I just graduated from high school, and I did make the decision to do college. I could have just kept with my band, with the hopes of becoming something, but I think too much. I will be attending Eastern Kentucky University next year to major in Music Merchandising. Someday I'd like to work for a record label somewhere. This semester, I'm taking Beginning piano (recquired for my major(oddly)), a four credit hour theory class, and an introduction to the music industry course. The rest is just math and composition and crap, but I was just wondering...are there any of you out there that made the same decision I made? What classes are you going to take? What's your major?
Proud Egnater Fanboy

Favorite Bands

Periphery / Between the Buried and Me /
Ten After Two / Circa Survive /
Upon a Burning Body / / Bury Tomorrow /
Animals As Leaders / God Is An Astronaut

Proud member of the Seven String Legion.
I'm going to a college and majoring in Music Education for 2 years but I play on leaving that school to go get a Music Composition degree from Oklahoma University. I've been in AP classes, done concurrent enrollment(taking college classes in high school), and I am in Upward Bound so I'll have 18 college credit hours when I go to college.
I tried.. Just got rejected last monday for the conservatorium (comparable to berklee). Apparantly hours and hours of practice each day isn't enough to become good

Anyway, my direction would be improvised music, aka jazz, and someday I hope I can be a lead player in my own band, while teaching new, aspiring musicians as a side job. Better luck next year, I guess
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
I'm done with a year of music here ... and I am changing my major. Not because I didn't like "the college of music" but because I was a music education major and academia in America is all effed up, so I don't think I want to go into it.

I took a choir, theory, intro to music ed (this is what made me quit, lol), history of rock'n'roll, two science courses, an english, spanish for 3 quarters, intro to polisci, and theatre.

It was easy, I won't lie. It was odd that the one I liked the most was English. That's why I'm leaning toward going into journalism with a music minor, so maybe I can write for a music rag.
I am considering either the composition or computer music / multimedia concentrations at Brown. First I'm going to the music department to speak with a few people, then I'll maybe check out a few other departments that aren't music-related.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Nope, I'm going to study theoretical physics. Yay!

The music courses available over here are so terrible that its comical.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Quote by Resiliance

That always seemed like a good education to me.. Too bad Antwerpen is too far away for me Can you tell me a bit about it? Maybe I'll go crazy one day and decide to go anyway
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
I'm taking music in college. I'm a few courses short of finishing my second year (Englishes and other non-music classes=blech) So that's what I'm doing in the fall as well as the ensembles of course. I'll continue to be pursuing music to get my degree. I'm still looking at which particular path I should take but I want to become a teacher. Did I mention that I'm a baritone sax major though? I might take a guitar minor but they don't have a class on Jimmy Page.
Quote by elvenkindje
That always seemed like a good education to me.. Too bad Antwerpen is too far away for me Can you tell me a bit about it? Maybe I'll go crazy one day and decide to go anyway

What do you want to know? You could always add me on msn, it'd probably be easier... You know, Dutch and all

I'm going to pm you my addy... You can choose wether you add it or not
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
what i might do is take a class in guitar building, building bodies, necks etc.. electronics, or well im not sure lol
i plan on doing record enginnering, still looking at schools but i've got some time so its all good
Quote by Chikitty_China
Well, when I'm fapping, I sometimes look at my left hand and wonder what could have been ....
I don't think you should consider it odd thay ou have to take piano. EVERY music major at Iowa State University has to take piano, as they should (2 semesters or 4, I can't remember).

But I'm double-majoring in Electrical Engineering and Computer Engineering with a minor in music. Maybe I should just switch to music, I don't know. I think next semester will help me decide what I want to do with the rest of my life...

I was a music major. Started with Classical guitar performance. Switched to Jazz in the second year becasue I wanted to play my electric. Then went to JU and studied under the much esteemed DR William Schirmer as a Composition student.

All I can say is, I loved the time I spent with Dr Schirmer, he opened my eyes to so much. But, other than that, unless you are planning on teaching or getting into a situation like military band, music school can only do so much for you. A great avant guard jazz composer and mentor to me named Matt Butler once said "If music were religion, music school would be Satan".

However, if you major in something else, and use music as a tool to get a scholarship, that is a different story. But it is hard to juggel. When I was a music major we were required to take 15 credit hours worht of courses (12 is considered full time) per term. Music is one of the most demanding majors, you have all of the work of any academic major, plus practicing your instrument, plus required trips for band or orchestra, etc.... If you love all that stuff, then it is an invaluable experience.
Last edited by spaivxx at Jun 15, 2006,
hey guys 'm in ma a lvls currently .. after tht i wanna do engineerin ..(may b aerospace) . but i also wanna master metal .. (black metal .. death n all)
can nione help me out with it?
I'm going to a tech college after getting kicked out of the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee for poor grades for the last two semesters. Anyway, I'll be studying Music (more specifically, their program is called "Music Occupations") and then possibly returning to the university to finish up my degree