lol arpeggios.

Its when you play each note of a chord seperatly.
Been away, am back
i'll also add that it's the 1st, 3rd, 5th, and 8th note of a scale. that is, if you know major scales.
The Damned Blue Collar Tweeker of the Primus Sucks club. PM StratEnRegalia to join.

Flickr

Quote by Tad Walters
11th chords are for fags.
ah now i get it, so if im playing a major scale then an arpeggio is the notes in it right?
Cool

some more questions i dont get:

1 what is a chord pattern?
2 what are speedy runs?
3 whats the point in playing songs faster than usual?
4 why are some guitars got more strings than others?
5 what is a major scale?
chord pattern is literally the chords you are playing, like E A D, E A D, E A D

people play songs faster to show off

some guitars have more for larger ranges, 7 string can make owerr notes but 12 string jus add like an echo to each string
A chord is 3 (or more notes) being played at the same time.
Been away, am back
Quote by tp600
but what does that mean?

Musical Notes.

Quote by Jdwannabe

people play songs faster to show off

Shut up.

Quote by deathshadow519
So your 13th(?) fret is also an E.

On the E string, 12th fret.
Ok...every fret is a different note. If you play your low E (fattest string) open, then that note is an E. If you move it up to the 1st fret, that's an F. The notes on your low E are
E, F, F♯, G, G♯, A, A♯, B, C, C♯, D, D♯
if I'm not mistaken. Thats an octave (basically 12 notes away from another note). So your 13th(?) fret is also an E. Also, say, a D♯ is the same as E♭. Kinda hard to explain, but I'm trying

EDIT: ♯ means sharp and ♭ means flat
Quote by mccabe24
I have a feeling that this guy is just being a retard asking stupid questions

Where do babies come from?
thanks for the feedback, i think im taking a break from guitar cause its really confusing me

You don't need to know this stuff to play guitar.
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
^ You don't need to know what notes are to play guitar?

Some of the things he mentioned... chord progressions, notes and the major scale are all fundamental for guitarists.
I just mean that you don't need to know everything about them to actually PLAY the guitar.

As in, if you just want to play, then just play, and know where you're playing rather than what you're playing. You can go back and find those things out, but there's no point rushing theory.

True - but by not knowing what the major scale is (or any scale for that matter, but more importantly the major scale), what notes are and what chord progressions to use... you're really limiting yourself in terms of creativity, originality and improvisation.

Sorry if I snapped
I'll agree, these things are important, but if you find them overwhelming, then there's no real problem just taking a break from theory and, well, playing.

I mean, of course, we'd all like to be able to write our own pieces or understand WHY notes and chords sound good together, but, to be honest... Sometimes it's just more satisfying to play.

For example, I don't know why the 7th fret B, 7th fret high E, 10th fret (full bend) high E combo from The Thrill Is Gone sounds good to me, but it does, so I'm happy just to play it for now.

The threadstarted jumped in the deep end by asking about arpeggios.
Try starting with something easier
Been away, am back
In a major scale the 1st, 3rd, 5th, and 8th note ascending is an arpeggio...right???