Ok so this guy who works at my local music shop makes guitars, so i was there playin a lp-100 and i ask what the dif. between a lp-100 and std. is (dont answer i alrddy know, 1 step above in everything) and he says look at this one. Its a custom (as in the series of customs) black les paul BUT its his brand. so i played it, but i dont think it'll last long. So do i go with the brand name guitar that i know will last, or take his guitar?
depending on your budget maybe you can buy the lp100 because of the brand and then upgrade everything. thats just my opinion tho
Quote by crash_course
depending on your budget maybe you can buy the lp100 because of the brand and then upgrade everything. thats just my opinion tho

and they only have that one les paul, cuz i could EASILY afford an ep lp-100 hell i can afford a std (ebony)
Theres literally no specs about the guitar, and the desciption is all marketing jargon, it could be made out of agathis or something

the allen guitars one

try out an agile al-3000, or an epi les paul plain top
Skip both and go for the Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top. It's $400, right in your price range.

My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Last edited by Xenn99 at Jun 14, 2006,
^+3. Great guitar
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
but my question for the plain top is, if its better how come it has one type of body mat but its cheaper then the standards bursts and transluecents?
its cheaper because the plain maple used for the top is a hell of a lot cheaper than the flamed or quilted on the others.....

aas per all my prior comments on this guitar..... it is terrific but the pickups feel lifeless, id recomend a change down the line in pickups, but the craftsmanship on this guitar can't be beat!!! its WAY above regular epiphone par in every way, and with the exception of the pickups is way better than the 3 agiles i've played......(agiles were an AL-2000, and 2 AL-2500s)
ummmmmmmmm i getting a knew one so i dont have to change the pickups on my guitar, in my first thread i stated that i have a strat and i need hb's but i dont wanna change the pu's got reccommended a lp by my teacher and im asking you guys...
^ well the pickups aren't dead lifeless... they just aren't as good as say, Duncans

most people could live with them.........

But then I'm picky, i think the only reason I've been playing my squires for so long is that I have yet to find a sub-$1000 guitar i LOVE....... I mean, when it came time for an acoustic i got a 50 year old archtop, because it was the only thing which got the tone I dreamed about.....

Actually.... as far as new guitars go I'd say the holy grail of tone is a Fender Custom Shop Relic 56 strat......
1. i have a $400 spending limit

and

2. does the fact that the plain top only has one mat lesser the sound quality/tone compared to the std?
Quote by Arlabester
so my search for a MCR sounding guitar has ended! Epiphone Les Paul Std. Plain Top

well yeah.... the guys in MCR use epiphone elitists..... and the plain top is the best non-elitist epi.....

to nail their sound you'll need orange amps though......

and a vocalist who relies on WAY to much computer assistence in the studio......
hey was that a crack at gerard?

EDIT: He sounds exactly like that in concert, except he ALWAYs swears, but they use marshall amps..... so why get an orange?
Quote by Keef-is-king
^no standards..... their alder core ruins LP tone

???? WTF?????? english plz...
^YES! BY GEORGE HE'S GOT IT!

I couldn't resist.

Yes, the LP Std. Plain Top will be your closest bet to an MCR sound without getting their same guitars (Epi Elitist LP Customs and Standards..).

The mahogany that the plain top is made of will sound much better than the alder/mahogany body on the normal standard. It will have better tone because it's all mahogany, better sustain because it won't have a slab of alder and glue in the middle, and the same great feel that the regular standard has. Plus, I'm assuming that the plain maple top on the Std. Plain top is thicker than the flame maple veneer on the regular std. Otherwise they wouldn't have put it on. It's not figured, so it's not there for looks. That means it's there for sound.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
The transparent amber w/ chrome hardware looks sexy. Save up another $100 and get that one.
Quote by Arlabester
hey was that a crack at gerard?

EDIT: He sounds exactly like that in concert, except he ALWAYs swears, but they use marshall amps..... so why get an orange?

when i saw them open for Green Day they sounded terrible......

and thee live concert they had on FUSE recently didn't sound so good vocally, although frank iero has cleaned up his playing quite a bit, Ray Toro has always been an alright player though......

Gerard's studio vocals sound alright, but anything live i've seen from him sounded BAD
Quote by Xenn99

I couldn't resist.

Yes, the LP Std. Plain Top will be your closest bet to an MCR sound without getting their same guitars (Epi Elitist LP Customs and Standards..).

The mahogany that the plain top is made of will sound much better than the alder/mahogany body on the normal standard. It will have better tone because it's all mahogany, better sustain because it won't have a slab of alder and glue in the middle, and the same great feel that the regular standard has. Plus, I'm assuming that the plain maple top on the Std. Plain top is thicker than the flame maple veneer on the regular std. Otherwise they wouldn't have put it on. It's not figured, so it's not there for looks. That means it's there for sound.

HOLY CRAP.... someone knows what theyre talking about, ty ...oh and ROCK ON!
Quote by Xenn99

I couldn't resist.

and thank you Xenn99 for repeating everrything I told you way back wwhen these guitars first came out and i expalined how great they were to you..... I was too lazy to explain it again, so thanks.
Quote by Keef-is-king
when i saw them open for Green Day they sounded terrible......

and thee live concert they had on FUSE recently didn't sound so good vocally, although frank iero has cleaned up his playing quite a bit, Ray Toro has always been an alright player though......

Gerard's studio vocals sound alright, but anything live i've seen from him sounded BAD

dude listen to the life on the murder scene live performances
Quote by Xenn99

I couldn't resist.

something funny... someone said if i got this it would sound nothing like MCR and my best bet is a strat...
Lostfuze, he's looking at the LP Standard PLAIN TOP now. Not the regular standard. The Plain Top blows it out of the water.

And Arlabester, The regular standard has an alder center. What that does is kills the tone. The tone with LP's comes from a nice, thick slab of mahogany. The regular standard has two half inch thick pieces of mahogany with a one inch thick piece of alder in the middle for the body. The LP Stanard Plain Top, however, has a two inch thick piece of mahogany for the body instead. This gives it a MUCH better sound than the regular standard.

Go for the Plain Top. It's a much better guitar than the regular standard.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by Keef-is-king
^ that is an awesome smiley.....

def. get the plain top...... and in a year or so put in some gibson pickups or duncans.... and you should be golden......

MCR is an alright guitar band as far as emo goes.... so it makes sense that they have decent gear.....

cool i will (and yes yes they are, this sounds sad, but toro's my fave guitarist, just listen to the thank you for the venom opening, my teacher playing for 43 years CAN'T play that )

EDIT i was actaullt looking at the dimarzio tonezone and paf pro pickups was gonna put on my strat, but didnt (mines a discontinued, color told not to modify by teacher)
Last edited by Arlabester at Jun 15, 2006,
^Agreed.

Edit: Damn late posting. I meant I agree with Keef's last post about the pickup change...
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar