neck positions? cuz it looks like i can get an 85 cheaper than an 81.

and if it's pertinent info, my guitar is a typical strat body. blonde wood with a light, horizontal grain pattern
85 sounds good if your body is made out of mahogany, otherwise its too thin in my opinion.
I heard someone say it could get muddy too
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
well, it certainly isn't mahogany. maybe i'll just start out with the 1 85 in the bridge
the guy from killswitch uses an 85 in the bridge spot. How does he sound? Ive never heard them so I dont know myself.
it's not good with basswood so try and find out if you can, on the other hand. you can swap it out anyday and replace it by another emg.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
I thought they were the same price. If i was you i would get both the 81 and 85. 85 for the neck and 81 for the bridge. thats what im doing but like FretboardToAsh said it sounds better with a mahogany body like i have.
"Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it." ~Henry David Thoreau
Mr Knopfler has an 85/SA/SA combo in his Pensa Suhr, which is mahogany w/maple top, and that sounds great.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
It really depends on what tone your looking for. I assume you're going for an all-out distortion, so I'd go with the 81 in the bridge. It's brighter and good for lead work.

But if you're not going for balls-to-the-wall gain lol, you could try the 85 at the bridge. Personally I'd play it safe and go for the 81.
I enjoy a hearty roast dinner...

...for breakfast.
Quote by sethp
it's from ebay

i would never ever buy non magnetic pickups from ebay. if something is screwed up it is so much harder to get working again (from my experence with broken active pickups)
Quote by lou_dog69
i would never ever buy non magnetic pickups from ebay. if something is screwed up it is so much harder to get working again (from my experence with broken active pickups)

actually, my main concern was that it is stolen merch. cuz the product is "new in box"

but why are emg's only good in mahogany wood?
get an 81 in the bridge and the 85 for the neck. only use the 85 with the 81 for rhythm (or just the 81). And then use the 85 only for lead.
Check Out:Stack Of Noises
My SoundClick

Mesa/Boogie Single Rectifier Rectoverb
American Fender Limited Edition
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Jackson Professional Rhoads EX EMGs
Pod XT Live
Marshall AVT20
1984 Peavey Pacer
Boss NS-2
Quote by sethp
actually, my main concern was that it is stolen merch. cuz the product is "new in box"

but why are emg's only good in mahogany wood?

its not that guy is full of ****.

those pickups could make a peice of driftwood sound good, also they give you sweet add ons that you can put on. check out the emg home page for them all
^ idk bout the drift wood

but i have a basswood schecter omen 06 wtih a 81/85 combo- and i perfer the 85 in the bridge cuz i play alot of blues- and its just really good for that tone- and the 85 sounds good in the neck as well- i like neck pups for metal leads - and it has really good bite.

but a good amp is a must

no crates, or marshalls, and tube is perfered
My Schecter has an 81 in the bridge and an 85 in the neck. I bought them from Ebay as the Zack Wylde package with no problems. I prefer the 81 in the bridge, but if you want example of what an 85 in the bridge would sound like then check out Shadows Fall. I'm pretty sure both guitarists use 85's in the bridge. Thats what I read in an old issue of Guitar world anyways. Its something about they like the midrange boost the 85 has compared to the 81 I think.