I'm trying to find a classic rock amp for under $700. I'm looking for a sound as close as possible to the sounds Jimmy Page gets on a lot of his songs, like stairway or The Rover. If i need more money to get the sound, i can save up for something more than $700.
My Gear:

Epi Les Paul Standard
Fender 48th Street Strat
Vox Valvetronix AD50VT
Martin Koa Acoustic
Some crappy unnamed bass
Marshalls are always good.

Also ive got a Vox ad50vt that models a 70s marshall. Got it for 350.
You could go with the 100 watt or halfstack version for around that price range.
you need more money to get the sound, generally speaking.

although many factors contributed to Page's sound, the heart of it was a Les Paul plugged into a 100W all-tube marshall stack.

now, page had his amps hot-rodded for live shows, and you can't rule out the fact that the best players in the world can make any setup sound awesome. but here's what you'll need to start getting close to that holy grail of zep-tone:

-a guitar with humbucking pickups
-a tube amp, (preferably marshall, anything older than the TSL line should do), at least 40 watts. remember that transtube, tube-hybrid, avt, mg, etc... are NOT tube amps, and just because they say marshall on them does not mean they sound good.

basically, i advise this:

if you can get an ALL-tube amp for under 700, go for it. you may need to save a couple hundred more though. the main thing you should look for is quality and richness of the tone, not the level of distortion.
Last edited by frigginjerk at Jun 14, 2006,
i have a strat, but one of the pickups is a humbucker so i think that will do. can anybody give me advice on what kind of marshall amp i should get? it needs to be as cheap as possible. and also, does it work to just have a head and not a cab?
My Gear:

Epi Les Paul Standard
Fender 48th Street Strat
Vox Valvetronix AD50VT
Martin Koa Acoustic
Some crappy unnamed bass
Last edited by guitarfreek909 at Jun 14, 2006,
Quote by guitarfreek909
i have a strat, but one of the pickups is a humbucker so i think that will do. can anybody give me advice on what kind of marshall amp i should get? it needs to be as cheap as possible. and also, does it work to just have a head and not a cab?

having a head with no cab doesn't work. the head doesn't actually have speakers, so it's a two-part system. the cab needs a head, and the head needs a cab.

for a marshall on your budget, i recommend a combo amp. the best/cheapest marshall tube amp i can think of at the moment is the DSL401. it's 40 tube watts, which is LOUD, 1X12" speaker, two channels, and it's all tube. if you get one, PLAY it first, i've heard that duds occur frequently with that particular model. it costs about 800-1000 bucks.

edit: my gear consits of a DSL50 head with a 2X12 cab, and i play an Epiphone Les Paul though it. i get a pretty decent zeppelin sound from that setup, and the DSL401 is basically the scale version of my rig, with 10 less watts and one less speaker
maybe look into a traynor 50 blue, they are all-tube and are meant to have a more brittish, marshall sound...otherwise, just check ebay for some of the all-tube marshall combos. listen to frigginjerk, he seems to know what hes talking about.
Quote by beckyjc
Peavey Classic 30?

agreed i have one and its great for those tones....although you may want to get a fuzz face or similar for some page tones (example being "dazed and confued")
Quote by R_H_C_P
You're joking right?

It's like comparing sex to sticking your penis in a blender.

Quote by SonOfOsiris
Any Marshalls

No.

Just no.

Seriously, if you don't know, don't post.

Vintage all-tube marshalls (or indeed anything older than the tsls), maybe.

But any marshall? not when that includes MG's and AVT's.

I'd take a look at the traynor YCV50 blue. I haven't tried it, but I hear its OD channel is marshally. The peavey classic 30 is pretty nice too, IMO. Dunno about the dsl combo- i haven't tried the head versions (which are meant to be better) but the combo sounds a little too modern for me... it's still decent though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I am also extremely happy with the classic rock sound I get outta my Vox
Member #5 of the I <3 Schecter's Club-PM Schecter-06 to join
"Member of the Guitarists that wished they could sing because they would make fantastic frontmen club"-Pm Davidian to join