i'm just now learning this technique, and i'm wondering if anyone could tell how long it took them to get half way decent at sweep picking?
From not being able to sweep, to perfectly clean and articulated sweeps - 2 years.

Don't rush sweep picking.
Quote by Johnljones7443
From not being able to sweep, to perfectly clean and articulated sweeps - 2 years.

Don't rush sweep picking.

listen to this dude. learning the technique wrong will **** you up when you move on to harder stuff in the future. you will have to relearn it which basically means it'll take two times as long. it may seem like a long time to learn (everyone learns differently) but in the long run, you will see it's not so long.

and it took me maybe 1 1/2 year, and i started soon. i knew from the start it was one of the things i wanted to do, but i had to focus on alternate picking and hammerons and pulloffs first (about 6 months to be realllly good at it)
Quote by .:METALJIM:.
a week !!!!!!!!!!!!!

ehh... let me hear your sweeps

i don't doubt you, it took about that long for slow, how FAST is the question?
Quote by spuime4c1es
ehh... let me hear your sweeps

i don't doubt you, it took about that long for slow, how FAST is the question?

How clean is the question...
For me, it was not a matter of really focusing on it for a long time. The way I learn various techniques is to slowly incorperate them into my playing bit by bit. I also was learning this stuff when it was "in" back in the late 80s. I couldn't really say how long.

THe important thing is to really focus on clean execution, regardless of the tempo. Make sure to practice muting with the left and right hand together. Make sure that EVERY note in the arpeggio is clean.

One exercise that I did do a lot was to find a chart, say a tune like Giant Steps, and play arpeggios over the changes. Start with two notes per change, then progressively add. So in the Giant Steps example, the changes are every two beats, so you can start with just two notes per chord change, located on adjacent strings. Make sure you are playing clean, and that the notes do not bleed together, at the same time you don't want them to be gapped either. A nice smooth transition from note to note is the goal.

After you get the quarter note arpeggio playing down, step up to triplet quarters, then straight eighths, then triplet eighths, then straight 16ths and finally triplet 16ths.

Now, here is the thing, if you execute even straight 8ths at a moderate tempo, cleanly, it will sound sweet and you will be sounding better than 3/4 of the guitarists I hear attempting the technique. Get to triplet 8ths, you will turn heads. Get to 16ths, cleanly, and jaws will drop. Get to triplet 16ths, you will send all your buddies home to spend hours with their metronomes!!

That is the key, a metronome or basic click track to stay in time. Also, Good articulation is a must. Emphasis on the meter, strong note properly accented, etc..... This approach worked well for me because I am a very improvisational player, so improvising arppegios over a progression while employing the sweeping technique just felt natural.
Quote by Johnljones7443
How clean is the question...

yeah. my fault due to bad wording ^_^

you win.
2 months
Quote by Jimi Hendrix
The Blues Is Easy To Play But Hard To Feel.

Quote by Chris Impellitteri
I Promise That My Solos Will Only Get Faster.
[Practice Makes Perfect][Hell Yeah]
by the way is sweep picking were you just put a chord on and strum it?
Quote by tp600

No.
Quote by tp600
just a couple of days really but im the fastest learner i know
you're the guy who doesn't know what r the notes.
Quote by Jimi Hendrix

Last edited by Evil_Empire24-7 at Jun 15, 2006,
Quote by tp600

Please tell me that's sarcasm. I feel like crying
whats up with that emo?

Anyway i can do a bit of sweep picking, i love to mess about with it and create original songs
Getting really decent at sweep picking will take a while. JohnJones at 2 years
is probably in the ballpark. Although, IMO, it's a technique that you'll work on
for your entire life.

Anyone telling you it took days or a month or two is completely full of crap or
don't know what they're talking about.

It's WAY more than just sweeping arpeggio's or sloppily sweeping a chord
back and forth as fast as you can. Sometimes the fingering is really intricate
and difficult.

One of the hardest parts is keeping in time with different rythymic changes.
Just try setting your metronome for a moderate tempo (say 100 BPM) and
see how well you can change the sweep tempo from 8th note triplets to
16th notes....
Quote by tp600
whats up with that emo?

Anyway i can do a bit of sweep picking, i love to mess about with it and create original songs
just check out his stupid threads

Nooblet
Quote by Jimi Hendrix

It took me like 2months of solid 1-2 hours practice with a metrenome to get 3 string sweeps down..so really I'm still learning...I can do like 6 string sweeps now and that's like after a year of practising them among other things and I'm still not doing them too well.
'If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the Universe' - Carl Sagan.