Hey guys I just bought a metronome to practice my speed and stuff. However, i have no idea how a metronome is used. Maybe someone can link me to a site or a faq or something to figure this out. My metronome is a digital one, it has 3 functions to change the tempo, rythm and bps. However, i have no idea how the tempo and rythm functions work . Maybe if you guys would care to explain it it would help me out alot! Thanks in advance
If you're talking about how that specific metronome works, all I can suggest is that you read the directions for it.

If you want to know how to use a metronome to practice, I can help.

Start with a low speed, Practice anything in time. Whether that's a song, a scale, or even just playing a single note over and over, just play it in time. I recommend scales to start with. Once you can play the scale forwards and backwards at a lower speed, increase the speed by 5-10 bpm. Get the scale down front and back again at that speed. Keep increasing the speed until you max out the speed on the metronome. Learn every scale you know like this and you'll be able to play them at just about any speed.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
It is a clicking box that acts as a drummer in a box, it helps you ryhthmically
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.

"Arguing online is like racing in the Special Olympics- Even if
you win you're still retarded."

"You cant spell crap without rap"
I don't really understand timing either. Like should I be playing a note everytime in clicks or like 4 beats in between the clicks or what?
I'm wondering that too, do i play 1 note per beep i hear, or try to fit like 4 notes per beep type of deal.
Quote by jasonsol
I'm wondering that too, do i play 1 note per beep i hear, or try to fit like 4 notes per beep type of deal.

it depends on a lot of different things, like how fast you want to play and stuff. I'd recommend having an idea of music theory, mainly just how beats are counted, if you want the metronome to do anything for you

Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
you can do it either way, if you're playing faster as in a scale or some sort of pattern like that, then you're going to find it easier to just play several notes per beat rather than keeping up with each individual beat, and it's more practical that way too. so for example, if one click is one beat then you could play...eighth notes and fit two notes per beat, or play 16th notes and fit four notes per beat...whatever works best as long as you can count it out.

on the other hand if you're practicing switching between chords it might be easier to play one chord per beat with a faster beat.

hope that helps a bit man!
Quote by YYZ
I don't really understand timing either. Like should I be playing a note everytime in clicks or like 4 beats in between the clicks or what?

The metronome plays the main beats of the measure. That is, in 4/4 time, you're metronome is gonna be doing 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 and so on. So unless you feel like playing very fast quarter notes, play eigth or sixteenth notes over the quarter notes played by the metronome.
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust