Hey chumps and chumpettes...i got a quick q..if anyone else is familiar with alot of marshall stuff, I recently bought a TSL-100 head and have been muckin around with it a fair bit, I'm in a metalcore band and we play alot of unearth/inflames/bleeding through kinda lowset tuning heavy distortion stuff, I can't seem to get a great crunchy sound out of it at the moment, I could probably sort it out with a pedal but I'd like to see if anyone has any input regarding it as id rather use the head for distortion? Have tried mucking around alot with the settings and can't get a great tone yet..if anyone has any suggestions, however obvious they mite be, I'd be glad to hear them..cheers gane.
scoop ther mids. i guess.....the marshall is a very mid based amp and a scooped mid could balance it towards a metalcore tone. mids at about 5.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Cheers man ur a legend, i'll giv it a whirl when i can actually turn the amp up, if anyone else has got any suggestions im totally open for them.
A boost pedal would be nice, just use a Boss SD-1......

My Friend has one of these amps, and .......... well...... it is kinda hard to get a heavy tone out of it........

............. a Mesa perhaps??
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
^ what he said. a boost dude. on the other hand, im running a vox bulldog distortion through the clean channel on my dsl 50 head, and im getting some pretty cool sounds out of it. tis heavy as fook, yet still retains a hint of that marshall crunch! then again, alot of people dont like distortion over the clean channel, but it certainly floats my boat! depends what kinda sound your after i suppose. an OD pedal will be good over a lead channel to boost the gain, but put a distortion pedal over a lead channel and prepare for your head to implode with harshness. in short, OD - warmth, distortion - harsh (but not TOO harsh)
try getting a metal master pedal by digitech. u can also get the same sound with a distortion factory pedal, also by digitech.
My Gear:

Epi Les Paul Standard
Fender 48th Street Strat
Vox Valvetronix AD50VT
Martin Koa Acoustic
Some crappy unnamed bass
you shouldn't need a pedal to get a decent metal sound out of it. i can get a decent metal core tone outta my DSL. easily.

oh and btw hows life in rocky?
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Yeah i was thinkin of a mesa but just waaay too much for me price wise. Ive got a boss metalzone and a boss md-2, i like the metalzone as a pedal cos of its clarity but can sound a bit too 'gratey', but i'll muck around with it, the md-2 doesn't have enough tole with it, kinda leaves you wondering but i'll have a look at both. man rocky is rocky, we have cows, large women and the gayest football team in the world, its great lolz, hows gladdy? did you check out the crusty demons when they were there? hey yeah, wat are teh settings ur using atm for ur dsl? i think the crunch channel on the tsl is similar to the dsl's, the lead just has a bit more crunch in it.
Guys a thought occurs....i'm not actually using my new cab that i got with the head yet as it's on back order and i'm on a loaner from the shop, it looks like its a bit of a veteran and has had its fair share of people havin a go through it, could this also be a factor?
I can't remember off the top of my head what features the 100 has over the 60 watt, but on my TSL 60 I can get a pretty heavy tone with the following settings on the lead channel:

Bass Boost: On
Master Volume: 10
Bass: 6
Mid: 5
Treble: 7
Gain: 9
Volume: 4-5

Using the Mid Scoop will give you a good metal tone as well, but I don't usually use it. I also use a compressor which gives me a gain/sustain boost. It's plenty heavy enough for the kind of stuff I play (Metalcore, Post-Hardcore, etc.)
Guitars
Schecter C1 Blackjack
Fender Standard Strat (w SD JB Humbucker in bridge)
Squire Strat
Amps
Marshall TSL 60 Head
1960A Cab
Line 6 Spider II 112
Rack
Korg DT-1 Tuner
DBX Compressor
BBE Sonic Maximizer
i have this amp myself and if your playing rythm i suggest completely scooping the mids out too 0 thats how i get my heavy tone i would give you the rest of my settings but im protective of them even tho pry 5000 other people have them
Quote by STPGuitar311
I can't remember off the top of my head what features the 100 has over the 60 watt, but on my TSL 60 I can get a pretty heavy tone with the following settings on the lead channel:

Bass Boost: On
Master Volume: 10
Bass: 6
Mid: 5
Treble: 7
Gain: 9
Volume: 4-5

Using the Mid Scoop will give you a good metal tone as well, but I don't usually use it. I also use a compressor which gives me a gain/sustain boost. It's plenty heavy enough for the kind of stuff I play (Metalcore, Post-Hardcore, etc.)

TSL100 has a seperate EQ section for both OD/Distortion channels while the TSL60 has a shared EQ.
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
DSL settings
Gain vol- 6
Treble- 8
Mid- 5
Bass-6.5
Master Volume- 3

oh and life in gladdy sucks. alot. but i get to do work experience at greens musical next week. thank god, a week out of gladstone.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
I thrown on my metalzone on really low drive for a bit of extra bite with tone, and it's workin great, scooped the mids to about 4 and upped the presence for a bit more clarityw ith palm muting, cheers lads, hey man did you say with greens music or wateva, are you doin that in rocky?
no one's really mentioned this but try jacking up the volume. put the channel volume near max and turn up the master. marshall's known for the distortion and break up you get at high volume after all.

yeah i'll be at greens all next week. in rocky.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
seriously? whats his name. i'll make a point to meet him.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Quote by joel_grieve
seriously? whats his name. i'll make a point to meet him.

Brad, he's one of the guitar boys there, pretty awesome player.