I just got a Marshall TSL 60w head with a 1960a cab a week ago and I've been fiddling around with the knobs ever since and cannot get a metal tone. It simply feels like there is no crunch when palm muting, it's more of a thud. Now I tried my same guitar, sg standard on my friends marshall 100hdfx, and I can get the perfect metal tone. I'm competely surprised and confused that my friends MG can sound better than my amp. Although I don't have a problem with the MG series it just makes sense to me that a TSL would sound better. Any ideas on what to do?
learn what the knobs actually do... you might want to try raising the gain

(btw im not trying to be a smartass)
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
turn all the knobs down and start fiddling with every knob one at a time. then start mixing and matching.

i think there was a thread somewhere where they discussed different amp settings. go search it.
I've looked everywhere, and I'm on the lead channel with the gain all the way up. I even tried scooping the mids.
you could look at the manual...they usually have different settings laid out for you...
if you don't have one...there's probably one online...
Et Nomeni Patri, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti.
Yeah that helps a little. What about and OD pedal? Would that help? The concept seems silly because I'd be trying to match the gain of a 100w solid state amp.
The TSL is not a very good metal amp IMO.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Turn the gain down, it doesn't need to be on 10. It's probably muddying it up.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Quote by SamDking
Turn the gain down, it doesn't need to be on 10. It's probably muddying it up.

smartest thing said all day
Tried that, that helps a little but still doesn't provide that "chunk". Guess it's time to look for an OD pedal.
try this, put the gain around 2-3 o'clock, scoop the mids, put the bass at about 12 o'clock and the treble around 2 o'clock
Just tried that. Didn't help at all...This makes no sense. I tried the same settings with my friends amp and it sounded better with his.
how loud is the master volume?

you'll probably want to get the power tubes going a little bit.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
hm, what guitar are you using? how much out put do the pick ups have?
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Gibson SG Standard. 498T in the bridge and a 490R in the neck. According to Gibson's website, they are designed for modern rock so they should have a higher output than most of their other pickups.
well i'm stupped. the TSL isn't much of a metal amp, but you should at least be able to beat an MG with it. try picking harder?
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

I've tried pretty much everything...I guess it's not really not that big of a deal, I'll eventually figure it out. I play pretty much everything from clean to metallica like distortion. I was just having trouble with the metal tone. Plus the pickups in my guitar aren't the best. They actually sound very muddy and tinny and very soon I'll be swapping them with 57 classics. Even though they are less output they should sound warmer and fuller.
channel volume full master on half.
Gear: Yamaha AES 620 Equipped with SD JB+APH-1
Fender American Deluxe V-Neck Equipped with BKP Mothers Milk
Fender Pro Jr., Traynor YCV 50, Diamond J-Drive MK3, Fulltone 70's Fuzz, Teese RMC Wizard Wah, Boss dd-3, Boss CE-5, Korg DT-10 pedal tuner.