ok correct me if i'm wrong but isn't pent. a shortened version of diat.

so is there a point to learnin the pent. scales?

well all help will be appreciated
Quote by Metal-X
But last time I cranked my amp up. A small bird flew by at the same time I did a pinch harmonic.... and it exploded....

Too Late
The major pentatonic is the major scale minus the 4th and 7th tone and so forth.

They're completely different scales with completely different tonal properties... I'm not sure I've understood your question properly, but yes - there is a point to learning pentatonic scales.
cool thx
Quote by Metal-X
But last time I cranked my amp up. A small bird flew by at the same time I did a pinch harmonic.... and it exploded....

Too Late
Quote by Deubener-PL
the tonic chord for a pentatonic is different from the diatonic major isnt it?

I don't think so... if anything the chord would 'suit' the pentatonic more closely as there's no tension creating notes (4th and 7th)... which will give a more stable sound and fit around the chord perfectly.
Quote by Johnljones7443
I don't think so... if anything the chord would 'suit' the pentatonic more closely as there's no tension creating notes (4th and 7th)... which will give a more stable sound and fit around the chord perfectly.

exactly.
im pretty sure using a minor pentatonic, say bm pent, over a bm chord will work in any key, so sometimes the bm minor scale won't work because it would clash with the key you're in. EG:
your in the key of G maj.
you play a bm chord, dont use the bm scale it will clash, you could either use the b dorian mode over it, or the bm pentatonic, i'm pretty sure - its mostly guessed but i think its good!
cheers
all in all, pentatonics kind of cheating your way around using the full scale
- tommy
Last edited by tombomb22 at Jul 15, 2006,
^ and chinese and indian, not to mention jazz and fusion of all sorts. Dont forget, you can also use the "wrong" pentatonics to play seriously outside.

If you're playing in C major, Eb minor pent has Eb, Gb, Ab, Bb, Db - all the notes that AREN'T in C major, hence major dissonant pwnage!