would the technique be a form of tapping or just a variation of hammer ons and pull offs. i know the technique and how to use it and intially i thought that it was a more skillful use of hamer ons and pull offs, but then i got thinking could it also be a form of tapping? Could someone please verify this for me
i dont know in the technical sense, but i consider legato and even hammer on/pull offs (not as much pull offs tho) to be tapping.

they are "literally" tapping, so thats my opinion. meh.
Legato CAN be tapping, but it would be tapping in a legato style. I hope you know the definition of legato.
Proud member of The Bass Militia! PM IndieMetalhead to join!

Quote by Fast_Bear
You know your a Bassist when you practice near the ocean, and whales respond.
Legato=smooth and connected, so yes, it could be tapping if you do it right.
Ohhh...My head hurts...

Quote by Inahrima
^ have i told you i keep misreading your title as UG's biggest bad greek?
yer i know what legato is considering joe satriani is my all time fav guitarist and he is a master if that technqiue. Tapping is essentially a series of hammer ons and pull offs so i figured why couldnt legato also be a variation of tapping. anyway its a terrific technqiue when mastered and played like satch
yea, basically, pecause don tyou hit the strign and move your fingers for a while then do it again

yea i think so
Call me Sean
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
He's just trying to protect our innocence.

Yes i am
Quote by :Vicious--

Your flirting powers are incredible.

Gear:
Schecter S1 Elite Black Cherry (Soapbar Neck, Invader Bridge)
Schecter Banshee
Orange Dual Terror
Boss CE-5
Goatkeeper
ok yeah i change my mind: tapping is a form of legato, not the other way around lol.
basically a set of notes stringed together by hammerons pulloffs slides or taps that start with one picking stroke, but there is not a new attack for each note in the series of notes. this is notated as "tied" notes
Uhg, I feel like I have to repeat myself. Legato is a playing style, characterized by connected notes and soft attacks. Tapping, slides, and HO/PO's are NOT forms of legato, they are simply techniques used in legato playing. I just took my Music Theory final, I'm a little on edge (sorry) about details.
so where do you tap the string in between the fret metal or at the fret metal itself??
In between.
UG Blues Mafia
Founding Members: Forklifterer, Steve Cropper, Crzyrckgtrst28, and TNfootballfan62

Member of the Anti-Whammy-Bar-Solo Club