The last chord from "Amazing Grace" by Steve Vai:

--3------*|
--3------*|
--4------*|
--7------*|
--5------*|
--3------*|

Is a bitch!!!
Vai's fingers are abnormally long, though, so he can play it. When I try, even on my Jackson, which has pretty small frets, there's no way in hell I can get it to ring clearly. Can anyone play it?
WHOALASKA!! WHOALASKAAAA!!!
Yeah, I can. My fingers are abnormally long too, though.

ALTERNATE FINGERING?!

---3---- pinky
---0----
---2---- 2nd finger
---0----
---2---- index finger
---3---- 3rd finger

Gsus2 anybody?
Last edited by coffeeguy9 at Jun 14, 2006,
Dave Matthews can play it probably, but I can't think of anyone else that can. My fingers arent that big.
I just did on my classical. If you want to practice stretching, look at John Smith's version of Moonlight in Vermont.
i got it and i got short stubbys, dont think i could do it on the fly though i play a lot of randy rhoades stuff helps wiyth the reach
ibanez rocks
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Can anyone play it?

Yes, Steve Vai

Hmm, well, do you really want the same voicing? You could also try a different voicing.. It's a Gmaj(9) chord (assuming it's in standard), so you could use something in the likes of
-3-
-3-
-2-
-x-
-2-
-3-
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
just form a g barre chord and stretch the pinky out to the 5th frett is that right or am i missing something
ibanez rocks
Quote by elvenkindje
Yes, Steve Vai

Hmm, well, do you really want the same voicing? You could also try a different voicing.. It's a Gmaj(9) chord (assuming it's in standard), so you could use something in the likes of
-3-
-3-
-2-
-x-
-2-
-3-

Gsus2. There is no Major 7th in the chord. It could be a Gadd9 though

And for the chord, how many fingers do you have? Check my post a few posts up.

As for the original chord, I can play it relatively easy, but not on the fly. When playing it, put your thumb on the lower side of the neck, so it gives you a lot more movabillity with the fingers. Like rest it almost behind the high E string
Quote by coffeeguy9

ALTERNATE FINGERING?!

---3---- pinky
---0----
---2---- 2nd finger
---0----
---2---- index finger
---3---- 3rd finger

Gsus2 anybody?

Aw, damn, I didn't realize that. Probably the guy copied the song from the book and transcribed that chord that way so he doesn't get busted for copyright infringement. lol.
Quote by coffeeguy9
Gsus2. There is no Major 7th in the chord. It could be a Gadd9 though

Gmaj(9) is a Gadd9. The ( ) means add Also, it can't be a sus because there's still a third (the B, in this case) present.

Just enough for this chord The pinky must fret string 1 and 2, maybe that should clarify things a bit.

Also, while I was posting my post, suddenly five posts between the first and mine appeared, so I didn't see your voicing. I didn't think of that one while posting and I think it's a better voicing in this case.. However, I don't like open strings that much. Plus, my voicing is movable
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
Quote by elvenkindje
Gmaj(9) is a Gadd9. The ( ) means add Also, it can't be a sus because there's still a third (the B, in this case) present.

GAH! Your right. Thats not the first time I've made that mistake either :\ :drills into head:
Quote by PooKoo
its not hard...

for me..

nah me neither just keep your thumb low and you should be fine
I just managed to play it, but if it were in a song, there would have to be like 20 bars full of rests before I had to play it. No way could I play that on cue.

Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
Quote by notoriousnumber
I just managed to play it, but if it were in a song, there would have to be like 20 bars full of rests before I had to play it. No way could I play that on cue.

I know, really, lol.
Yep it is for sure a Gadd9. 1 5 9 3 5 1 is the way the intervals are laid out so.
Co-Founder of the Jazz Guitarist Community. PM me or Zeppelin256 to join.

Come listen to Zeppelin256 and I jam over some jazz tunes! Unit 7
start by practicing the shape high up on the neck and move it down over time.
you guys really need to learn more chords and do more finger stretching excersizes. This shouldn't be hard at all, it's just a barre chord with a stretch.
I have relatively small hands for a guitarist... that one's bloody easy compared to some of the classical chords I've seen.

i.e (and this one's not really bad relatively speaking, it's just the first one that came to mind)
--0--
--0--
--1--
--2--
--2--
--4--
Quote by les_kris
Corwinoid is God
I'm not even God-like... I've officially usurped the Almighty's throne.
Click here to worship me.

Member #3 of the Corwinoid Fan Club
Quote by psychodelia
I just did on my classical. If you want to practice stretching, look at John Smith's version of Moonlight in Vermont.

That song = impossible chording.
Read my post. Not this.
Quote by coffeeguy9

I can play his form of the chord, the first part/(knuckle?) of all my fingers can bend maybe about 75 degrees backward. So I kinda bar the strings.

For Example:

G:

3 - pinky
3 - pinky
2 - ring
0 -
2 - pointer
3 - middle
Wha??

I can take that chord easily as hell!

Wow, thanks guys. I'm actually proud of these nail-bitten fingers now
When I heard smoking would kill me, I bought shares in Dunhill and Marlboro - Thomas Geraghty

If we don't change it, nothing will fucking change.
Quote by coffeeguy9

ALTERNATE FINGERING?!

---3---- pinky
---0----
---2---- 2nd finger
---0----
---2---- index finger
---3---- 3rd finger

Gsus2 anybody?

easy

edit: so are the other ones
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Last edited by FretboardToAsh at Jun 16, 2006,
Quote by notoriousnumber

Aye, but I bet you were the same with simple chords (D, E, G, etc.) when you first learned those, too. But you practiced and therefore your transitioning became better.

I can play it. I doubt I could switch to it fast, but I can play it. Probably because I do a lot of shuffle rhythms and try to reach a lot when I'm improvising.
hehe little hands

yeah i can play it :p

just dont worry about getting it perfect - finger a G major bar chord, then (even if it means pointing your headstock up to the ceiling), move your pinky out to the 7th fret, curl your ring and middle fingers more and attempt to get it to ring as clear as possible
-Mike
^ Depending on where you're coming from, it might actually be easier to lock your pinky on and come back to the barre; also, instead of tilting the guitar so you can see if you got your hand on, tilt it forward into your hand a bit. If you need to, lean on it... do some stretching excersizes, it'll come.
Quote by les_kris
Corwinoid is God
I'm not even God-like... I've officially usurped the Almighty's throne.
Click here to worship me.

Member #3 of the Corwinoid Fan Club
Not too bad, just a simple E9 barred on the third. It's a bit of a pinky stretch, but not far at all... on a wizard neck, at least...

still having trouble? pic:
You know the bitter comes out better on a stolen guitar
You're the BLESSED, we're the Spiders from Mars!

Member 3 of the "Mick Ronson Is an extremely Awesome Guitar Player" Fanclub. PM ThePurpleRabbit to join.