My main style of playing is blues rock, with heavier stuff sometimes. I want an amp that has good clean tone, while I will use my effects for most of the distortion. If I just need clean sounds, is a tube amp necessary, or will I just be paying more for nothing? The amp needs to be good for practice at home, but loud enough for when I eventually start gigging. Thanks in advance for the help.

P.S. I was thinking the Randall RX120DHS. Good, bad? Let me know.
http://www.music123.com/Randall-RX120DHS-Half-Stack-i270286.music
whats your price range? for £500 (the price of that halfstack, you could get a nice valve combo that would be nice for clean AND distortion.
Quote by TehJermie
you can get that toneblaster stack at the cost of your dignity.

Quote by silhouettica
fine, screw the cheese sandwich if you must...

you could have a look at a fender amp, they give nice cleans and you could boost the gain channel with an OD pedal if you wanted, assuming its not heavy enough for you........the only other amp i can think of with nice cleans are some form of orange amp but they are way too expensive or possibly a used roland jazz chorus, i know its not a *clean* clean sound but its still really nice
I've got a roland jazz chorus, perfect for cleans, not for distortion. But if you're using effects it should be fine. Check ebay, theres many different versions of this amp.
Hot Rod Deluxe, or the Deville 2x12 with a Maxon OD9 should do the trick
Quote by idontloveyou
oh my.
you poor soul.
i'll go and slit my wrists for you so you dont have to.

Quote by Dr.Ripper
I've got a roland jazz chorus, perfect for cleans, not for distortion. But if you're using effects it should be fine. Check ebay, theres many different versions of this amp.

x2. Jazz Chorus cleans are legendary, and you get the cheapness and reliability of a solid state. You don't need all tube for good cleans. But if you want tube, Fender is the other place to look. Or a Mesa/Boogie Lonestar or Vox AC30 if you've got $1,000+ to spend.
Hi, I'm Peter
Fender blues jr. would be great. But it's only 15 watt. But it's an all tube. As far as I know, tube amps are generally louder. I'm sure it could cope with a small gig. Handles effects like awesome like.
Epi Valve Standard. Another 15 watt valve wonder.
Or look for a another cheap tube amp on ebay.
a Fender Deluxe 112 Plus
i got one recently and the cleans are almost too good its insane to believe it!!!
the distortion ****ing sucks, but i use a DS-2 so it doesnt matter
THE CLEANS WILL MAKE YOU CUM!!!
100 watts and its only like $400 mine was on sale for 300$
Last edited by Aftter-Forever at Jun 14, 2006,
for about $400 u can get a crate palomino. i heard it and the clean is amazing. it's a tube amp.
My Gear:

Epi Les Paul Standard
Fender 48th Street Strat
Vox Valvetronix AD50VT
Martin Koa Acoustic
Some crappy unnamed bass
Quote by afroboy
If I just need clean sounds, is a tube amp necessary, or will I just be paying more for nothing?

tubes are ALWAYS better, in my opinon. you get a warmer, richer tone, and they sound better and better as you turn the volume up. a solid-state amp will start to distort at high volumes, even on clean channels.
^^^ Nonsense. With cleans, in an oscilliscope, tube amps look exactly the same as solid state amps, until the point of clipping, which means just buy a solid state amp with more headroom. If you're just doing shimmering cleans, paying for tubes offers you no real advantage over a solid state.
Hi, I'm Peter
^ So if Fender made a solid state version of the Hot Rod series, they would have the same great cleans?

Excuse the dumb question.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Well, Fender does make a few different solid state amps. No one really complains that they have bad cleans. And look how many artists have used the Roland Jazz Chorus in studio applications. They're great amps. If you're talking cleans or low volume playing, there is virtually no difference in sound quality between a good solid state and a tube amp. The ONLY time the difference comes into play is at high volumes/clipping.
Hi, I'm Peter
Everyone, thanks so much for all the replies. I like the different opinions and I can see now that I have a lot of options. I'm gonna kind of sort through the amp models and types suggested, to look at price, and availability for me, but I will definitely get back soon on what I think my top choice will be. If you have any more ideas, dont hesitate to keep 'em comin'.
Hey. Sorry I took so long to post a reply. From your suggestions, I've narrowed my amp choices down to the Traynor Custom 40, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Epiphone Blues Custom, Crate 32 Palomino, and Roland JC-90 Jazz Chorus. I can try out some in my area, but others I'd have to buy online. Which of these has the most volume (i've heard the hot rod is ridiculous, but I dont know)? I'd also like to know which one you guys would chose. I'd like to stay at or under $600, but will go a little higher if completely worth it. Thanks again.
After further examination, I've narrowed it down even further. The Traynor costs the same, but has individual controls for each channel, so scratch link #2. Then the Epiphone has a crazy amount of features that the Palomino can't even touch, so scratch link #4. Soooo. . . now it's between Traynor Custom Valve 40 and the Epiphone Blues Custom. Choose wisely. Oh yeah, I don't want the Roland anymore cause it isnt tube. Peace.
Fender amps are great for cleans. But the amp I play out of is the Roland Blues Cube , which is a killer amp. Its got a nice clean channel, with 2 different crunch channels, as well a a decent drive channel. The cleans sound like a Fender, the drive sounds like a Mashall almost. I have the 60 watt version, but I'm sure the 30 is just as good, its out of production thouhg, so good luck finding it new anywhere.
The Roland Jazz Chorus is famous for its cleans, not tube, but still worth looking into if you want good cleans
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
I have a Traynor YCV80 (Custom Valve 80w 2x12) and the cleans are AMAZING. With the right settings and amount of reverb they shimmer and are angellic.

The Traynor is perfect for my style of indie-rock and blues, and the lead channel is great for classic rock sounds (I get a great British Crunch overdriven sound out of it), and it can even do metal.

I love it, and I think it's a lot more versatile than the Hot Rod, and Traynor's warranty is great for a gigging guitarist (2 years, even if you break it).
Yeah, the Traynor does sound really versatile. I am just really tempted by the Epiphone Blues Custom because it has just about the same features and more. It has ten watts less, but costs 100 bucks less too! Cost might be a big factor for me, so it matters. Anyways, more opinions are appreciated.