this is NOT another pop and slap question thread. I personally cant stand popping and slapping, i dispise the sound and technique. But it seems like most bassists play pop and slap, like its the only way to play bass. I always play pick/fingers...is there anyone else on UG who doesnt like pop and slap?

..can I have intelligent replies..plz THNX
Quote by greendayguitar
Wow, that looks extremely good, thank you mcuhly RadioHead22, for your amazing gift of foodiness.

M E S H U G G A H
I love slap bass. What is it that you don't like about it?
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
I love it too, but have friends who hate it.
mind you they are strictly metal guitarists, that means C5 D5 F5

Ive never understood how anyone could dislike it, but it seems like a case of "I cant do it so i hate it"

is this you RadioHead22, or do you have a legitimate reason for disliking it
Wow, maybe you like slapping because you're a Chilis fan...
Personally, I find it annoying in certain types of music; I find it really obnoxious sometimes. I prefer playing with a pick; I dislike playing bass with fingers.
Quote by Kartman
I love slap bass. What is it that you don't like about it?

i just dont like the fact that its so popular...its kinda like a stereotype"every bassist does slap bass"....you could even say i just want to be different....

EDIT: its not a "i cant do it therefore i hate it " kinda thing either
Quote by greendayguitar
Wow, that looks extremely good, thank you mcuhly RadioHead22, for your amazing gift of foodiness.

M E S H U G G A H
Last edited by RadioHead22 at Jun 14, 2006,
Quote by FeatherBreeze
I love it too, but have friends who hate it.
mind you they are strictly metal guitarists, that means C5 D5 F5

i wrote this one kickass metal solo once...first the guitar did its thing, then i wrote ina bass solo....in pop and slap. i wrote it fingerpicking, and just tried it.....it was quite the deal

i enjoy slap and pop. i dont overdo, i maen, ya cant have it in every song

and as for that "stereotype" of all bassists slap and pop...i havent met many who can really do it all that well

that said, motherpluck away
Quote by Metalology

................../´¯/)
...............,/¯..//
............./....//
....../´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
.../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
.('( ...´(..´......,~/'...')
..\.................\/..../
...''...\.......... _.·´
....\..........(

bassmonkey16@nexopia
Quote by RadioHead22
i just dont like the fact that its so popular...its kinda like a stereotype"every bassist does slap bass"....you could even say i just want to be different....

EDIT: its not a "i cant do it therefore i hate it " kinda thing either

tbh, liking it on how popular it is, is pretty shallow?? i know you said you dont like the sound so it's fair enough, but try not to let what you like be influenced by popularity =]

i love it when it's done right, but the amount of people who are wannabe's and do it for show *puke*

also, i (9/10 times) can't stand the sound of a pick, sounds sloppy, and you cant hear the real note (you can hear the pick sound on string, not the note on its own like with fingers)
Originally posted by Liamy
I kicked a puppy before, but only because it was really annoying.
stop whining, if you dont like it then dont use it, and besides even though most people know how to slap there is more people that dont slap in the music that they write than people who do slap.
You can't spell slaughter without laughter
I love playing with slap and pop, most of the times it's approprate, other times a do it to tick off our rythm guitarest, he doesn't like it, of course half the time he's not even paying attention. But in some styles it's not really the right style to use I.e folk, polka(long story) and I don't hear it to often in blues.
you should learn all styles of playing so that you can and learn to use them in one area or another. certain songs sound great slapped but if it is played to much it can get annoying. it adds more accent to the notes. the steriotyping is annoying though, everyone expects bassist to slap the crap outa their bass every time they pick it up.
....../ `---____________|] ~~~bang!
...../_==o;;;;;;;;_____.:/
.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// (..) ), ----"
...//___//
..//___//
Personally there is nothing more i like that a pure bass tone, plucked with my fingers. But slap is another style of bass that i love. How can you not love that twang when you pop a string? oooh yeah, sounds so sweet. I think kids wanting to be Flea hasn't helped, and i know what you mean it can be overdone. I remember in the Bass Wars people who were (supposed to be) playing Funk ended up slapping and popping and it was crap, because that style is so rarely used. I have one song in which there is four bars of slap and pop, and only in the extended live version we do. Other than that, i only use it for my own aural pleasure.

Slap: Love it or Loathe it, you'd be mad not to Love it.
Slap and pop are appropriate sometimes a pop can be used when a the guitarist does a pinched harmonic, and a slap can be used when the guitarist is palm muting.

THE TREND IS DEAD!
Its cool once in a while, but if you overdo it, its just lame. And I feel that if you are going to slap in a band setting, do it to benefit the song, not just to show off.

And make sure your slap lines sound NOTHING like Les Claypool and Victor Wooten.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
I love slap, but I don't do it so much because I'm getting into tapping.and when I do slap, I don't go as fast as I ****ing can, I do it so it sounds good. but to each their own.
It's just another Bass technique... albeit popular, but if you don't like it and think it's too popular, why not just not play it rather than complaining when it's clear that 90% of bassists do like it and probably won't agree with you.
Musicman Stingray 3EQ
kids in my guitar class seem to think If you don't constantly slap the bass every note then you suck..... and that flea is the best bass player thats ever lived. That's probably why I don't like the whole slapping thing. It still has its place among other techiques; finger picking, using a pick, bowing, whatever...... With my fretless you can't slap it. It would tear apart the flatwounds after a while. It has a lot to do with musical genres. I prefer music that doesnt involve a lot of slapping. People (like in my guitar class) that like RHCP slap....a lot...too much. If you like classical you might bow your bass. Propbably an upright though.
^Thats one of those kids you just want to slap. I agree with you 100%.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
I like flea's slap n pop technique in his RHPC songs, ...but only in his RHPC songs. I absolutely hate all the flea wannabe's that ive met that believe you have to beat your strings into oblivion in order to be a "good" and "cool" bassist.

Like others have said its good when used sparingly, however its just plain annoying if its the focus of a song. Even Flea doesn't go overboard with it nowadays.

Also I love it when I ask friends and other folks if they want to hear some funk stuff and they automatically assume that its going to exclusively include slap and say that its "not real funk bass" when I play fingerstlye.
Once you get to the top, the only way to go is down.
Quote by Incubus_SCIENCE
^Thats one of those kids you just want to slap. I agree with you 100%.
yeah, a bassist does not have to slap every note

THE TREND IS DEAD!
In Vermont, Phish is king, and while they do have some slap lines, the 90% of all bands that are Phish cover bands generally don't slap. At least in my county. Therefore, its not as common and doesn't get old is fast.

I hate to sound cliche, but slap is my favorite style. For me, it is much more engaging and interesting to play on my own than anything else, fills up the soundscape a bit more, atleast in my ears. The rythmic clicks, the plunks, the speed all attracts it to me.

I almost never slap in my band though, and when I do it is generally masked by distortion.

Each to his own though. And I can see how old higher ground can get.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
when used in moderation its good, but when all you can hear is the bass *cough primus cough* it gets annoying.
Dickless.
Quote by MetalMilitia212
when used in moderation its good, but when all you can hear is the bass *cough primus cough* it gets annoying.

maybe your just not listening to everything else going on in the song. the drums always stand out, and you cant not hear larry wailing away on some crazy ass dissonant chord.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
Quote by Yertle
and when I do it is generally masked by distortion.

You slap and pop with distortion? whats that all about then? That thought has actually never crossed my mind ! Sound any good? it's 1am and i have just got back from a gig so i cant try it here......

Quote by Killibinizik
and say that its "not real funk bass" when I play fingerstlye.

Actually, if you look at the funk masters, they pretty much never slapped at all.
Oh no, I meant it is masked by GUITAR distortion -

Slap and pop with BASS distortion sounds like shit. At least when I've tried.

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

^ u've got some bad settings. some situations calls for overdriven slap and with the right settings it can sound very clear and has so much added attack and "feel"
Maybe its just personal preference than. I like my slappage clean and natural and woody sounding. Any overdrive just kills the point for me.

Quote by crazypeanutman

Usually play with fingers but I'm working on slap technique as I've only been playing about half a year but I'm improving
I love it, but usually end up overdoing it. I prefer fingerpicking when playing with other people, though. My guitarist has no idea what to do whenever I start popping and slapping.
Like everone has said before, it's all about using the technique in the right place at the right time. I only really slap the occasional fill or funky instrumental section, and my solos are all fingerstyle.

That said I am primarily a fingerstyle player and have much more control over my instrument when playing it that way. If I want to get real funky on the bass, I do it with note placement. The essence of funk is in the timing and feel, not what technique you're playing.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.