Hey guys, im still learnign different techniques to playing guitar, and one i don't know how to play is palm muting. Can somebody explain to me how its done?
You put the side of your palm just barely on the strings to get a chunky sound.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
www.guitarplayertv.com

find it in there somewhere
Guitars:
Parkwood PW320M
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone C-40 willie nelson signature
Squier Strat
Some beat up acoustic from '68

Amps:
Vox Ad50vt
Crate xt15r

Effects:
Vox Clyde McCoy Wah
Well for a power chord, play it normally, but instead of pressing down on the frets, just lay your hand over the strings, so that is doesnt play the note, and that its not open.
like said, ^and strum the top strings for that thick sound
also, it sounds better if uve got a humbucker and raise ur gain.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
The term palm-muting can be a bit misleading. For power chords you don't actually use your palm, rather the side of your palm. Place the lower edge of your hand on the bridge slightly overhanging the strings. Your hand's contact with the strings dampens the sound enabling you to play short percussive strokes.

If you are pendulum strumming, palm-muting is a little bit different. Here you strum a chord and immediately strike the heel of your hand against the strings, creating a "chuck" sound. You can create all sorts of lively percussive-sounding patterns by adding muted beats.

American Stratocaster + Blues Junior

Last edited by Armored Artist at Jun 14, 2006,
Quote by TJM2482
Well for a power chord, play it normally, but instead of pressing down on the frets, just lay your hand over the strings, so that is doesnt play the note, and that its not open.

im pretty sure thats not the same as palm muting..

Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
He said palm muting. That's exactly how I described it, as well as how Armored Artist described it. The side of your hand slightly in front of the bridge creates the chunky palm muted sound.

The other things described won't sound the same, but are still excellent skills to learn.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by Xenn99
He said palm muting. That's exactly how I described it, as well as how Armored Artist described it. The side of your hand slightly in front of the bridge creates the chunky palm muted sound.

The other things described won't sound the same, but are still excellent skills to learn.

idk if u were directing that at me or not, but i know what palm muting is, and yea ur right, i meant what that other dude said about not pressing down on the frets as hard isnt the same palm muting

Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
Quote by TJM2482

Youre talking about muting the strings and muting =/= palm muting. Muting the strings was popular in grunge, while palm muting is punk.