Is this head any good?? (Marshall Lead 100 Mosfet Amp Head)

What are the pro's and con's?? I heard it was the closest sounding to a tube amp of the solid states, but I'm not sure.

Any help??
Quote by the8mmmonkey
Wow this thread is old. Mosfet is hybrid solidstate like the MG series. I saw one in guitar center and I to an thinking about getting it. Does anyone have a mosfet???

Hybrid solid-state? What are you on about? Hybrid amps generally have a tube in the pre-amp, but have transistors (essentially what a mosfet is) in the power amp; I have seen some models with a SS pre-amp and a tube power amp however.

As far as I know, this amp and the MG series do not have any sort of tubes in the circuitry (maybe tube emulation, but that's another story). One of the reasons that has been claimed gives this amp a tube-like sound is the power transformer. Enough said I think...
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by the_random_hero
Hybrid solid-state? What are you on about? Hybrid amps generally have a tube in the pre-amp, but have transistors (essentially what a mosfet is) in the power amp; I have seen some models with a SS pre-amp and a tube power amp however.

As far as I know, this amp and the MG series do not have any sort of tubes in the circuitry (maybe tube emulation, but that's another story). One of the reasons that has been claimed gives this amp a tube-like sound is the power transformer. Enough said I think...

I dont know one thing about it but im desiding if i wana get it.
From what I hear it's similar to MG's. Won't really be an upgrade IMO.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
where are you and how much is it?
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

I haven't played it, but I've seen one before. I think they were made around the early 90's or so? I hear they're better than MG's, and I've even heard someone say they're better than AVT's (I think). If it's going for a really good price, maybe it's worth a look at, but I'm sure everyone here will tell you go tube, or to get the JCM 800 (Which indeed kicks ass). I watched that video though, that's not a bad tone there
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
oh wow. thats actually some fantastic playing and a good tone!
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer
Fulltone OCD
Dallas-Arbiter Wah Baby
Home-Built Germanium Fuzz Face
MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
2 Fender Blues Juniors
In chronological order :

#1 - Mosfet-based Marshalls (I'd like to buy one. 1980's)
#2 - Mk I Valvestates (the great 8100 head belongs to this category. 1990's)
#3 - Mk II Valvestates (not as recognized as the Mk I's. Late 90's)
#4 - Advanced Valvestate Technology (meh... my friend has AVT-50. It doesn't suck, but it's nowhere near its predecessors tone-wise. They are built in the now)
people buy them thinking they are cool rare old marshalls

they are infact CRAP
I wouldn't call them crap, they aren't that great, but they aren't horrible. You can usually get them dirt cheap too.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
by crap, i meant in relation to my tube amps - every time i hear ss now, they just lack so much soul for me

over an mg though, good
Quote by davedoom
by crap, i meant in relation to my tube amps - every time i hear ss now, they just lack so much soul for me

over an mg though, good

I see. Thanks for the reply

...But if one is looking for a SS amp, would this be a good choice ? I mean they seem to be reliable : a lot of them still work after 20+ years, they have good cleans (lots'o headroom)...
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
yeah as far as SS amps go they are pretty good.

They also have those big ass Drake power transformers... That can't hurt
Quote by Mackin
...any other info about 'em ?

I rented one of these for a couple days looking for a new amp. Good god it was awful. Made my old Spider II sound like gold. It was noisy, harsh sounding, and just in general unmusical is the nicest way I can put it. The distortion channel never cleaned up very well. The cleans though were alright I guess. I didn't even keep it a day and just took it back saying I knew I wasn't going to dig it and got part of my money on the rental back. About the only good thing about it is its loud while staying clean and cheap, meaning it's not a bad amp to run something like a Boss GT-8 into.
Thanks for the reply !

[Edit] ...Anyways, I bought one on eBay today. We'll see what it's worth when it arrives
Last edited by Mackin at Mar 18, 2008,