Hi guys, I am looking into recording the guitar on my computer. The purpose of this is two-fold; 1, to obviously record myself playing so i can evaluate my own playing and also to make some tracks with multiple guitar parts; 2, I recently got my guitar and I am looking to experiment with different sounds (tones, effects, etc) without having to spend a lot of money on amps and pedals.

My friend uses Line6 Guitarport (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-GuitarPort?sku=482232) and highly recommended that to me. I was looking into it and seems like a great deal for the price, however the only issue is that it does not have a pedal and you can't use other pedals going into it (could potentially screw it up and it voids the warranty). Another product I was looking into was the M-Audio Black Box Guitar Performance/Recording System (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-Black-Box-Guitar-PerformanceRecording-System?sku=241102). It is more expensive and doesnt seem to have as great reviews as the guitarport, but the pedal is a huge plus. Also the Black Box comes with a large amount of drum loops which would be really nice.

Right now I think I am leaning towards the black box for the pedal, but I'm not really sure. Anyone have any recommendations on these two products or any alternative setups that I should look into?
Im not trying to sound mean, by y is it so necessary that u have the pedal, I have the Line 6 toneport, a little bigger the the Guitarport also without a pedal and it works great, maybe Im not understanding u?
Member #5 of the I <3 Schecter's Club-PM Schecter-06 to join
"Member of the Guitarists that wished they could sing because they would make fantastic frontmen club"-Pm Davidian to join
Well I'm not completely sure that I need/would use the pedal a lot, but the thing is it is a distinct possibility. If I get guitar port and then later decide that I want to use a pedal for various FX and stuff mid song then I would have to buy another setup that included a pedal, as from what I understand guitarport is incompatible with pedals.
If u want pedal for effects, dont forget that the Guitarport comes with Gearbox type software. It is software which models amp and allows u to choose any effect u want so it models pedals also so if u wanna play with an effect u dont need the pedal cause u can click on the effect u want and adjust various things such as intensity and so on. U can choose multiple effects at the same time too. It also models various amps from vintage to modern and allows u to choose b/t different models from clean guitar, heavy guitar, crunch guitar, vocals, regular tones and bass too (I am not 100% sure about this cause I have the Ux1 but I think it has similar options, just not as much as the Ux1). So u can get the Jimi Hendrix Fuzz Wah or the SRV texas blues really anything. Don't limit you opportunities to a pedal. There are various interfaces or recording units out there that do a great job. And if I were I i would add in $30 more to get the Line 6 Toneport Ux1. There are just more possibilities such as mic'ing ur amp. Good Luck,

Steve
Member #5 of the I <3 Schecter's Club-PM Schecter-06 to join
"Member of the Guitarists that wished they could sing because they would make fantastic frontmen club"-Pm Davidian to join
Thanks for the help Steve. Thanks for mentioning that toneport, I'm going to look into that today and see if that is something worthwhile. The more I think about it, the more I think that the pedal really isnt all that neccessary.