Yeah... I've been planning on getting a Peavey 6505 head and cab for quite some time... And after lots of waiting... And lots of working... I have finally come to the conlusion that it will probbaly take me about 10 years to save up for it. So. I was wondering would a Peavey Valveking be able to make high gain sounds. I'll add a pedal or two if needed, I'm really just looking for a high quality valve amp as cheap as possible.

I've been on the site and listened to sound clips... But from experience, I've learnt that the actual product sounds a lot different than the sound clips... I lost £50 cos of that buying a stupid pedal which sounds like a horse farting.

Back on the point though... How is the Valveking Half-Stack?
Well, the 6505 combo or a used 5150 combo would sell for about the same as a VK 1/2 stack and be a much better metal amp all around.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Quote by Crunchmeister
Well, the 6505 combo or a used 5150 combo would sell for about the same as a VK 1/2 stack and be a much better metal amp all around.

Nah I don't think it would... A VK half stack would cost £510 altogether.. And the 6505/5150 combo costs £1100..

=/

I'm gonna be putting pedals into the VK if I can't get enough gain out of it anyway so I'm just asking for people opinions at the moment.
oh you're in the the UK.

that's a whole new ball game. peavey are MASSIVLY overpriced in the U.K. have you looked into laney amps?
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
If you're in the UK, look on US ebay. You can probably find some Peavey amps on the cheap there.
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
^ but after shipping and having to buy an adapter, it wont make much of a difference.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
yeah it would be way to expensive for a peavey over there
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
what tones are you after? As everyone says, Peavey are horribly overpriced in the UK.

For £510, you could probably swing a laney gh50 halfstack- the head is about £350, so that leaves you £150 for the cab- I'd go second hand...

what type of tones are you after? and what's the absolute maximum cash you can get your hands on in a reasonably short period of time (say, 6 months)?

What's your current rig?

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Check my sig... You can tell why I'm asking about new gear =/

Metal tones... I was looking at the Laney GH100L (or something) where its like a single channel amp and footswitchable gains... Very cheap.. Sounds schmexy... If I don't like it that much I can always boost the drive... I just want a tube amp to lat me until I'm rich and famous =P (if that ever happens)
*cough* ENGL *cough*
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Quote by joel_grieve
*cough* ENGL *cough*

I would so go for an ENGL combo... But after all UK = Rip-off.
yeah i spose, i thought they were cheap over there?
oh and try living in australia. uk is cheap compared to here.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
maybe even a marshall dsl401 combo?

you're kind of in the limbo between the tube combos and halfstacks, money wise- £400 will buy you a tube combo, but you need more like £600-£700 to get a decent tube halfstack.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Get a head and 2x12 cab, that way you can upgrade later to a 4x12 cab yet you can still work with an amplifier head. problem solved.

BTW look at the Laney GH heads, they own.
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
Get a head and 2x12 cab, that way you can upgrade later to a 4x12 cab yet you can still work with an amplifier head. problem solved.

BTW look at the Laney GH heads, they own.

good point, yeah, a 2x12 might cut the price down just enough. there's a company in the UK, award session i think, that make custom cabs for pretty good prices, you may want to look into that- i haven't tried them though.

^ why aren't you sure about the laneys?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Untitled001
The ENGL Screamer 50 combo is only £730..... It's one to consider...

Dude, If you're after a 5150/6505 tone, an ENGL amplifier is NOT the one you want to look at. ABSOLUTELY. POSITIVELY. NO.

The screamer 50 is hardly even very 'metal'

Seriously look at the ****in Laney amps, they own.
^ agreed, genocide.

I don't like the way it's graduated from guys like me, genocide, danno, derek etc. recommending engl amps for people looking for specific tones to all the copycats chiming "engl are the best amps for any type of metal ever, and all of them are metal amps".

I probably am to blame for the popularity of engls here, but at least I've tried them and made up my own mind that I like them. EDIT: and put my money where my mouth is and forked out for one.

I know I frequently recommend the screamer for metal, but that's normally to people in the UK where you don't have very much other choice in that price range- the screamer is still one of the most metal tube amps for its price. And I also don't recommend it if someone wants a 5150 tone.

As genocide says, look at the laneys. Still won't do a 5150 sound 100%, but will be closer than an engl- laney high gain amps kind of remind me of a cross between an engl and a recto/5150 (for a very basic description).

EDIT: just to throw it out there, if you're after a dark-ish 5150 tone, the ashdown fallen angel might be worth a look. The screamer and the laneys are much better amps, IMO, but not for the 5150 tone- at least in the case of the screamer.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 15, 2006,
Exactly, too many people have hopped on the ENGL boner. They are super bright amps, and they get recommended to someone looking at 5150s?? WTF

Id agree with the Laney, as they are really great amps. I havnt heard one, but ive heard good things of the ashdown.
The Ashdown Fallen Angel 180 head is roughly the same thing as a 5150/6505

The only difference would be the amount of gain, being that the 6505 would beat out the Fallen Angel...but still they both have as much usable gain then you will ever need.
yeah. i didn't recommednd the engl for its ability to sound like a 6505, i just recommended it because its good......which looking back was somewhat retarded.

really with all the other amps your looking at it'd just be better to save up for a bit longer and get a 6505. you may not like that idea but you'd be better with the real thing.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
If worst comes to worst (or if you're still fixated on ENGL) an EQ pedal can darken the tone up a bit.

Cheating, yes, but its a possible solution.

Still, as the guys have been saying, and Ashdown Fallen Angel would be great. Or you could just troll eBay and hope to hell that somebody's 5150 falls off the back of a truck, shatters the tubes and smashes the grill.
^ Nah, the ENGL doesn't have enough girth to it to do a plausable 5150 tone. Maybe if you slapped on some kind of nice OD pedal and then an EQ might work.

Its pretty hard to get something to imitate a 5150, thats all I can say about it.

EDIT:

Danno havent you heard 5150s are imprevious to falling out of trucks? Someone already told a story about how was bumped out the back of their pickup and survived with only tolex scarring. haha.
the engl doesn't have enough low mids and bass?
i'm trying to learn.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Agreed. I was just saying that since he seems to want an ENGL despite our advice (wow, how often can I say THAT?) he could get a bit closer to a 5150 tone, i.e. dark, with an EQ in the FX loop.

EDIT to Joel: I think it's just a focus on high mids rather than a lack of low ones.

EDIT to Brad: Fine, a helicopter then.
^ haha, yeah.

anyway, i know I can eq my engl to not be really bright. There's a definite girth there. But it sounds nothing like (a) a recto or (b) a 5150. EQ might do it (I think d man said it did) but as danno says that's kinda cheating, lol. Not really, but if you know you want an amp for a certain tone, you're better to just get an amp aimed at that tone. Oh, and even eq-ing all the treble away (almost- I run my mids and bass on 9, and treble on 3) there's still a punchy brightness there that's unmistakeably "engl". There's almost like a hi-fi quality to the tone. Which is what I love about engls- but also means it won't sound like a 5150 etc., at least without some outside help, like an eq... EDIT: the engls have plenty of bass, joel (maybe not just as much as a 5150, but still loads). Room-shaking bass- i think it's the low mids they're missing, or at least the frequency the mid knob operates at (or as danno says, there are more high mids).

I dunno about the 5150/6505. It just goes against my grain to pay what they ask for one here- the 6505+ is £999 afaik, and if you shop around you can get a powerball for that. Which pretty much pwns the 5150/6505 (IMO) for everything except the 5150/6505 signature tone... and I'm not saying this from a hating perspective of the 5150, I actually quite like it too- just I like the powerball better.

up to the threadstarter though- if untitled won't be happy until he gets a 5150, then he might as well get one, or he'll just be chopping and changing amps till he finally bites the bullet and gets one. But I'd try out as many other amps in a similar price range (framus, cheaper mesas, engl, laney, ashdown, etc.) as you can- just in case you AREN'T dead-set on a 5150...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
is framus in his price range?^
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Well theres a few things about 5150s that people don't understand- they arent really bassy. My Powerball is hugely bassy in comparison to my 5150. Its got alot of low-mids, not really for a dark tone, but it adds alot of girth, think of it sounding like a marshall, except voiced differently, using different power tubes, and biased real cold in comparison, giving it a 'darker' tone.

As far as amps sounding like it- none will. The 5150 is a 5150, as far as I know nothing else sounds like it (tho if you mod a 5150 extensively it starts to sound like a Bogner Uberschall in a way...) If you WANT the 5150 tone, you wont get it anywhere else. Now, if you're just buying it because its a cheaper, highly reccomended metal amp.. you might be able to get a better tone elsewhere... For the money try a Laney since you're over there in europe, they're great amps.

ENGL, as far as I've heard/played/whatever, don't have the 'girth' that a 5150 has. You really have to hear it in person to respect how incredibly thick these amplifiers are. A powerball cuts... well a 5150 crushes. You really have to pick your poison when comparing them. An EQ will only go so far to change the voicing, after that you still have a cold bias and a ****load of gain that you can't get with a screamer combo.

To put it into perspective think of something like... the Alice in Chains song "We Die Young" You'd think the song is tracked to hell and back- due to the depth of the tone... I can nail it pretty easily on my 5150. Same goes with In Flames, Arch Enemy, ETC, they've all got huge sounding tones on their records yet they don't really have to track much to get it... It really throws its weight around...

And to Danno-

Helicopter is an acceptable answer. Haha.
^ yeah, that's pretty much what I was trying to say, just in a much less articulate way, Genocide, lol.

as you said, it boils down to this:

if you want the 5150 tone, buy one, regardless of whether I or anyone else said they aren't great value in europe.

if you just want a good high gain tone, make sure you try all those other brands as well, since they're all good in their own way.

And even if you think you want a 5150 and nothing else, try the others just to see. It may just reinforce your conviction that you want a 5150, and as long as you have a clear picture as to what amp you want at the end of your testing, it's mission accomplished.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ haha

why do I get the feeling that I'm going to have to keep looking upwards to dodge 5150's being dropped by helicopter now?

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dude, what about all the crap about 5150 biased too cold and sh1t ??

Can the Dual Rect do 5150 or the other way around... ???
Which one has a better lead tone, 5150II/6505, Dual Rect, B-Uberschall, don't you go all talkin bout the clean channel and sh1t !!

Thx once again, long live melodic death metal !!
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
^ well, a recto would be closer to a 5150 than an engl, for example, but they still sound characteristically "different".

Dunno about the bogner, haven't tried one. the 5150 probably has a better lead tone than a recto (EVH!) but I'm not really certain, since I haven't tried them head to head to compare that...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Recto lead tones haven't amazed me, but then again I haven't spent as much time fighting their EQs as some other guys on here.
^ agreed- the last time I tried a recto, I fiddled a lot more with the eq, and it did sound damn good.

But I didn't get to try any other "boutique" amp that was in the same league (i only tried the ashdown FA, marshall tsl, various £300-£500 tube combos), so of course it was gonna sound good.

I dunno. I'd like to get to play all those boutique amps head to head, it's not really a fair comparison when I've tried them days (or weeks!) apart...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?