Ok well I have been very interested in recording. I download Cubase and its great but the only problem is that I get a little bit of a buzzing background noise even if i plug my guitar into the computer. Its very light but you can still tell its there. I want to get some nice studio recordings without having to sell everything i own. I dont wanna spend too much ( 100$ or less, i figure cubase got me 3/4 of the way to decent recordings ) and I got my eye on this http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-TonePort-UX1-USB-RecordingModeling-Interface?sku=249700..

Is it a good buy or is tehre something better?

by the way here is my setup

Schecter Omen 6
Roland Cube 30
Dell Dimension 8400
Cubase

Thanks
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

this is probaly not gonna get you prosounding recording (you'd have spend much more than 100 bucks to sound pro),this will get yo decent recording,now heres a question.How are you gonna record? Mic your amp, or use a line out, if your micing (which i reccomend) get the ux2.It has a xlr input and phantom power.Now there is a vast array of mics so i'll only go into 1,shure sm57. One of the greatest mics i have ever used.
Quote by Chikitty_China
Well, when I'm fapping, I sometimes look at my left hand and wonder what could have been ....
That, my friend, is a good investment. That will most likely cure all of your whitenoise problems. Are you plugging your guitar into the sound card that came with your Dell?
Quote by les_paul_01
In Soviet Russia, song copyrights you!
I have the UX2 and I'm pretty pleased with it. It records with no noticable delay (and I only mention this because there HAS to be delay, I just never [ever] noticed it). I don't care too much about quality sometimes (I'm an idiot), so I do get some buzzy noises because of bad recording techniques. But really, its a good investment if you want to get decent recordings.
my music myspace!

Quote by cefasnacht
Quote by Dobzilla
I've never had peanutbutter...
wtf!?!?!?!
The Toneport is a good invesment, I too am pleased with my Ux2
Member #5 of the I <3 Schecter's Club-PM Schecter-06 to join
"Member of the Guitarists that wished they could sing because they would make fantastic frontmen club"-Pm Davidian to join
Quote by Guitaraphone06
The Toneport is a good invesment, I too am pleased with my Ux2

Edit: The Ux1 will be just as pleasing
"Member of the Guitarists that wished they could sing because they would make fantastic frontmen club"-Pm Davidian to join
I am recording to line out / microphone socket thing , whatever u wanna call it

EDIT: why is it better to record using a mic?
My Gear:
Epiphone Sheraton II
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Last edited by WlCmToTheJungle at Jun 15, 2006,
Well u get the natural tone
Using a mic on your amp sounds more realistic simply because of the design of amplifier speakers. They are more stiff and usually roll off really low and really high frequencies. If you tap into the audio signal before the speaker (ie. a line out connection) then those frequencies will still be there.
Quote by les_paul_01
what will give me a better micing tone? the UX 1 or UX 2?
My Gear:
Epiphone Sheraton II
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Pro sounding recording is only half in the equipment. The other half is how you use it. Even with 100,000.00 worth of recording gear, the recordings would still not sound pro unless you knew exactly what you were doing and how to mix and everything.

If you wan't to get someting at least decent look at the tone port as people suggest, or like the Presonus Firebox, or some M-Audio devices.
Firebox is plagged with driver issues I would shy away from that. Luckily I have a FIREPOD instead =D

Both the UX1 and UX2 use the same A/D convertors (the chips that convert analog sound into digital form for your computer) so in theory they should give you the same quality. If there's any difference it should be marginal and you could probably tweak the files in a software program so that they match up.
Quote by les_paul_01
would i be able to use my toneport with cubase other than using the recording software that comes with it?

EDIT: well i compared the two and the only difference between the UX2 and the UX1 is that the UX2 has :

? 16 classic and modern guitar amp models
? 5 stellar bass amp models
? 24 stompbox effect models
? Line 6 Edition of Ableton Live integrates seamlessly for simple, latency-free recording
? 2 XLR mic inputs with +48V phantom power
? 2 - 1/4" guitar/bass input (1 standard, 1 high-gain)
? Stereo digital output via RCA
? VU meters, assignable to input, record send, output, monitor levels

I know i dont need the effects ( considering i have a Cube amp )
Im not gonna use Ableton Live but rather cubase ( that is if i can do that )
so really the only difference is the mic inputs but its only gonna be me recording some acoustic and vocals so i dont need those but what about the stereo digital output rca? do i need that (what is that anyway?)? and the VU Meters?

thx
My Gear:
Epiphone Sheraton II
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Last edited by WlCmToTheJungle at Jun 15, 2006,
Since u mentioned acoustic and vocals, The Ux1 doesnt have phantom power, and if u are using a condenser mic I don't kno how well it would work out without phantom power. The Ux2 has that
any other opinions on the phantom power? has anyone ever recording vocals and ac guitar on it?

would i be able to use my toneport with cubase other than using the recording software that comes with it?
My Gear:
Epiphone Sheraton II
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Yes u should be able to use it with Cubase. U just have to make sure the preferences allows u to choose other sources of incoming audio. From preferences u should be able to click line in as the Toneport
hey you asked me how i recorded early and I thought I would reply to this post to let you know. Well as someone said up there that gear is only half of the issue. Hes right, actually for me its only 1/4 the issue. Adobe Audition (my software) is the other fourth. And then mixing it is half of the project. I get the perfect sound because I literally spend hours perfecting each note that I play, or making it sound full, or learning how to use Adobe Audition to the best I can. I learn something new everyday, and I get the sound i go for because I spend so much time.
Now im not saying im good, or professional or whatever but you can get amazing sounding stuff with a basic mic and a firewire input.

Heres my gear: Firewire M-Audio 410
NT1A Condenser Mic (highly recommended, its the most amazing peice of equipment Ive ever bought, and cheap too, it can do anything you want)
Shure SM 57 - i Barely ever use this, possibly because I dont do enough electric guitar work.
I really recommend getting Adobe Audition, its simple, and effect, and I never hassled with Cubase because I didnt understand it, but if you do unerstand it, im sure it works Way better.

Alright Im done
and remember im not an expert by any means there are more experianced musicians and technicians, so get there advice too
Im just trying to help out, and its not hard to find that sound that you want I promise (unless its distortion dont ask me, I suck with distortion)
is there anything below $230 that is better than the toneport UX2?
My Gear:
Epiphone Sheraton II
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

^Presonus Inspire. BY FAR.
If you want to be pro, the UX2 is just ****. Hell, it's just **** even if you don't want to be pro. The amp models suck, and that's what you're paying for.

Buy the Presonus Inspire, and an sm57. Cheap, but very functional. I don't reccomend direct input because you loose all the speaker dynamics.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
^Presonus Inspire. BY FAR.
If you want to be pro, the UX2 is just ****. Hell, it's just **** even if you don't want to be pro. The amp models suck, and that's what you're paying for.

Buy the Presonus Inspire, and an sm57. Cheap, but very functional. I don't reccomend direct input because you loose all the speaker dynamics.

I disagree, I think the Toneport has great tones and is amazing for the price. With the tones it certainly has more value for money than any other interface in its price range.

Threadstarter, if you want a demo click the dmusic link in my sig and stream 'contemplate'.
Quote by pentagram_man63
I disagree, I think the Toneport has great tones and is amazing for the price. With the tones it certainly has more value for money than any other interface in its price range.

Threadstarter, if you want a demo click the dmusic link in my sig and stream 'contemplate'.

Yea This is true I think its a great item
i also have adobe audition and use it alot to clean up notes and compress tracks. it definitely contributes to the "pro" sound. i just a UX2 and find it an excellent investment. the clean and crunch presets are really good, but the really heavy ones arent great. but because it has 2 mic inputs you can just mic up and amp and get great tone.
if you are going to be doing primarily acoustic guitar and vocals, you could just use 2 condensers on the guitar and vocals, and get a great sound. also the vocal presets in the ux2 are not bad at all.
getting a "pro" sound can be done on a low budget, it just takes experience to learn all the software and micing techniques, etc. the point is, get the ux2. good luck
So I have an M-Audio FastTrack Pro, and I love the quality when I plug my guitar in directly, or plug it into the amp and run the amps output into the M-Audio input. I was reading over this and I'm somewhat confused about what you're talking about.

Are you saying it's good to hook a condensor mic to, in this case, the FastTrack, with phantom power, and put it up the amp to get the most natural quality.
^ a condensor mic probably isnt the greatest for close micing an amp. condensors are sensitive and pick up more, that means all the pops and hums of the amp. its better to use a dynamic such as the sure SM57 close to the amp, and then if you want to use the condensor put it far away. that way the far away condensor picks up the room acoustics and the spreading sound, while the dynamic captures the raw sound of the amp and speaker. personally i just use a dynamic close to the amp, but then again i only have one mic input (which makes me sad).