set-up. I was talking to the guy who started this thread. I'm suggesting an amp to HIM. Its a great place to start. You can add on as you go as far as fx, pedals, guitars, etc. The heart of a great rig is the right TUBE amp. It is superior for your playing. It brings out all the subtle nuance's of your playing way better than a digital of ss amp will now or ever. You can't program that. Yes! Spend more on your rig if you really love it! It is, after all, a labor of love. I've been playing much longer than these guys and I've owned both and I KNOW what I'm talking about.

Youre saying just because an orange is fresh doesn't make it fresher.

WTF are you talking about about?? Again, where are your comprehension skills?? Lay off the video games kid.
Hey Elitist asshat, mind go playing the Valvetronix series as well as the Cubes and come back to us?
Jackson SLSMG Soloist (JB/Jazz)
Roland Micro Cube

Member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join.
I've played em' both. Snooze.

The Cube. Yeah whatever. The cornerstone amp of any thrash guru. STUPID.
Isn't the point here to help the thread starter? And he's asking for an amp to fit his needs, not what is the best amp in the world.

That'd be like if a soccer mom asked for a suggestion on a new car, and you telling her that she should get a Ferrari F430, because that is the pinnacle of driving performance and styling. No one will argue with you on how great the Ferrari is, but it ain't gonna serve the soccer mom's purposes, and she probably won't even appreciate most of the pros of the Ferrari. She'd be a lot better served getting a Honda Oddysey, which obviously isn't anywhere near as amazing as the Ferrari, but would serve her needs a lot better.

For someone that isn't a pro and is probably still developing their musical tastes, it'd probably make a lot more sense to get a modelling amp so that he can try out different sounds and be able to play a wide variety of music without blowing his budget.
Quote by globetro
Isn't the point here to help the thread starter? And he's asking for an amp to fit his needs, not what is the best amp in the world.

That'd be like if a soccer mom asked for a suggestion on a new car, and you telling her that she should get a Ferrari F430, because that is the pinnacle of driving performance and styling. No one will argue with you on how great the Ferrari is, but it ain't gonna serve the soccer mom's purposes, and she probably won't even appreciate most of the pros of the Ferrari. She'd be a lot better served getting a Honda Oddysey, which obviously isn't anywhere near as amazing as the Ferrari, but would serve her needs a lot better.

For someone that isn't a pro and is probably still developing their musical tastes, it'd probably make a lot more sense to get a modelling amp so that he can try out different sounds and be able to play a wide variety of music without blowing his budget.

Thanks
find a used Peavey Triumph PAG60 for $225 and get affordable tube tone that makes the Cube sound like cheddar
Page 1 of 2