I'm literally like 2 weeks off buying a Stingray, and I can't decide between the 2 and 3 EQ versions.

Obviously the 3EQ is more versatile with the added 'mid' knob, but I've heard that it doesn't sound as good as the 2EQ, mainly in the punch region. Has anyone got any first hand experience?
Musicman Stingray 3EQ
i havnt heard about that, but i know personally i would hate not having the Mids knob.

maybe this comment is just from people who arent used to adjusting their mids on their bass that much and dont know how to get a punchy tone with one?
Quote by Nikklaus
I'm literally like 2 weeks off buying a Stingray, and I can't decide between the 2 and 3 EQ versions.

Obviously the 3EQ is more versatile with the added 'mid' knob, but I've heard that it doesn't sound as good as the 2EQ, mainly in the punch region. Has anyone got any first hand experience?

I've owned both 2 & 3 band EQ Stingrays, the 3 band is better IMHO.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Yea, if I had wanted to go for a 2 Band EQ I would have probably gone for an SUB. The stingray loses quite a bit of its versitality with the 2 band. As my 'Ray was a jump of about 1200 bucks from my previous bass (a 2 band passive) I may be overstating the importance, but for me it was one of the more attractive features.

Can't wait to see photos. =D
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
Quote by John Swift
I've owned both 2 & 3 band EQ Stingrays, the 3 band is better IMHO.

Thanks! That's means a lot to me, with your experience and specified experience with Stingrays! I'd really like the 3EQ. Did you not notice a difference in punch?

Musicman Stingray 3EQ
Quote by Nikklaus
Thanks! That's means a lot to me, with your experience and specified experience with Stingrays! I'd really like the 3EQ. Did you not notice a difference in punch?

I did find the 3 band to have more punch it is totaly diferent and really worth the extra, you'll regret it later if you don't go for 3.
Regards John Swift
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by John Swift
I did find the 3 band to have more punch it is totaly diferent and really worth the extra, you'll regret it later if you don't go for 3.
Regards John Swift

Nice, I reckon I'll go with it... I do already have enough money for it.

Cheers
Musicman Stingray 3EQ
The only people who are gonna say that 2band EQ is better than 3 is those that don't understand sound as a phenomenon, are deaf, or have no understanding of sonic sculpting =)))

During my studio days I remember some guys who played their active basses at "10"...